PDA

View Full Version : Weaving your ends. Lesson Learned.

trvvn5
02-02-2011, 11:09 PM
When I first started knitting I used to think. Why do I need to weave in the ends. Why can't I just knot the end and have that be good enough. I would like to present these two pictures as examples of why. I loved this hat, and I could probably repair it, but I think its just going to serve as a lesson learned.

It is necessary to weave the ends of your knitting so that this doens't happen. I knotted the end of this project because I didn't know any better and this is what happens when you do that.

Pic 1 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/46793010@N07/5412405918/)

Pic 2 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/46793010@N07/5412405676/in/photostream/)

The knot will eventually come loose. This hat is a couple years old, but it will eventually happen.

Jan in CA
02-02-2011, 11:26 PM
Oh no! That's too bad. Can you pick up the stitches and finish off again?

I don't knot because I think to finish a hand knit object properly you need to weave in ends. Apparently this is another reason.

suzeeq
02-03-2011, 12:12 AM
Well, I always knot my joins, but I leave a bit of a tail on each end to weave into a couple sts on either side. I don't cut them off close so they don't come undone.

KatzKnitter
02-03-2011, 01:07 AM
I've also seen a join done with a temporary knot, which you remove when you're ready to weave. I like that because it keeps the stitch tight. I can't get the hang of that locking twist of the 2 yarns.

salmonmac
02-03-2011, 07:38 AM
It is too bad since it looks like a great hat. Like Suzeeq I weave in the ends and don't cut them too close to the knitting. I once heard someone say that the back of her knitting wouldn't win any prizes at the state fair, but she never had ends poking through either.

Ronda
02-03-2011, 08:01 AM
I hate changing colors or having to change to a new ball/skein. I can't seem to work the new ball of yarn in without a hole. I must be doing something wrong, but I'm not sure how to fix it. I've done what suzeeq does - use a knot but leave a tail to weave in. I would love to sit down with someone who is more experienced and knowledgeable than me and *watch* how they do. Maybe then I'd know what I'm doing. :)

trvvn5
02-03-2011, 08:10 AM
Well, I always knot my joins, but I leave a bit of a tail on each end to weave into a couple sts on either side. I don't cut them off close so they don't come undone.

I do the same thing that you do now that I've learned a bit more. At least thats what I do if its not a join that I can felt. I loves me a felted join.

salmonmac
02-03-2011, 09:45 AM
I hate changing colors or having to change to a new ball/skein. I can't seem to work the new ball of yarn in without a hole. I must be doing something wrong, but I'm not sure how to fix it. I've done what suzeeq does - use a knot but leave a tail to weave in. I would love to sit down with someone who is more experienced and knowledgeable than me and *watch* how they do. Maybe then I'd know what I'm doing. :)

To add in a new ball of the same color, I just knit one or two sts with both the end of the old and the beginning of the new. It make's a double thickness of yarn but it doesn't show and leaves no hole. An alternative is to only add in a new ball at the end of a row.

When changing colors you can repair the hole when you're finished by just crossing or twisting the yarn ends (the way you would if you were doing two color fair isle knitting) before you weave them into the back of the work. Check on the front of the work to make sure that what you're doing is closing the hole before you weave in the ends.

suzeeq
02-03-2011, 11:47 AM
I can't seem to work the new ball of yarn in without a hole.

I make sure the knot is in the purl bump of a knit stitch on the WS. I tie it loosely first, then work a few more rows and go back to rearrange it and tighten it up. By having more rows above the knot, you can adjust the tension on it so it's not holey.

Mike
02-04-2011, 09:25 PM

That's what I do. I also don't weave them in close because whenever I do they're sure to pop out the wrong side (the right side).

Krystal
02-05-2011, 03:44 AM
I did the same thing with the first sweater I knitted when I was still a new knitter. It was my first time using more than one skein of yarn.

The sweater lasted 3 washings before a couple of the knots came undone. :( I was too new a knitter to fix it at the time, but at least it was just super cheap acrylic yarn I didn't care about tossing.

KatzKnitter
02-05-2011, 03:55 AM
Doing the first few stitches with the new same-color skein is the equivalent of weaving in afterwards. Who has a favorite video about introducing a 2nd color?

