PDA

View Full Version : Thank you's

KatzKnitter
02-07-2011, 04:32 PM
I noticed "Thank you's" going both ways are counted under our avatars. Is there some purpose in that? Do I just put the "thank you" in a reply to get it counted?

kmaclean
02-07-2011, 04:46 PM
I'm not sure what the purpose is (although I'm sure someone will come along and be able to tell you), but there is a little button on the bottom right corner of each post that says "thanks" .... you can click that button to show your thanks to someone else for posting something useful or sharing information (or whatever your reason for wanting to thank them is!). :thumbsup:

You'll notice that it doesn't show up on your own posts (I mean, why would you thank yourself, right?), lol.

KatzKnitter
02-07-2011, 04:53 PM
Print on those buttons is so tiny! Thanks. Makes thanking people mechanized, doesn't it? I'm not of the Facebook generation.

kittykins
02-07-2011, 05:47 PM
Okay, I guess I'm finally going to ask my stupid question that I've been putting off now that this thread about thank you's has come up. My computer skills are still so limited. Things that should be obvious often simply aren't! Dumb question.......Why is it that when I click on that little "thanks" square down in the corner, my user name comes up under the post, BUT over on the left side where it says: The Following user(s) say thank you for this useful post; UNDERNEATH that it says: (in light blue print), "Remove your thanks". Well I don't want to remove my thanks, but I don't want that "Remove your thanks" to stay there either!:wall: Is this making any sense to anyone? Is there something else I should be doing/clicking on? Now I'm trying not to feel like a total idiot for asking. Jeanie:aww:

KatzKnitter
02-07-2011, 05:58 PM
Kittykins--
I repair computers professionally, but this this is not about your being unsavvy on computers. It's about the silliness of trying to make every site into a social networking venue. There's nothing wrong with you. :thumbsup: You and I just see the silliness of it. I expect "like" and "dislike" buttons to appear in the software soon, and ratings for each thread and each post: "Was this reply useful? Rate 1-10."

You can't remove the "Remove your thanks" button, sorry. You can threaten someone with it. :D

Jan in CA
02-07-2011, 06:05 PM
It's meant as just a way to say thanks if you don't really have something else that needs to be said. Like if someone shares a pattern or something.

It doesn't get you anything and there's no race to see who gets the most. It's just a little nicety. If you don't want to use it that's fine.

suzeeq
02-07-2011, 06:06 PM
I think the 'remove your thanks' message only appears to you, and it's there in case you accidentally clicked it when you didn't mean to. No one else sees it.

kittykins
02-07-2011, 06:19 PM
Oh but I do want to use it! I was just wondering that if I click on the "thanks" box and that "remove your thanks" thingie pops up do I just leave it and it goes away on it's own? I understand what the thanks is for.

kittykins
02-07-2011, 06:24 PM
Thanks suzeeq! That is exactly what I needed to know!:muah:

kittykins
02-07-2011, 06:47 PM
Katzknitter, thanks for the kind words! BTW, your avatar is adorable!

Jan in CA
02-07-2011, 08:19 PM
I don't think it's silly, nor do a lot of other people. You don't have to use it if you don't want to. We won't hold it against you. :lol:

Mokumegane
02-08-2011, 09:45 PM
Print on those buttons is so tiny! Thanks. Makes thanking people mechanized, doesn't it? I'm not of the Facebook generation.

I see it as... you can use the little button to thank someone or put it into words in a message, either on the forum or in an IM through the forum. I would think either way would be good.

KatzKnitter
02-08-2011, 09:58 PM
I sent a "Thank You" card to my great-aunt for a gift, but now I want to remove my thanks. :wink: