PDA

View Full Version : Let's post some " blizzard" videos..

cheley
02-02-2011, 10:27 AM
Hi, In my crazy snowed in state (umm child home on number Two snow day) just had a thought..all you "snow" lovers out there, let's take some videos and post em here!!!!! Yes, I will go outside in my robe and record!!!!! It's only about 2 degrees out there, so hopefully I won't get frostbite!!!! Let's see what happens..:grphug:

Jan in CA
02-02-2011, 01:30 PM
Still photos would be okay, too. I never get to see that kind of weather!

wellslipmystitches
02-02-2011, 05:54 PM
Jan, You think you're missing something? I wish I could send pics. I imagine there will be plenty on TV. Maybe I can tell you with words.

Schools are closed - roads are closed or nicely put, "impassable".

In front of my home my van sits in the drive with snow up the sides, past the wheels, with a frosted top of more than a foot of the white stuff!

The street wasn't plowed till today and even though we aren't allowed to throw snow in the street when we shovel, they come by and throw 3 ft. or so of it at the end of our drives. There is no justice - or mercy for shovelers.

In back, my patio set sits with a souffle like top of more than a foot of snow and the chairs are buried above their seats. A great study in black and white.

My neighbor's roof has a covering just like a lemon meringue pie with swirls from the 50-60mph winds we've had all night.

There's also a big cut out like somebody snitched a piece of the pie, where the roof extension juts out, making it look like a Swiss chalet. My roof, in front, must be the same. I'll push my way out in 3 - 4' of snow to see it - later.

The street wasn't plowed till today. Doesn't matter. Nobody can get out of their drives. Now the hum of snow blowers begins.

My thoughts today:

Everything with glistening crowns,
The chill, unbearable,
The beauty, unimaginable,
So why such a pain in the ice? :<)
Jean in ILL.

Jan in CA
02-02-2011, 08:38 PM
:lol: It sounds beautiful even though it's a lot of work. I actually did go to Ottawa, Canada one February to experience a "real" winter. It was awesome! Nice to visit though and not have to deal with the hassles. :thumbsup:

yarnrainbow
02-03-2011, 12:21 AM
OK...here's the best photo I could get in the 2.5 seconds I was willing to have the door open in my attempt. Sorry for the bad framing but being in a wheelchair makes holding the door open and operating the camera a little difficult. You can tell how much we got by how high up the snow is on the For Sale sign in the yard across the street.

Added insult...the temp is currently 2 degrees F with a wind chill of -23. By morning...well, I just don't even want to think about it. Everything is closed...schools, government offices, churches. And I'm trapped in the house with an 18 y.o. who is BOOOORRRRREEEEDDDD and she's read everything on the internet. :roll:

JudyD
02-03-2011, 09:16 AM
This one's for Jan :)

Pile of snow at the end of our driveway after yesterday's storm. Pile is almost as high as neighbor's roof! More snow coming on Saturday...

Judy in Maine

Woodi
02-03-2011, 10:34 AM
Had a big dump of snow last night again, and all day yesterday. Woke to see this:

Our front lawn:

http://www.soapmaker.ca/SoapPics/LawnWSnowdeer.JPG

Hubby is out there now with the snowblower, I must go and shovel the front steps.
http://www.soapmaker.ca/SoapPics/FrontSteps.JPG

Jan in CA
02-03-2011, 02:05 PM
Thanks Judy, that's beautiful! If you weren't careful you'd literally be snowed in..as in you couldn't get out the door!

Woodi... Your house and the area you live in are beautiful! Are those little houses near the deer for feeding them?

Abbers1026
02-03-2011, 02:41 PM
according to the news we only got 18in...i think they're on crack cuz even in the low spots it was 2 feet deep...however there were soo many drifts that were about 4 feet deep we couldnt even open our living room door to let out the puppy had to use the kitchen side...then we let him have some fun in the snow too

Jan in CA
02-03-2011, 04:13 PM
Beautiful Abbers! Looks like you got to have some fun too since he's on a leash. :lol:

JudyD
02-03-2011, 05:04 PM
More photos...the sun was so bright I could not see the viewer to have an idea of what I was photographing.

First one is a different view of the pile at the end of our driveway.

Second one is looking up the street toward the main road.

Third one is looking down to the end of our street. Foreground is the end of our driveway.

Judy in Maine

Jan in CA
02-03-2011, 06:48 PM
:zombie:Wowzers, Judy! You always get a lot in Maine though right? That's what I picture.

JudyD
02-04-2011, 08:31 AM
:zombie:Wowzers, Judy! You always get a lot in Maine though right? That's what I picture.

