PDA

View Full Version : First knitted project done!

okckwilter
02-06-2011, 11:10 AM
It's just a lowly dishcloth but I learned tons and really enjoyed it. As you can see it has one or two "warts", i.e. pattern mistakes that I didn't bother to rip out and correct for the simple reason that I wasn't sure I could rip out just the offending rows and get going correctly again! Several videos later, I think I know how to do that!

Many thanks for all the tips posted here, this forum has been a big help!

Now to see if I can manage to post the pic...

cacunn
02-06-2011, 11:12 AM
Nothing lowly about it is is a great piece. Keep going and growing.

crazykntter83
02-06-2011, 11:36 AM
Looks awesome Judy!!! You did a fantastic job on it!!! Way to go!!! :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay:

okckwilter
02-06-2011, 11:43 AM
Nothing lowly about it is is a great piece. Keep going and growing.

Thanks, Chris!

Looks awesome Judy!!! You did a fantastic job on it!!! Way to go!!! :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay:

Thanks, Jen! I'm ridiculously proud of that silly dishcloth. To quote myself, "It's JUST A DISHCLOTH for pete's sake!"
:roflhard:

I've started another JUST A DISHCLOTH but am mentally browsing for what I want to do next. Scarf? Afghan? An Afghan is sure tempting, and I've found some lovely free patterns, but that seems like an awful lot to tackle this early in the game?

crazykntter83
02-06-2011, 12:04 PM
Hey, that's not "just a dishcloth"!! That's your first finished object, and it feels GOOD knowing that you CAN do it!!! We've all been there, and understand. :)
I think you should start on whatever you want. It's all about what you're comfortable doing. Look at the patterns, and see if you know the stitches. If there's some that you don't know, look them up on here and figure out how to do them. :mrgreen:

Wanda Witch
02-06-2011, 12:57 PM
Gee, nothing lowly about that work. Looks great. :thumbsup:

Jan in CA
02-06-2011, 01:01 PM
Not only is it a pretty dishcloth, it's useful! I use mine all the time. :)

Jackie M.
02-06-2011, 01:02 PM
I love it! and your first project wasn't just straight garter stitch. Good for you! Those dish cloths make great cleaning cloths too.

crazykntter83
02-06-2011, 01:36 PM
I love it! and your first project wasn't just straight garter stitch. Good for you! Those dish cloths make great cleaning cloths too.
I don't know if the knitted ones make great cleaning cloths(I've only made one so far as a b-day gift for my Mom). But I DO know that the crochet ones sure to make great cleaning cloths. I use mine all the time!!! :mrgreen:

cacunn
02-06-2011, 05:39 PM
Judy
Frame it and remember this dish cloth as the start of a great hobby.
As remember that many use dish cloths as a testing ground for new techniques. patterns, and those days where you want to knit and just want to have fun.

kmaclean
02-06-2011, 11:19 PM
Great job! You should certainly be proud of all the hard work that went in to it ... keep up the good work! :knitting:

okckwilter
02-06-2011, 11:26 PM
Judy
Frame it and remember this dish cloth as the start of a great hobby.
As remember that many use dish cloths as a testing ground for new techniques. patterns, and those days where you want to knit and just want to have fun.

Although this dishcloth won't be framed (it's already in use!), you are so very right, Chris. I picked up a book of nine or ten different dishcloth patterns the other day, and several of them are going to be great for learning new stitches and patterns. Best of all, for my practical nature, is that no matter how they come out, they'll be useful!

Debbie
02-07-2011, 09:59 AM
Great Job !

WandaT
02-07-2011, 10:55 AM
Great job!! I LOVE my knitted dishcloths! And they are the perfect projects for learning new techniques!!

cacunn
02-07-2011, 11:01 AM
Best of all, for my practical nature, is that no matter how they come out, they'll be useful!

Please remember in knitting there are NO mistakes. We just have unplanned design elements. :roflhard: :roflhard:

Mokumegane
02-07-2011, 03:01 PM
You did a very nice job for a first project. Also, don't call it "just a dishcloth" or "just a facecloth" because those are awesome ways to explore different patterns, cabling, etc. I made a TON of "just a dishcloth"s last Christmas for presents. I did several patterns, used different colors and even more than one color on one. I want to do another one in the near future because I found this cool pattern that makes what looks like dragon scales!!! RAWR!!! However, first, I'm doing mittens and have to do a felted bag and of course, the kitty pi! http://media.wendyknits.net/knit/kittybed.htm Our dog needs it sorely and our cat will probably steal it. I'm going to do what someone else did and do short rows on one side to create something like a little cave in there... the little guy needs all the help he can get!

Antares
02-07-2011, 08:28 PM
Your dish cloth looks great--I can't see any warts, and besides, the dishes don't care at all!

I say jump into whatever project you really really want to do next. I just finished my first cardi, and I can say that learning "on the fly" was both very challenging and rewarding. You can do it!!!

Jaxhil
02-08-2011, 10:10 AM
Well done! Your washcloth came out really pretty!

kittykins
02-08-2011, 10:28 AM
http://www.groupepp.com/dishbout/kpatterns/knitting.html
Hi Judy! I think you did a wonderful job on your dishcloth!:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: I was wondering if you're familiar with Dishcloth Boutique? (See link.) They have a ton of patterns that you might like to try while expanding your skills. I personally love the Feather and Fan Cloth. It would give you a lot of practice with YO's and k2tog. Not only that, the finished product looks like it was a WHOLE lot more complicated than it really was!:woot: So many dishcloth patterns give you a chance to practice different stitches and techniques before jumping into a really big project. Remember you can always come to KH if you run into a problem! Good Luck! Jeanie

blueeyes28
02-09-2011, 08:13 AM
I started out with dishcloths too they are fun to learn new techniques.If you found the right pattern and used different yarn other than the dishcloth variety they make good afghan squares, then you can practice seaming.:wink:

okckwilter
02-09-2011, 08:18 AM
http://www.groupepp.com/dishbout/kpatterns/knitting.html
Hi Judy! I think you did a wonderful job on your dishcloth!:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: I was wondering if you're familiar with Dishcloth Boutique? (See link.) They have a ton of patterns that you might like to try while expanding your skills.

Wow! That is a LOT of dishcloth patterns! Thanks, Jeanie!

cacunn
02-09-2011, 08:40 PM
Wow! That is a LOT of dishcloth patterns! Thanks, Jeanie!

Next time you have a couple of days go out and Bing "knit dish cloths"

Just remember that you have to knit all of the patterns by next Tuesday. :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

Mokumegane
02-10-2011, 02:16 AM
There's a lot of dishcloth patterns here too... http://dishandwashclothmania.com/knit-cloths/

okckwilter
02-10-2011, 08:00 AM
Next time you have a couple of days go out and Bing "knit dish cloths"

Just remember that you have to knit all of the patterns by next Tuesday. :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

Considering how long simple dishcloths are taking me, I don't think I'll have to worry about taking time to hunt for more patterns, Chris! Almost (ALMOST) makes me wish for more snow days so I can do nothing but sit and knit!

Mokumegane
02-10-2011, 08:53 AM
Lol, we got the more snow days here... you want them?

okckwilter
02-10-2011, 04:03 PM
Lol, we got the more snow days here... you want them?

Gee, thanks for the generous offer but, not just no, but NO!!!

:roflhard:

dturner
02-10-2011, 07:12 PM
Good job! A dish cloth makes a great first project!

Breezed
02-20-2011, 10:33 AM
Good job!

ArtLady1981
02-24-2011, 09:45 PM
This is very very nice! I love to knit dishcloths, even after all these years! They are very satisfying work! And so quick!