PDA

View Full Version : FO: Rowan Calmer Baby Log Cabin done!

ArtLady1981
01-29-2011, 01:25 PM
For my great-grandson, due in June! This yarn is a cotton blend by Rowan, "Calmer". The yarn is real springy. I think it will be a great summer blankie for a newborn. His momma can cover him, or wrap him up like a burrito. The springiness of the yarn makes a great "burrito wrap"!

Anyway, I was going to make it bigger...but ran out of yarn, and incentive, to go farther. I did have enough of that light lavendar...but didn't want to set it on the very outside logs. I didn't like it as much as I thought I would with the more saturated colors. But one round of it is ok.

I think 33"x36" is a perfect newborn size, don't you?

My Rav notes, (http://www.ravelry.com/projects/ArtLady/easy-4-colour-log-cabin-baby-blanket) if you care to peek at my blogginess.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5013/5398596058_3fd7a914ed.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5132/5398599068_47bc82b0a8.jpg

Jan in CA
01-29-2011, 01:55 PM
I love it! It's beautiful!!:inlove:

TrikkeAddict
01-29-2011, 02:15 PM
Beautiful!!! Love the colors!!! And the size is perfect!!

kmaclean
01-29-2011, 06:07 PM
Beautiful! I love your log cabin blankets ... I'm definitely going to have to try one soon! :yay:

Woodi
01-29-2011, 07:08 PM
Oh golly that is so beautiful, Artlady!...I tried a log cabin blanket blanket once, and just could not get it straight...It's still in my UFO box....you are so skilled, I admire you your precision, and exactitude. Are you a Virgo by any chance?

and yes, I would say that size is perfect for a newborn. I read your blog on Ravelry too....very charming place you have up there in the hills.

Because of your new log cabin effort here, I went to my stash and found the ugly old thing I started 2 years ago....I can't believe I never threw it out. Notice my creative use of crochet on the bottom (dark brown) row?... Now what do I do with it? Maybe a cat shelter will take it....

http://www.soapmaker.ca/SoapPics/unsqrBlankey.JPG

Debkcs
01-29-2011, 08:11 PM
Woodi, a cat shelter? :roflhard: :mrgreen: :roflhard:

Sorry, but that is just so funny. Maybe someone here can help you out. I've found that tinking is good for the soul, when you make the project right.

Dollyce, the newer one is prettier to me than the other one, like the colors better. You sure have a lot of kiddies coming your way.

twoxover
01-30-2011, 12:05 AM
absolutely gorgeous!!!!! and from your photo...way too young to be a grandma, much less a great grandma!

Woodi
01-30-2011, 01:50 PM
Tinking is good for the soul, you say? Well, maybe I ought to give my soul a lift by taking this out, row by ugly row.

It's strange how I managed to get fond of it, even though ugly.....like loving the ugliest cat in a shelter.

Jan in CA
01-30-2011, 02:17 PM
Woodi..it looks like maybe you threw in a few short rows there on that bottom dark brown row..? Maybe you should just continue and do that all the way around. Make it wonky on purpose and who'll be the wiser? ;)

mks22300
01-30-2011, 07:38 PM
Love the colors and such a neat looking blankie!

Woodi
01-31-2011, 09:56 AM
Artlady, can you suggest a pattern to me that would help me to become a better knitter? I'm thinking maybe your 4-seasons throw? It would need to be something which holds my interest, is fun and never boring....(I have a titch of ADD)...and can use fun colors.

or is knitting a talent, and one either has it or doesn't? (remember, I'm 63 years old and don't have as much time as a youngster might have, to learn and practice....

TIA!

Jan in CA
01-31-2011, 12:54 PM
Artlady, can you suggest a pattern to me that would help me to become a better knitter? I'm thinking maybe your 4-seasons throw? It would need to be something which holds my interest, is fun and never boring....(I have a titch of ADD)...and can use fun colors.

TIA!

I'm not Artlady of course, but thought I'd add my two cents. I've always liked this sampler afghan. It's in a solid, but no reason you couldn't make the squares different colors.
http://www.garnstudio.com/lang/en/visoppskrift.php?d_nr=124&d_id=3&lang=us

ArtLady1981
01-31-2011, 01:22 PM

The 4-seasons throw would be a good one! Mine is knit all in one piece, 3 blocks across, using intarsia to connect the blocks as the colors change across the row. And it uses the picking-up stitches method to build the next tier of blocks.

or is knitting a talent, and one either has it or doesn't? IMHO, knitting is an ability that most people possess but don't tap into. I think it requires desire, passion and stick-to-it-ive-ness to develop our ability. (definition of sticktoitiveness: dogged perseverance; resolute tenacity; the ability to stay with a project and see it through to completion.) I'm ACES in sticktoitiveness! :thumbsup:

IMO, where true talent becomes the IT factor is designing! (definitely not me)
Our own MerigoldinWa here at KH has that true talent.

I might have the ability to design...but I sure don't have the desire or passion. With MerigoldinWa...designing her own knits part of who she is! She also has the knitting skills
to carry out her artistic designs.

Pattern-writing is a department of its own! I've heard that pattern-writing software exists that helps designers put their designs into black-and-white for publication. But I don't know what that software might be.

I'm in awe of the designing talent that we see in the Knitting World today. It boggles my mind.

I feel blessed that I'm able to follow directions and knit something beautiful that someone else designed and published! :happydance:

chj
02-02-2011, 01:44 PM
ArtLady - I LOVE the colors in that blankie!! :heart: :heart: :heart: I really need to start another one of those. Never did one with the colors all around like that. It's beautiful (we expect nothing less of you, haha!!)

Breezed
02-03-2011, 10:46 AM
Great work, as always. It's beautiful and I love the colors.

WandaT
02-03-2011, 11:03 AM
Love the colors in this one. I have yet to do a log cabin. You sure do crank them out!! Tell me, how do you weave your ends in so they don't stick out and/or start "unweaving?" I've tried lots of different techniques but am not thrilled with any of them.

ArtLady1981
02-03-2011, 02:27 PM
how do you weave your ends in so they don't stick out and/or start "unweaving?" I've tried lots of different techniques but am not thrilled with any of them.

It's tricky. Mostly, I leave a 4-5" tail, weaving and embedding it into the seamline ridge, first going west, then doing a u-turn and weaving east, if ya know what I mean.

Another thing, some yarns lend themselves to knots. By that I mean, they easily tie into a teeny, strong knot, unlikely to come undone. I've been known to do that, too, snipping the tails right next to the knot. Shhhhhh, don't tell! :teehee:

Lisa R.
02-03-2011, 03:30 PM
For my great-grandson, due in June!

WHAT???!!! How can that be? You must be from a long line of people having babies at age 12, because you do NOT look old enough to be a great-grandmother.

Love the blanket. The colors are beautiful together.

Jackie M.
02-03-2011, 04:02 PM
Picasso would be so proud. I agree with Jan. Keep going and make it look like it was supposed to be that way. BTY, an animal shelter would love to have it no matter what.

Jaxhil
02-08-2011, 10:12 AM
It's gorgeous! I love the colors you chose!

MerigoldinWA
02-13-2011, 01:49 PM
Dollyce, you are going to town on the log cabin quilts. :eyes: I love this one. The one round of the lighter lavender is great in there. I love, love, love Rowan Calmer! I always thought it would be great for babies because it is soooo soft. A very nice gift. :heart: