PDA

View Full Version : Doing away with straights?

ZoeS
01-25-2011, 03:31 PM
My last flat project I knitted on a circular needle but it was on hand and the right size. Now I'm knitting a new project on straight needles and I find I much prefer the circular needles.

Can I do away with my straights completely or is there some reason I should keep them around?

Jan in CA
01-25-2011, 04:19 PM
You can pretty much do away with them. I have a few sets (US 9 and 10) that I keep around for teaching or in the rare instance of needing them for something, but I haven't used them in years. BTW...the only reason I have only those sizes is that those are the only ones I ever bought. I started using circulars pretty much right from the beginning.

kmaclean
01-25-2011, 05:30 PM
I use exclusively circulars as well .... if I really need straights for something particular then I will just go get that one pair (it hasn't happened yet!)

If you're most comfortable with circulars then I would just go with that. :thumbsup:

crazykntter83
01-25-2011, 06:52 PM
I don't really see much of a need for them. I have maybe 2 or 3 pair right now, from when I very first started knitting. I discovered circulars a few years ago, and they are just so much easier on my wrists. I've also discovered that I can stand and knit with them and even move around with them, which naturally thrills me. :teehee:

salmonmac
01-25-2011, 07:06 PM
I had a full complement of straights which I cheerfully gave away when I discovered how much easier and more useful circular needles were. Yes, easier on the wrist and much nicer for knitting on airplanes (and appreciated by your seatmates).

trvvn5
01-25-2011, 07:11 PM
I don't think that I've used straight needles for a few years now. You really don't need them. And I totally agree that circulars are much easier on the hands and wrists.

I have 2 pair of 9's around that I keep for the sole purpose of teaching other people with. But otherwise I'd have none.

Antares
01-25-2011, 08:35 PM
I, too, mainly use circular needles; however, I do have quite a few different sizes of straight needles as well (most of which were given to me). I'll probably keep the straight needles around since I do occasionally use them to knit up a quick swatch and for other uses--like poking the seeds out of my luffa gourds. Hee!

suzeeq
01-25-2011, 08:43 PM
I tried straights for working up a sample of a pattern and I couldn't knit with the darn things! I can see why some people have a hard time learning to knit - all the while you're holding the needles, wrapping the yarn and pulling it through you have to balance those long ends (and these were only 10") even with only one row on them.

crazykntter83
01-25-2011, 09:34 PM
I tried straights for working up a sample of a pattern and I couldn't knit with the darn things! I can see why some people have a hard time learning to knit - all the while you're holding the needles, wrapping the yarn and pulling it through you have to balance those long ends (and these were only 10") even with only one row on them.
Whenever I used to use the straights, I used to hold put the needle under my gut and hold it that way. Weird huh lol.

suzeeq
01-25-2011, 11:15 PM
A lot of people anchor one needle - in the armpit, against the leg or the knee. It's not really that unusual.

TEMA
01-25-2011, 11:27 PM
I have a pile of straights, most of which I bot secondhand. I still like them but only the shorter ones.
Right now I'm working on a flat pattern and I really dislike it... I seem to be knitting and knitting and getting nowhere. I only have 3 circular needles and none of them seem to be the right size for any pattern that I have... and I have very few circular patterns.
Added to that, I haven't found very many circular sweater patterns, which is why I'm doing a flat right now.
I'm sure there must be a way of translating the flat pattern into a circular pattern but I haven't been able to figure it out... especially when there is patterning involved.
Where does one find patterns for sweaters that are knit circularly?
TEMA :knitting:

TEMA
01-25-2011, 11:29 PM
And what about sweaters for children... the one I'm working on is for a 2 yr old. I was on Ravelry and looked at page after page of sweater patterns for kids and only found one which I bot and downloaded. IT calls for size 13 circular... not even sure where I would buy such a thing...
TEMA:knitting:

suzeeq
01-25-2011, 11:42 PM
13 circs are fairly common, try Michaels, Joanns, AC moore if you have them.

fatoldladyinpjs
01-26-2011, 12:01 AM
I only use circulars also. I never have to hunt in the sofa for a lost needle like you do for straights. I use magic loop method for knitting socks and mittens. I do keep one or two pair of double pointed needles around for doing a three needle bind off or an I cord, but that's about all I use them for. My greatest treasure is Knitpicks Harmony
Wood interchangeable circulars. I don't know how I ever got along without them.

crazykntter83
01-26-2011, 02:10 AM
A lot of people anchor one needle - in the armpit, against the leg or the knee. It's not really that unusual.
hmmmmmm. I thought I was just weird. Thanks for making me feel better Suzee. :mrgreen:

Breezed
01-26-2011, 07:58 AM
I only knit with circs now and sometimes dpns but I have learned the magic loop method and that's much better for me. I have Knitpicks interchangables in acrylic and I do love them.

