PDA

View Full Version : Finished first large 3D project--zip-front cardi

Antares
01-31-2011, 04:26 PM
Okay, here's the zip-front cardi I've been working on. Thanks to everyone who helped.

This pattern is one of Paton's free ones (http://www.patonsyarns.com/pattern.php?PID=4966&cps=21191). However, I didn't want the flared sleeves, so I unflared them.

I see from this picture that I have some more blocking to do as the knitting around the zipper isn't very straight, but nonetheless, here's my first 3D knit project (other than a hat).

The sleeves are a tad too long, and I didn't sew them on correctly (I think I used some kind of whip stitch, which isn't what I intended). Oh well!

Jackie M.
01-31-2011, 04:28 PM
Great job! :cheering: I'm envious of anyone who can knit a sweater and have it come together so perfect.

TEMA
01-31-2011, 04:32 PM
I love this sweater! And with a zipper too! I haven't gotten that far yet... but you give me hope for the future. Great pattern...
I wouldn't point out any inaccuracies if I were you. I think the sweater looks just perfect... :) :thumbsup:
TEMA :knitting:

kmaclean
01-31-2011, 04:48 PM
Looks great .... congrats on finishing your first sweater! :woohoo:

Antares
01-31-2011, 04:59 PM
Thanks to all of you for your kind comments.

All in all, this was a pretty good first project for me to do. This pattern has great sketches with measurements all over the place, so even if my gauge per inch was off somewhat, I could measure everything, compare it to the schematic, and get it to come out somewhat close (close enough to block it and make it work, at any rate).

The yarn I used (Deborah Norville's Serenity Chunky Weight yarn) is a bit fuzzy for a jacket, but it is nice and warm. I guess I'll just have to shave the thing periodically!

ArtLady1981
02-01-2011, 09:50 PM
It's perfect! I really like the design! Very simple, very sporty! I saved the pattern into my DroidX! Hard to find zip jackets that use chunky yarn!

We're verrrry proud of you! Wonderful work! :thumbsup:

Jan in CA
02-02-2011, 12:28 AM
It's beautiful!! What do you mean by 3D?

Antares
02-02-2011, 05:17 PM
Thanks again for all the nice comments. I feel like I accomplished something! (Okay, I guess I actually did.) You guys are great motivation for finishing projects, I tell ya!

Jan, I called this a "3D project" because . . . okay, because I'm weird.

It's because I often think of knitting and crocheting in terms of geometry (and I was an English major and so not into math, so this is probably really really corny!): I think of the yarn as a line; any knitted or crocheted flat piece (such as an afghan, a swatch, or a knit or crocheted flat section of a garment) as the plane; and a garment, stuffed toy, etc. as a three dimensional object!

:shrug: Yeah, weird!

Jan in CA
02-02-2011, 08:36 PM
Ah, I see. Too me 3D implies a fabric that has something like bobbles on it or maybe big fat cables. :lol:

Breezed
02-03-2011, 10:52 AM
I don't see any of the flaws you pointed out. It looks great.

MerigoldinWA
02-13-2011, 01:11 PM
It looks good. You got the sleeves on there and that is the most important thing (some folks chicken out at this point and never finish). You learned a lot, things will be even better next time, but this is great.:cheering: