PDA

View Full Version : Finally!

Mokumegane
02-07-2011, 02:29 PM
Alright, I finally got the pictures from the mittens I totally made up on my own. I used Jaeger Extra Fine Merino (Double Knitting) which knits up 10cm if you do 22sts and 30-32 rows with size 5 or 6 needles. I worked the pattern out as I went, using (I believe) size two dpns (2 3/4mm). I knew I wanted a fairly average mitten of whatever size I felt like making, using my gauge and not anyone else's. I really don't have the cash to go buy new yarn when my gauge is horribly off... not to mention, I'm tired of knitting ten gauge swatches, searching for the correct needles. I wrote down the pattern as I went, too... saved on my pc- yay. For the patterning on the top, I did a honeycomb cable pattern.. easily found on the internet. Two repeats either way of the honeycomb and worked from the starting stitch of the round. I'll make others with different yarns and patterns... just see! ^.^

Jan in CA
02-07-2011, 02:39 PM
Those are beautiful! Great job! :yay:

Mokumegane
02-07-2011, 02:48 PM
Ty! I got this yarn at JoAnn Fabrics that I'm going to do more mittens with. I figure one ball would knit up a pair and possibly have extra left. This pair was knitted up with one ball of the yarn I used and I know it's smaller. The new yarn is Sensations Angel Hair, was on sale for almost half price, is very soft and has enough wool in them to make them nice and warm. They had a knitted swatch and it knits up all striped but has mohair strands coming out that are in one color... like a veil of one of the colors over a variegated stripe. http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/productdetail.jsp?CATID=cat3053&PRODID=prd23866 I chose the black (front one in the picture) a blue one (towards the back of the picture) and a purple one (similar in vividness to the blue, just purple). Yeah, those babies will be mittens... maybe I'll do something similar to the Knitty Broadstreet ones.

WandaT
02-08-2011, 09:29 AM
Congrats!! Great job on stash busting and creating your own pattern!! They look great!

kmaclean
02-08-2011, 10:12 AM
Great job ... looks like they turned out awesome! :yay:

Mokumegane
02-08-2011, 09:49 PM
Yes, my daughter loves them... but they're wide on her finger area. However, if I were to put it narrower to fit her better, it would look a little funky and this way, she can move her fingers around better in the mitten. They'd still be warm, etc.

Jackie M.
02-08-2011, 10:49 PM
Great job! I haven't had the courage to try mittens or gloves yet. Have you ever used a pattern for mittens?

Mokumegane
02-09-2011, 03:50 AM
I've never used someone's patter for mittens but I've done gloves before. I just figured they were easier gloves, with the four fingers melded together, you know. The hardest part was the thumb gusset, which wasn't really that hard... I just used a gusset I've used a lot in gloves before.

MerigoldinWA
02-13-2011, 02:08 PM
You did it! Designed your own mitten pattern. Congratulations. Good job.

Mokumegane
02-14-2011, 05:53 PM
Ty ^.^ the little things seem to be easy to figure out, huh?

noseysheep
02-15-2011, 12:00 PM
Gorgeous, and I bet they're toasty warm!

ArtLady1981
02-15-2011, 04:30 PM
Nice work! They look soft, too!