We've actually had several mild winters in past years, but this year is on its way to being one of the worst ever with the combination of lots of snow and the extremely cold temperatures. Had to call OnStar twice in 8 days because my car wouldn't start even though it was in the garage. First time with wind chill temp was -28. Second time car had not been started for 24 hrs. This car is not yet 3 years old! After the 2nd jump start I drove to the dealer for a new battery. Battery supposedly tested okay (big joke!) so the new battery wasn't covered by warranty.

Early morning report this morning indicates snow for Saturday, next Tuesday, and next Thursday :rofl: ! The good news is the temperature is only -8 this morning...

Judy

Jan in CA
02-04-2011, 02:31 PM
I know camera batteries don't like being cold..maybe car batteries, too? What about a heating blanket on the engine area..I've heard of stuff like this.

wellslipmystitches
02-06-2011, 03:04 PM
Abbers, What fun! When I had Corgis, a med. sized dog but only 12" high, I'd let them out in the snow. They were well trained to their boundaries so I let them run free, with supervision.

If the snow was a foot or so deep they could handle it. They'd tear around and put their noses down and plow their own way all over the yard. Hysterical to watch. Corgis have a face like a fox and a butt like a bunny and they can tunnel in snow until their feet get cold.

Then, as you've probably seen, they stop and start picking each foot up high as possible, communicating, 'Oh boy, this hurts!!' Easy to know it's time to go in.
Great times.

Here in McHenry County it was pretty bad. The wind was the main culprit just as it was for you. The weather guys don't measure drifts (except for excitement)! I think they melt snow in their measuring devices and calculate amounts from that.

Who cares?!? They're not 'on' anything. Again, who cares? They're not going to shovel our drives. Oh! The new couple of inches of snow was so pretty this a.m.? NOT!
Jean

wellslipmystitches
02-06-2011, 03:48 PM
Judy, Nice pics! From the shadow lengths, you must have taken them in the afternoon. The color of your sky is almost a cobalt blue in one frame. Did you use a filter or is that computer magic?

Your car trouble obviously isn't the battery. Did the mechanics use a computer to check the code problems? All they have to do is plug it in You didn't indicate the brand of car.

Used to have a Nissan - 4 on the floor - that I loved to drive, however, some kind of coil would always freeze in winter.

Be careful about warming the engine in the garage. Some people have used an electric light bulb hanging under the hood - till their garage and car burned up. Additionally, the car blankets that plug into the cigarette lighter or ??? work off your battery.

Here in ILL the school buses, parked outside, have a gizmo that plugs into a regular outlet and in zero and below temps keeps them ready to go in the morning.

My Chrysler van sits in the drive and I've never had a starting problem no matter the weather. Your vehicle should not do what it's doing. Wonder how low a temp it takes to bollix it up? Maybe you should find out if it's a widespread problem like Toyota had the last few years. Their logo should be 'We're Unstoppable'!
Jean

Jackie M.
02-06-2011, 04:03 PM
Feb 4....in my backyard near Ft.Worth Texas

cheley
02-07-2011, 11:15 AM
Feb 4....in my backyard near Ft.Worth Texas HI..I know "I" started this post and "failed" to give you some pics..well I got a terrible flu and the last thing I wanted to do was be outdoors...:zombie: They are all awesome...thanks

Mokumegane
02-07-2011, 03:55 PM
Alright, my daughter had almost an entire week off from school and will probably have another almost entire week off again. Last week, we created Pompeii and Vesuvius and an attacking army's fighting wall (didn't get a picture of the wall but it's like three times the height of Pompeii... just one wall, though). I have pre-eruption and post-eruption pictures... come look!! lol...

Mokumegane
02-09-2011, 08:58 AM
Alright, now that I have the correct thread... let's try this again!

Vesuvius has erupted again only this time, it's way more detrimental...

Jan in CA
02-09-2011, 01:31 PM
:roflhard: That's great, Moku!

Mokumegane
02-09-2011, 01:58 PM
Lol, Vesuvius buried itself, Pompeii and the surrounding countryside ^.^ We have at least 22" of snow here and the weather people said we were only going to get 6"... it's still snowing...

JudyD
02-09-2011, 05:42 PM
Jean:

The pictures were taken just after 12 noon. No magic, no enhancement...that was the color of the sky. Pictures were taken with my trusty little Kodak Easy Share C330.

Car battery was bad and had to go. Even letting the car run for an hour didn't give the battery enough charge to last. I had no desire to get on personal terms with the OnStar receptionist or the tow truck driver who came to give me a jump start. Twice in one week was enough. Will see how the new battery does.