I also used to brace/push the needle with my thigh or tummy.

cacunn
01-26-2011, 08:57 AM
I'm sure there must be a way of translating the flat pattern into a circular pattern but I haven't been able to figure it out... especially when there is patterning involved.

TEMA you don't have to convert a pattern from flat to circular needles. You use the circular needles to knit flat. Don't join the yarn, knit from one end to the other, stop turn the work and knit back.

Edit: eHow has information on converting flat to circular (http://www.ehow.com/how_5063169_convert-knitting-pattern-circular-needles.html)

Edit: Also do a search on "converting flat to circular" for a lot of information.

It is easier to do than to explain.

patterns for knitting sweaters in the round:

http://www.jessica-tromp.nl/circleknittingpatternsroundknittingcircular.htm

Look to the bottom of the page.

cftwo
01-26-2011, 09:49 AM
I actually prefer straights for small projects - I hardly ever use the 14" straights because they can get weighed down so quickly. The short circular needles drive me nuts because the needles themselves are so short. So for scarves, in particular, I get out my straights.

CoolWool
01-26-2011, 01:18 PM
Ha! I thought for sure that was the silliest question ever (get rid of your straights!??) - - but now I see that I'm the silly one for loving my straights! There's just something cool about knitting a scarf with a giant pair of bamboo 19's. I actually prefer straights to circulars. In fact, I've been using DPNs whenever possible just to avoid buying circulars. I actually considered buying a Boyle (sp?) circular set last week because I had a coupon for 50% off - - - but I decided not to because I've read too many horror stories about them coming unscrewed and ruining your work when your 3/4 of the way done!!:hair:

Jan in CA
01-26-2011, 02:15 PM
I actually considered buying a Boyle (sp?) circular set last week because I had a coupon for 50% off - - - but I decided not to because I've read too many horror stories about them coming unscrewed and ruining your work when your 3/4 of the way done!!:hair:

Uhh...for every story you read there are probably hundreds of stories of people who love them and have never had a problem. The ones who have problems speak the loudest..those of us who love them are sitting quietly and knitting.

I'm not disputing that it may have ruined one persons work, but really..you just fix it and replace the stitches on the needle. And there are ways to pretty much prevent them from coming unscrewed. I had it happen once and never have again now that I screw them on with the key and a grippy.

suzeeq
01-26-2011, 02:43 PM
YEah, I agree with Jan, usually it's only the people with a bad experience who speak out; for every one of them there's 10 that are quite happy. An interchangeable circ that comes apart is due to the knitter not screwing them tightly enough, not a problem with the needles. And while it's a frustrating irritation, it doesn't really ruin your work, you just fix it and make sure they're screwed on tighter.

Shandeh
01-26-2011, 02:53 PM
I have all kinds of knitting needles, straight, circular, and dpns. Every one of them is useful.

I use the 14" long straights for scratching my back. :teehee:
The 10" straights are for knitting scarves.
My circulars are for wide projects (afghans, cardigans), or for knitting in the round (hats, pullovers).
My dpns are for socks and gloves and mittens.

Jan in CA
01-26-2011, 03:56 PM

Absolutely! I forgot about doing this! Guess my back hasn't itched lately. :roflhard:

crazykntter83
01-26-2011, 04:17 PM
My gf does that too. I think that's about as useful as they get.:rofl:
I have to agree with ya'll about people usually only having something to say when something's wrong. Why don't we show our appreciation for a product that we love more?
I know that I LOVE my knitpicks options. :inlove: They're a dream to knit with, and they make my heart smile every time I knit with them. They just knit soooooo smoothly....ahhh, so nice. :)
I haven't tried the boye(?) needle master set or anything. I can say though, that I do like their fixed circular knitting needles. My only complaint is that their cable can be a bit stiff, but that's fixed easily enough with some stretching. Other than that, I don't mind knitting with them. :)

Jan in CA
01-26-2011, 04:26 PM
Ohhh I love my Knitpicks Options! I have friends who've bought Signature needles and Addis and they are lovely, but cost prohibitive for me. I'll stick to my Options!

