PDA

View Full Version : FO: Felted Hi-Tops

Slim
01-31-2011, 11:44 PM
I made these to replace my worn-out felted clogs, but this time I wanted something that would keep my ankles a little warmer. I modified the clog pattern to make a short boot, and they are so warm!

Pattern: Fiber Trends Felted Clogs (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/felted-clogs-ac-33)
Yarn: Patons Classic Wool in Plum Heather and Dark Grey Mix
Details on my Ravelry page: http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Slim/felted-clogs-ac-33-2

crazykntter83
02-01-2011, 01:16 AM
ooooooooooooooh those look like they'll keep your feet nice and toasty!! I love the colors!! :inlove: Great job!!! :muah: :yay:

Jan in CA
02-01-2011, 01:26 AM
OMG those are awesome!! I ♥ them!

I am in the market for new slippers AND I have the pattern, but knew my ankles would be too cold! Perfect timing!

Debbie
02-01-2011, 09:30 AM
LOVE THEM !

kmaclean
02-01-2011, 09:54 AM
Those are AWESOME! Great modifications and I love the colors you used as well! :inlove:

hyperactive
02-01-2011, 11:01 AM
these look amazing! So equal and such smooth texture! Great job and happy feet!

Doublereeder2
02-01-2011, 03:26 PM
They look fabulous!! I can't wait to see how you made them :cheering:

TEMA
02-01-2011, 04:10 PM
Wonderful! Love the colour and the shape... beautiful buttons as well... :inlove:
TEMA

CoolWool
02-01-2011, 06:40 PM
Wow those are really cool - good work!! I really like the colors and the button. :thumbsup:

ArtLady1981
02-01-2011, 09:11 PM
FABULOUS work, Marilyn! Great modifications, too! I do love the look of the boot cut! Amazing!.

Breezed
02-03-2011, 10:56 AM
Very cool. Those are wonderful.

WandaT
02-03-2011, 11:05 AM
Wow! They turned out awesome!! Off to look at your mods!!

Ronda
02-07-2011, 07:50 AM
I love them! Your version is terrific. I'm always amazed when someone can make those kind of modifications. I have to stick to a pattern.

gouranga
02-07-2011, 12:25 PM
Wow! Those are great!

Mokumegane
02-07-2011, 02:50 PM
Ooh, those are nice! You know what they look like though? They look like galoshes!

Jaxhil
02-08-2011, 10:36 AM
oooh!! Those are fantastic, and what a lovely color~so warm and cozy looking, I want some too :)

twoxover
02-08-2011, 05:48 PM
they are SO CUTE!

bambi
02-08-2011, 06:45 PM
Those booties are wonderful! Love the colors.

Debkcs
02-08-2011, 07:12 PM
You did a great job on making the changes you wanted, Slim. I've tried felting in the past, seems I need a remedial class in the way to do it.

Mokumegane
02-08-2011, 09:53 PM
Felting is pretty easy and I love doing it. Not sure what method was used here (machine or hand) but it's pretty much the same either way... just by hand is more elbow grease. I've felted by hand because we didn't have a working water heater... lol... and really loved it. By machine, you put the item(s) in a pillow case, then into the washing machine with a few things to agitate with... it's basically agitation, heat and cold water, until you get the look you want. These look pretty much completely felted. The great thing is once it's felted, you don't have to worry about shrinkage or additional felting.

Slim
02-09-2011, 08:51 AM
Felting is pretty easy and I love doing it. Not sure what method was used here (machine or hand) but it's pretty much the same either way... just by hand is more elbow grease. I've felted by hand because we didn't have a working water heater... lol... and really loved it. By machine, you put the item(s) in a pillow case, then into the washing machine with a few things to agitate with... it's basically agitation, heat and cold water, until you get the look you want. These look pretty much completely felted. The great thing is once it's felted, you don't have to worry about shrinkage or additional felting.

I felted them in a top-loading washing machine with hot water. I placed them in an old pillowcase and secured the top with a rubber band, then filled the machine with towels to provide friction. I set the timer for 10 minutes, and rechecked every 10 minutes until they had shrunk to the desired size (this means re-setting the washer each time to continue the wash cycle.) When finished I always allow the washer to go through the spin cycle to squeeze out as much moisture as possible, then shape them by placing them on my feet and walking around a little bit, or stuffing them with plastic bags. To dry, I placed them in front of a window in the sun for a couple of days.

Mokumegane
02-09-2011, 09:05 AM
lol, if I try to make those today, the drying won't be easy >.< We have enough snow coming down that sun drying isn't an option! Yeah, good job! I felted some scarves by hand... not sure I'd do something like this by hand, though... with all the crevices and curves...