PDA

View Full Version : The new acrylics--are they hot?

KatzKnitter
01-27-2011, 01:09 AM
I've taken up knitting again after a lapse of 35 years, and the number of new fibers and blends is amazing. Bamboo! Soy! I've begun with blends of wool or alpaca and acrylic for hats right now, but the selections at my LYS don't compare to that of acrylics.

I see many different grades and textures of acrylic. The issue I generally have with pure synthetics is that I perspire in them. Have some of the new soft acrylics like Caron Simply Soft overcome that problem, or will I still feel like I'm wearing a plastic sweater?

Jan in CA
01-27-2011, 01:19 AM
Welcome to Knitting Help!

I don't think the single fiber acrylics are any different that way... acrylic is acrylic I think. They are definitely softer than the old ones that's for sure.

If you get a blend with cotton, wool or some other fiber it makes a big difference. One of my favorites right now to knit with Plymouth Jeannee.

KatzKnitter
01-27-2011, 07:13 AM
That looks like a practical yarn. Where do you buy yours?

suzeeq
01-27-2011, 10:45 AM
I usually knit at a looser gauge, like on size 10s for worsted, and that keeps the yarn from being so densely knit that the item gets too hot for me - either acrylic or wool.

Jan in CA
01-27-2011, 02:35 PM
That looks like a practical yarn. Where do you buy yours?

I usually buy it at my LYS (local yarn store), but you can find it online. Here's just one place of many -
http://www.yarn.com/webs-knitting-crochet-yarns-plymouth/webs-knitting-yarns-plymouth-jeanee/

You can also try what Sue suggested and knit at a looser gauge.