Also I can't get the hang of carrying the new color up neatly so it can be hidden by a seam. Mine is still messy, and although the seam hides it, I know the mess is there.

KatzKnitter
02-05-2011, 04:00 AM
I did the same thing with the first sweater I knitted when I was still a new knitter. It was my first time using more than one skein of yarn.

The sweater lasted 3 washings before a couple of the knots came undone. :( I was too new a knitter to fix it at the time, but at least it was just super cheap acrylic yarn I didn't care about tossing.

Acrylic is like plastic. It doesn't knot tightly, and that goes for nylon, polyester and rayon too. The natural fibers knot tightly and stay put. A square knot is best.

trvvn5
02-05-2011, 11:04 AM
Doing the first few stitches with the new same-color skein is the equivalent of weaving in afterwards. Who has a favorite video about introducing a 2nd color?

Also I can't get the hang of carrying the new color up neatly so it can be hidden by a seam. Mine is still messy, and although the seam hides it, I know the mess is there.

If I'm understanding what you are talking about, I think you mean a jog. Here is an article from knitty about how to avoid them.

Article. (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEff10/FEATff10TT.php)

suzeeq
02-05-2011, 11:16 AM
Acrylic is like plastic. It doesn't knot tightly, and that goes for nylon, polyester and rayon too. The natural fibers knot tightly and stay put. A square knot is best.

I don't have a problem with acrylic yarns staying knotted, but have more trouble with the 'natural' cottons.

CoolWool
02-05-2011, 11:40 AM
Well shoot. I've got knots all over the sweater I'm doing right now. Wish I would have seen this thread prior. It's 100% cotton. I usually do a double knot - - like I'll tie the first knot, then weave the ends through a few times, and then knot again in a different spot. I tried on the sweater to make sure of the fit when I was done with the bodice and when I put it back on the needles, there were huge holes under one of the arms. So I totally jury rigged it. It's a really thick cotton, so I just weaved some extra through there, tied it all up like a ham, and said GOOD ENOUGH.

I'll be handwashing this puppy. But if it lasts two years like your hat, I'll be pretty happy. (Helps that it's a quick knit!)

Jan in CA
02-05-2011, 01:25 PM
Guess I'm in the minority. The only thing I ever knotted was a dishcloth.

Jaxhil
02-05-2011, 02:24 PM
I knot certain yarns (like the much-maligned Homespun, lol!) and then weave in really long ends back and forth and haven't had any come loose (knock on wood!). My DMom made an afghan for my DS, out of said LB Homespun, and it literally fell apart and bless her heart she re-did the whole thing (such patience she has! I would've thrown it out, lol). She had woven the ends the traditional way, but in the end she used knots *and* weaving in to be doubly sure and it has held up for years now.

I generally don't knot except to temporarily hold ends for future weaving in, but I also knit a few stitches together first and weave in in two directions for a really long way.

The hole in the hat is heart-breaking!! It's such a nice hat, too-love the cables! Oh well~at least it is probably a lesson that won't be forgotten :wink:

KatzKnitter
02-05-2011, 04:06 PM
If I'm understanding what you are talking about, I think you mean a jog. Here is an article from knitty about how to avoid them.

Article. (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEff10/FEATff10TT.php)

No, I didn't mean the jog on round needles. I meant that some videos show how to "lock in" the old color when changing colors, even in flat, and I can't get it. It makes the last stitch in the old color firmer and prevents a hole.

I've seen a video on attaching to each row a yarn carried up the side to later hide it in the seam, but I can't get it. For instance in wide bands of several colors.

bambi
02-05-2011, 11:32 PM
Oh, sorry about your hat! I love russian joins.

Mokumegane
02-07-2011, 03:29 PM
Lol, I always weave and knot like suzeeq because I always have the feeling things will come undone... It's possible my knits would live through more than cockroaches do but eh, who knows? I'm like this with everything I make... I just don't trust it to just do a quick finish. I always make sure it looks good or at least decent but yeah... A friend from high school... when she got married to another friend from high school, he paid me to bead her this necklace. Yeah, that sucker is STILL going strong! lol