PDA

View Full Version : seam raglan sleeve with mattress stitch??

Babette
02-06-2011, 06:49 PM
I have knitted a Raglan sleeve and now ready to fold and seam from wrist up (underarm). Using the mattress st is throwing me off alignment since the "graduated arm width" widens as I move up from
wrist. The "Ladders" as I call them start to fan out (out of alignment). How do I sew this sleeve up? thx, Babbette

Ingrid
02-06-2011, 07:07 PM
Yes, use Mattress Stitch. As you work your way up the sleeve, you'll move over with the increases. It will not be invisible the way it is on straight stockinette, but it will look nice.

Babette
02-07-2011, 01:21 PM
Yes, use Mattress Stitch. As you work your way up the sleeve, you'll move over with the increases. It will not be invisible the way it is on straight stockinette, but it will look nice.

:muah: ok, now on to shoulder seam-- where did the ladders goooo??

How do I sew up shoulder seams?

suzeeq
02-07-2011, 02:54 PM
Same way, the angles are different is all.

Babette
02-07-2011, 03:47 PM
Same way, the angles are different is all.

:cool: hi sue,

thx, but the ladders are going opposite way on sleeve.
should I pick up the v's on sleeve side. I can't find the right edged row to work from.

thx again,
Babette

Babette
02-07-2011, 07:37 PM
I am trying to seam a raglan sleeve to right front of knitted sweater.

The sleeve V's of the sts are going horizontal instead of vertical like
front. of sweater. I can't insert needle if the "bar or ladder" is going vertical
[B]Where on the sleeve edge do I insert needle?
:woohoo: :woohoo:

Ingrid
02-08-2011, 12:23 AM
You go through the two strands of the loop.

Maybe this will help:

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEspring06/FEATspr06TT.html

Babette
02-08-2011, 11:13 AM
You go through the two strands of the loop.

Maybe this will help:

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEspring06/FEATspr06TT.html

Thank you again Ingrid,
However, since this selvedge seam is on the downward slant (Doberman Sleeve), should I go sideways through the two strands of the loop or lenthwise as in mattress st??
babette

Babette
02-08-2011, 06:02 PM
I have a sweater with a Raglan sleeve that is a "Doberman" shape, which slants downward in front and back of shoulders.
How and which stitch is doable?
Babette

:grphug:woot: :

Babette
02-08-2011, 06:21 PM
I made a mistake in wording: It is a "Dolman or Kimono sleeve.
Not Doberman. Dah!
babette;)

Ingrid
02-08-2011, 07:09 PM
:teehee:

I'd say go for the stitches rather than the bars.

Babette
02-10-2011, 01:20 PM
Thank you again Ingrid,
However, since this selvedge seam is on the downward slant (Doberman Sleeve), should I go sideways through the two strands of the loop or lenthwise as in mattress st??
babette

Hello, Ingrid my mentor,

May I ask if a whip stitch is ok for this seaming?
babette:woohoo:

Ingrid
02-10-2011, 03:50 PM
I personally have never had good luck with whip stitch. It always, for me anyway, looks lumpy and uneven.
Even if I fudge a bit with mattress stitch, though, it always looks good.
I'm not much of a sewing person, so if you feel comfortable with whip stitch, go for it. It's your sweater.

I'd suggest trying the mattress. It comes out easily if you need to fix something or you just don't like the way it looks.

Babette
02-11-2011, 01:51 PM
I personally have never had good luck with whip stitch. It always, for me anyway, looks lumpy and uneven.
Even if I fudge a bit with mattress stitch, though, it always looks good.
I'm not much of a sewing person, so if you feel comfortable with whip stitch, go for it. It's your sweater.

I'd suggest trying the mattress. It comes out easily if you need to fix something or you just don't like the way it looks.

Ingrid,
I am now picking up sts on neckline-shoulder-fronts.
I am using a crochet hook for this.
my question is after I picked up the sts, do I just slip them on my right needle, or do I have to put slipped sts on my left needle and knit them too? Babette

Ingrid
02-11-2011, 05:55 PM
When you do the mattress stitch, you'd 'pick up' the stitches with a tapestry needle--a large-eyed, blunt end sewing needle. To seam the two edges, there's no knitting involved.

http://www.knittinghelp.com/apps/flash/video_player/play/149