PDA

View Full Version : Sock Yarn Question

crazykntter83
01-31-2011, 01:18 AM
I'm working on my very first sock, and I was wondering, generally, does a skein of sock yarn come with enough yarn for two socks, or am I going to need to purchase a second skein? I'm using Paton's Stretch socks, if that helps any. Thanks guys!! :muah: :hug:

Jan in CA
01-31-2011, 01:38 AM
If you're making regular length average size socks I think you need around 400-450 yds. You will probably need to get another skein unless you're just making little short socks..then in might work. Some sock yarns come with enough yarn for a pair.
http://www.fiber2yarn.com/info/how_much_yarn.htm

kmaclean
01-31-2011, 01:39 AM
It really depends on the pattern you're using and the size you're making. I believe Paton's Stretch has 239 yards in a skein .... if you're making a basic adult sized pair of socks, I'm thinking that one skein probably won't be enough. You could probably get a pair out of one skein if you made the leg shorter though - ankle socks will use significantly less yarn.

Good luck .... can't wait to see pics of your first pair! :knitting:

crazykntter83
01-31-2011, 01:50 AM
I'm thinking that I'm just gonna do four inches for the ribbing. I don't think that I want them to be particulary long. I can't wait to move onto....the heel flap I think it is, but I'm nervous. I'll definitely be posting pics though. :) Thanks guys!! :hug:

mamapaulsel
01-31-2011, 10:33 AM
I love to knit socks and can't wait to see how your first pair turns out. Good luck!

Jan~thanks for the helpful information on yardage. I printed it off and put that web site on my favorites so that I can refer back to it.

suzeeq
01-31-2011, 12:06 PM
Usually you need about 100 gms so if it comes in 50 gm skeins, you'll need 2. Some yarns come 100 gm to the skein.

crazykntter83
01-31-2011, 12:39 PM
Ok thanks Sue. I'll have to see if I can find my little yarn wrapper thingy and see what it says....but then again I can look online. Duh! lol.

Jan in CA
01-31-2011, 01:52 PM
Your skein is 50 gms.

crazykntter83
01-31-2011, 08:19 PM
Your skein is 50 gms.
Okie doke. I'll be off to Hobby Lobby to get some more sock yarn before the big blizzard gets here then. :)

KatzKnitter
02-01-2011, 12:51 AM
Hey, Crazy, weather's covering a big area. We're going to have the same weather in NY tonight through Wednesday. That will make a total of over 60" since Christmas.
:mad:
I was looking at that same sock yarn today, in preparation for maybe starting socks. How do you stop it from stretching on the needle while you knit?

crazykntter83
02-01-2011, 12:57 AM
It doesn't really stretch much, as far as I can tell. I like working witht the yarn. I picked one out that has pink, brown, cream, and green, and I really like the way it's striping. I'll have to post some pics later. I'm only two inches into my ribbing, but I'm just trying to take my time with it, that way I don't overwhelm myself. :)

KatzKnitter
02-01-2011, 01:53 AM
Why are they made with such crazy color combos? Are there any brands that are more conservative in their spectrum?

Jan in CA
02-01-2011, 02:02 AM
Why are they made with such crazy color combos? Are there any brands that are more conservative in their spectrum?

Sure there are. Socks are the one place knitters just like to go wild with colors. More brands than most other yarns, too. Check out this list of all the sock yarns and it's not a complete list.. :zombie:
http://www.simplysockyarn.com/servlet/Page?template=SockYarn

Now some conservative colors -
http://www.knitpicks.com/yarns/Stroll_Sock_Yarn__D5420133.html
http://www.yarn.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product.browse/categoryAlias_name/webs-knitting-crochet-yarns-solid-sock-yarn/categoryID/157cdde4-a245-4132-9fdc-77ca47b5dc42/?resultsPerPage=48&sortType=

Actually.. just search solids under sock yarns at some place like yarn.com. You'll get a lot of choices. Too many to list. ;)

KatzKnitter
02-01-2011, 02:23 AM
Might be a generational thing. I dress conservatively, and the wild color combinations wouldn't match anything. Thanks for the search.

Jan in CA
02-01-2011, 02:26 AM
Might be a generational thing. I dress conservatively, and the wild color combinations wouldn't match anything. Thanks for the search.

They don't match anything I'd wear either, but I make house socks in pretty colors. :thumbsup:

KatzKnitter
02-01-2011, 02:27 AM
I go barefoot in the house. :woot: Very warm apartment.