PDA

View Full Version : new to knitting & circular needles

sherrillbj
01-30-2011, 01:27 AM
I just bought my first circular needles and I want to make a gauge. I am looking at the needles and can't understand how you cast on to such small needles with the plastic hoop? I need to cast on about 15 for my gauge. They are 9.5.

Thanks

Daylilydayzed
01-30-2011, 01:34 AM
You cast on the needle part, and treat it like a straight needle since you are not knitting the gauge sample in the round.

Jan in CA
01-30-2011, 01:34 AM
You cast on normally to one end just like you do with straight needles.

sherrillbj
01-30-2011, 04:08 PM
What do I do when I want to start knitting and I need to cast on 60? The needles look short and I am not sure what the wire is for besides holding the two needles together. Is there a picture I can look at to see what it looks like?

Thanks for your help Sherrill

suzeeq
01-30-2011, 04:23 PM
If you're going to knit flat just cast on the sts; because the cord is so much thinner than the needles you can get about twice as many sts on it as with a straight needle. Cast on then put the sts in your L hand and knit the first row. When you get to the end of the row turn the work around and start the next row just like you do with straights. If you want to knit in the round, 60 sts may not be quite enough to fit all the way around, you'll have to use the single loop (http://south-mountain-naturally.blogspot.com/2009/01/tutorial-single-loop-instead-of-magic.html) technique.