That is exactly what I don't like about Boye circulars. The cable is too stiff and I don't want to bother straightening before I can knit. :lol:

Michaele
01-26-2011, 05:39 PM
CIRCULARS ALL THE WAY. I use Boye. I need to get some replacement parts. Although, I've been considering just purchasing a new set all together. What do you guys think?

Shandeh
01-26-2011, 05:45 PM
I have a Boye circular set and two Denise circular sets. I use them a LOT! It depends on the yarn, as to which needles I use. I usually start off with the Denise needles, and will switch to the Boyes if the yarn sticks to the needles too much.

I prefer fixed circulars, though. I just don't have enough of all the different sizes to keep up with the number of WIPs I have going! So, the interchangeables are necessary.

crazykntter83
01-26-2011, 09:22 PM
Ohhh I love my Knitpicks Options! I have friends who've bought Signature needles and Addis and they are lovely, but cost prohibitive for me. I'll stick to my Options!

That is exactly what I don't like about Boye circulars. The cable is too stiff and I don't want to bother straightening before I can knit. :lol:
Yeah, I can't afford the Addi's or the Signature needles. I had gotten my Knitpicks Options a few years back for Christmas and absolutely LOVE them. :inlove:

lol I know what you mean, about not wanting to straighten before you knit. A couple weeks ago, I went to use my Boye needles for a project, and the cable was all stiff and still in that coil type thing from being in a package, and of course I wasn't think and it started knitting without straightening. That was FUN. :zombie:

suzeeq
01-27-2011, 10:35 AM
Straighten the needles once, then don't curl them up and put them back in the package.

CoolWool
01-27-2011, 01:28 PM
I've been thinking about getting a Denise set... But now I'm worried that I'll want to toss all of my beautiful straights if I do get it!

KatzKnitter
01-27-2011, 01:40 PM
I'm just learning, and I tuck the end of the right needle between my knees. Going to try circulars.

crazykntter83
01-27-2011, 02:10 PM
I'm just learning, and I tuck the end of the right needle between my knees. Going to try circulars.
You won't regret trying them. They're so much easier on your wrists. Plus, you won't have to find some awkward place to stick the other needle. Good luck with them!! :mrgreen:

Jan in CA
01-27-2011, 02:21 PM
I have a set of Denise that I bought as my first circulars. Don't use them much anymore since I bought the Options. I wish they would send you one set and a cable so you could see how they feel before you buy, but they do have lots of devotees. There's even a Rav group called Denise Divas. :lol:

Just for the record - You can do that with Knitpicks needles if you ever want to try those. They have a TRY IT Set with cables and the three types of needle tips or you can buy one cable and needle set if you prefer.

KatzKnitter
01-27-2011, 02:56 PM

Have you tried Googling the search? :knitting:

crazykntter83
01-27-2011, 04:08 PM
I have a set of Denise that I bought as my first circulars. Don't use them much anymore since I bought the Options. I wish they would send you one set and a cable so you could see how they feel before you buy, but they do have lots of devotees. There's even a Rav group called Denise Divas. :lol:

Just for the record - You can do that with Knitpicks needles if you ever want to try those. They have a TRY IT Set with cables and the three types of needle tips or you can buy one cable and needle set if you prefer.
Wow, I had no idea that knitpicks had that option. That's awesome! I might have to do that with their Harmonie's, I've been thinking about buying that set since I love the nickel plated needles so much.

Jan in CA
01-27-2011, 04:16 PM
Wow, I had no idea that knitpicks had that option. That's awesome! I might have to do that with their Harmonie's, I've been thinking about buying that set since I love the nickel plated needles so much.

If you order the one I linked to you get all three types -Zephyrs, Harmonies and Options to test. Options are the nickel plated ones. They come with 24" cables I think. When I tried them they didn't have the trial set so I only bought one set of Options, but I have since bought a trial set of Harmonies and and Zephyr, but I've never used them yet. :lol:

No matter what you buy if you don't like them you're not out much. One note... They don't come with a cable that will make a 16 inch circular. They do sell them separately though. The needle tip is shorter to accommodate that small circle. I bought several of my most used sizes, but I find nowadays that I usually just use magic loop. I bought some 40" cables just for that. :)

kmaclean
01-27-2011, 04:18 PM

I have a full set of the nickel plated Options too! KnitPicks is really great with the variety that they offer .... I got the "Try It" set before I purchased my Options and it was great! It lets you try out the different needle tips to decide which is best for you. I LOVE the look and feel of the Harmony needles, but my hands are always so hot that I know my yarn would be constantly sticking ... I like the slide that the nickel plated tips offer. The really great thing about the KnitPicks needles though is that all of their cables/needles are interchangeable ... so you can purchase a variety of needle tips and use the same cables with all of them (or quickly switch from one type of tip to another without having to take your work off the cable!)

crazykntter83
01-27-2011, 06:04 PM
Oh I know....I just love how smoothly my options knit...it almost makes me drool a little every time I knit with them.:whistle: Before I had only ever used the el-cheap-o knitting needles from Wal-Mart. Not that there's anything wrong with them. The options are just such better quality. I've never tried wood needles, so I would really like to try the harmonies. My only concern is, I am so hot natured, and from what I understand, they do get kinda warm after knitting with them for a while. But still. I wanna try them. :mrgreen:

Aimee88uk
01-28-2011, 02:31 AM
I'm fairly new to knitting, and spent about a year diligently buying straight needles of all sizes. I even kept an excel file on my phone, so when I was out at boot sales, I would know what I didn't have. LOL. I even sewed a nice roll up to store them that matches my knitting bag. Then I decided I wanted to try circular needles so I could make some cool hat patterns I found. Then I read that you could use them like straight needles, and I was intrigued. A couple months ago I found sets of bamboo circular needles on Ebay and bought two complete sets, one 40cm long and the other 60cm. I haven't used my straight ones since! Oh, I still haven't done those cool hats, either, because I realized that most of them need the double pointed ones at some point, too. That will be my next venture!

Jan in CA
01-28-2011, 03:11 AM
Oh, I still haven't done those cool hats, either, because I realized that most of them need the double pointed ones at some point, too. That will be my next venture!

If you learn to use two circulars or do magic loop you won't need to use DPNs at all! :thumbsup:

Aimee88uk
01-28-2011, 05:49 AM
If you learn to use two circulars or do magic loop you won't need to use DPNs at all! :thumbsup:

Oh? Please, tell me more!! :)

kmaclean
01-28-2011, 09:39 AM
I've never tried wood needles, so I would really like to try the harmonies. My only concern is, I am so hot natured, and from what I understand, they do get kinda warm after knitting with them for a while. But still. I wanna try them. :mrgreen:

The Harmonies really are lovely .... if you get a chance I'd definitely recommend trying them out. Since you already have the Options, you could just get one set of the Harmony tips (in whatever size you want) and you would have everything you need to try them out! :knitting:

Oh? Please, tell me more!! :)

I'd definitely recommend checking out the "Videos" tab at the top of the page .... there are videos on the different methods of circular knitting (including using the magic loop method) which can really help you get started. Most people have a favourite method of circular knitting, but it's great to know the different techniques since they come in handy in different situations. :thumbsup:

suzeeq
01-28-2011, 10:24 AM
You can use 2 needles to do the top with, one of each length.

kittykins
01-28-2011, 10:45 AM
I did it! I did it! One of my New Year's Resolutions was to learn to knit with DPN's and circular needles. I've been paying close attention to this thread and all the comments being posted. Well this morning I ordered the TRY IT Needle Set from Knitpicks!!! Now I am super excited:woot: ! I can't wait to try them out! This TRY IT set is perfect for those of us who are just beginning to enter the wonderful wide world of circular knitting. Can't wait for them to arrive! Can't wait, can't wait. Did I happen to mention that I can't wait?:happydance: Jeanie

kmaclean
01-28-2011, 11:28 AM
Good luck Jeanie! :hug:

Like I mentioned, the Try It set is great and I'm sure you won't regret it .... one of the types of needle tips will surely speak to you! :woohoo:

kittykins
01-28-2011, 12:20 PM
Thanks kmaclean!
Many, MANY years ago I did buy some circular needles. Can't remember where I bought them or even the brand name. I do remember however that they weren't a very pleasant experience for me. The cable was stiff and as I recall, stitches didn't move smoothly from the cable onto the needle tip. That's when I simply gave up and stayed with the straights. I think that's all about to change here very soon!

crazykntter83
01-28-2011, 02:04 PM
Thanks kmaclean!
Many, MANY years ago I did buy some circular needles. Can't remember where I bought them or even the brand name. I do remember however that they weren't a very pleasant experience for me. The cable was stiff and as I recall, stitches didn't move smoothly from the cable onto the needle tip. That's when I simply gave up and stayed with the straights. I think that's all about to change here very soon!
I think you're going to really love them. :) The cable isn't stiff at all. It's very...relaxed, I guess you'd call it. Congrats on ordering the needles, you won't regret it!! :thumbsup:

Jan in CA
01-28-2011, 02:12 PM
I highly recommend you get some of that grippy shelf liner and cut out a square to use with your needles. It's the stuff that looks like this -
http://www.target.com/Basic-Grip-Shelf-Liner-White/dp/B001TGK48W
It doesn't have to be that one, just so it looks like that. I keep a piece of this in my knitting bag. To use it you fold it over the needle and it helps you grip it to tighten (along with the tightening key they give you). I've never had a needle come unscrewed. It also helps to loosen the needle when changing sizes.

Oh and... they do loose their grip after awhile so I just cut a new one and I'm good to go.

kittykins
01-28-2011, 02:55 PM
Thanks for the tip Jan!:hug: I know exactly what type of shelf liner you're talking about because I've bought it before.

TEMA
01-29-2011, 01:52 AM
Hi to KatzKnitter.... thank you for your imput. I have looked on Google for circular sweater patterns but haven't found any nice easy ones that would suit me... and most of what I found was for straights.
As for this discussion... I love my circulars... that's why I want some patterns. I had to give up looking for a pattern for a toddler outfit and just knit it on my straights, which I hated to do. It is finally getting done. I've just started on the sleeves... but I don't like using long 4mm needles in straight. I have to hit one of the needles against my chest so it doesn't fling out and get lost on the floor... :)
I, too, am thinking seriously about getting a set of some sort.
I was at the lys the other day and she showed me some Addis that were bamboo. I didn't like the look of it and certainly didn't think much of the price for what it looked like I would be getting. The store owner seems pretty pushy to me so I will be looking for my circulars online.
TEMA :knitting: :knitting: :thumbsup:

crazykntter83
01-29-2011, 01:59 AM
The store owner seems pretty pushy to me so I will be looking for my circulars online.
For me, it never helps when the person trying to make the sale is being pushy about it. For me, that'll just turn me off from the product even more.
Anyway, good luck in your search for the perfect set. :)

KatzKnitter
01-29-2011, 03:06 AM
I doubt I would need every size. Does anyone sell the cable with the option of buying separately only those size ends you need?

Debkcs
01-29-2011, 03:15 AM
I use straight needles to hold my hair up out of my eyes, works like a charm. Use circular for everything else. Have a set of Denise, and a set of Options. Like them both,but want a set of Harmony because i like the colors. Maybe next Christmas.

Aimee88uk
01-29-2011, 04:48 AM
I'd definitely recommend checking out the "Videos" tab at the top of the page .... there are videos on the different methods of circular knitting (including using the magic loop method) which can really help you get started. Most people have a favourite method of circular knitting, but it's great to know the different techniques since they come in handy in different situations. :thumbsup:

Thank you. I'll do that!

cacunn
01-29-2011, 07:58 AM
I doubt I would need every size. Does anyone sell the cable with the option of buying separately only those size ends you need?

I Believe that most interchangeable needles can be purchased singularly as well as set. I know that, Knitpick, Denise, Boye and, my favorite, Hiya Hiya all sell both needles and cables individually.

suzeeq
01-29-2011, 08:58 AM
You can use circular needles to knit straight with.

Jan in CA
01-29-2011, 02:03 PM
I know that, Knitpick, Denise, Boye and, my favorite, Hiya Hiya all sell both needles and cables individually.

Oh! I bought mine (Denise) 5 yrs ago or so and at that time they didn't. I hadn't heard that. Thanks for the info. :thumbsup:

ArtLady1981
01-29-2011, 02:10 PM
I keep my vintage straights in a place of honor on my knitting shelves! They served me well, and I'm kinda attached to them! Sentimental I guess you'd say.

However, I purchased the full set of KnitPicks Harmony 10" straights last year. I use them to bindoff on long stretches, like along the ribbing of a cardigan, or hoodie, or on a blanket. The pointiness of the KnitPicks Harmony and the slight grab are perfect for binding off.

Using a straight needle (in the right hand) to bind off from the circular that's holding the stitches is very fast and efficient. I typically use a two sizes larger for the bindoff needle.

Also, I like to knit some scarves with straights.

My advice: use your new circs to knit flat, or in-the-round, but don't toss out your straights.