My car is a 2008 Chevrolet Malibu, not yet 3 years old. Keeping all the gadgets going probably drains the battery a bit...at any time, 24/7, OnStar knows my mileage, how many miles I've driven on the present gas tank, how many mph I go on average, how many miles left on the present gas tank, % of life left in the oil, pressure in all four tires, etc. This took some getting used to.

Never had to use electric blankets on any of our cars and don't plan to start now...(visions of burning down the garage and house with it!) Also never had a car that failed to start no matter how cold it was in the winter...first time for everything.

Judy

Judy, Nice pics! From the shadow lengths, you must have taken them in the afternoon. The color of your sky is almost a cobalt blue in one frame. Did you use a filter or is that computer magic?

Your car trouble obviously isn't the battery. Did the mechanics use a computer to check the code problems? All they have to do is plug it in You didn't indicate the brand of car.

Used to have a Nissan - 4 on the floor - that I loved to drive, however, some kind of coil would always freeze in winter.

Be careful about warming the engine in the garage. Some people have used an electric light bulb hanging under the hood - till their garage and car burned up. Additionally, the car blankets that plug into the cigarette lighter or ??? work off your battery.

Here in ILL the school buses, parked outside, have a gizmo that plugs into a regular outlet and in zero and below temps keeps them ready to go in the morning.

My Chrysler van sits in the drive and I've never had a starting problem no matter the weather. Your vehicle should not do what it's doing. Wonder how low a temp it takes to bollix it up? Maybe you should find out if it's a widespread problem like Toyota had the last few years. Their logo should be 'We're Unstoppable'!
Jean

Mokumegane
02-10-2011, 08:57 AM
I figure I should add more to this. Lol, the city, county, whoever is supposed to take care of the roads... they're so fail here. Their main strategy is to wait for the snow to clean the roads for them. This last snow, we got about 24" in about ten hours time. Yeah, there's still lots of snow on the roads. People went out there, driving... and like idiots... they didn't think about the consequences of stopping. Yeah... well, any car that went out there was not JUST driving... they were also plowing the road. So... there's lots of cars out there, abandoned, because they stopped at a red light and they couldn't get going again, with the big wall of snow in front of them they've been pushing all this time... The rednecks are really getting rich this year! Tow trucks, personal plows (they get money for plowing parking lots but it's illegal for them to plow the roads... they get fined for that lol).

wellslipmystitches
02-11-2011, 06:27 PM
For all: You've sent many terrific pics of your snowed-in properties. I've griped a bit about mine.

Today, I received some pics that show some astonishing shots of snowfall purported to be in Lead, S.D. If you'd like to check 'em out— http://off-gridliving.blogspot.com/2011/02/too-much-snow-jan-5-2011.html

However, there is, apparently, some discussion about the veracity of the pics. Some say that some are from Quebec and Ontario Canada and not even from 2011.

Who cares?!! They're still mind boggling sights of some real effects of mother nature somewhere! I wonder how long it took to cut those paths through such a snow? I wouldn't want to be there when it melts.

We're going to get a thaw in the next few days. Hope it doesn't flood too much. My backstroke is pretty rusty this time of year.
Jean

Jan in CA
02-11-2011, 06:35 PM
Wow, that's something no matter where it is!

I fixed your link. HTML doesn't work in here so just click the icon that looks like this - http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2483/3651113285_f724a676e9_t.jpg - and then paste or type your link. :thumbsup:

wellslipmystitches
02-11-2011, 06:36 PM
P.S. Looking at my post, I see that my links are not going thru correctly. I send many links and have no problem. What's wrong?

One thing - when I hit the 'insert link' the box comes up in front of what I want to copy. I tried copying in another area from a link that was already sent. That didn't work either. Something's wrong and I don't know what.
Jean

Jan in CA
02-11-2011, 09:14 PM
If you look at my post I fixed the link. If you just copy the link only and put that in the insert link box it should be fine. If you want the link attached to some text you highlight the text then click the insert link and paste.

I suspect maybe you didn't have a close bracket somewhere..?

Woodi
02-12-2011, 09:42 AM
Jan: to answer your question of "are those little deer houses...?"

No. One is a bench, facing the pond, one is an arbor. Here are pics in summertime, so you can see what they look like when not snow-covered.

Bench from the front. I bought it from a neighbour who makes all things outdoorsy and rustic. I eventually removed the little bird house cuz of the cats.

http://www.soapmaker.ca/SoapPics/DawnBenchK.JPG

the arbor in summer, which DH made from ice-storm damaged cedar branches. I grow sweet peas alongside it.

http://www.soapmaker.ca/SoapPics/ArbourSum.JPG

The deer hang out near these because that's where I put food for them.

As you can see, we live in a pretty rustic setting (for 15 years now - DH's choice of a retirement heaven/haven. I like cities, but have gotten used to it here now.