PDA

View Full Version : How many projects at one time?

noseysheep
02-07-2011, 05:32 PM
How many projects do you folks generally have on the go at any one time?

Currently have 2 on the go, because the blanket is a bit of a slog (slow newbie :aww: ), so its nice to pick up the other pair of needles and do a bit on the mittens, or do afewmore love-hearts....but just purchased a few more pairs of needles in different sizes...and itching to get started on a few more smaller projects (quicker results, better motivation haha!)...and I feel those new and empty needles are mocking me from my wool bag.
Also, just picked up some circular needles,and I'm dying to try them out...to see what I can do with them.

But I fear that if I don't get a hold of myself I'll easily have a dozen half-finished projects on the go...and when I sit down to do some knitting I won't know which ones to work on, which may just demoralise me. Hmmm,am I getting too addicted, too quickly :knitting:

KatzKnitter
02-07-2011, 06:06 PM
I've been doing one, but it's not very portable because the pattern is so complex. It's not something I can do mindlessly while waiting in my doctor's office. So I'll probably do a simpler one at the same time. Don't go overboard or quit your day job; stick to 2.

Jan in CA
02-07-2011, 06:06 PM
Umm... I have 3 I think that are actively in progress, but I've got a lot more on the needles. They'll either be finished at some point or I'll frog and re-purpose the yarn and needles.

crazykntter83
02-07-2011, 07:00 PM
I have 4 going on right now....well, technically five, but one has been on otn for years now, so I don't really count that lol. I like to have a variety of things to work on, depending on my mood. I like to have something simple, when I just need a mindless thing to do with my hands. And I like to have a more complicated pattern when I'm in the mood for a challenge. It doesn't help that I'm add either lol.

TrikkeAddict
02-07-2011, 07:00 PM
I just finished two projects that I had on the needles for over two years. Right now I have 4 knitting projects and 2 crochet projects going. I actually started one of those crochet projects today after telling myself that I absolutely cannot start another thing until I finished at least one of the others.

I think I've been doing good though because I have loads of patterns waiting to be started but I don't have the yarn for them. I've been holding off ordering more yarn and so far, so good!! I know that if I get the yarn I'll start the project and have even more WIPs.

salmonmac
02-07-2011, 07:03 PM
I've always been a serial knitter, one project at a time. Lately it seems I've grown to 2 (alright maybe 3) projects at a time, just for a change of pace. Give in to at least one of those urges before it distracts you from everything else. Knitting is terrific fun, isn't it?

Gertie
02-07-2011, 10:12 PM
I have two going now with several more waiting their turn. I always have a take-a-long project. Now it's fish for the tessellating fish afghan (http://sites.google.com/site/jinjifore/page4). I'm using my version of April Broken's pattern (http://knittingarrows.blogspot.com/). Look at her April 7, 2006 blog entry.

My other is a crochet afghan.

Enjoy!

KatzKnitter
02-07-2011, 10:26 PM
That's a fabulous afghan! Looks like an Escher drawing. So each fish is a separate piece, and then you assemble them? very portable little fish.

Please show it to us when it's done!:yay:

Gertie
02-08-2011, 12:29 AM
Please show it to us when it's done!:yay:

OK but don't wait up for it. :teehee: I have around 90 more to make. I was going to crochet them together, but I'm talking myself into stitching them. These have been around for several years. Some are beautiful works of art.

KatzKnitter
02-08-2011, 12:32 AM
I know this is getting OT, but can we get a closeup photo of your best fish?

Gertie
02-08-2011, 03:25 AM
I know this is getting OT, but can we get a closeup photo of your best fish?

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5219/5427630344_45ac20d5c2_m.jpg

I'm not sure if I'll use all these colors. I have a few more light colors I can add. I laid out some last night & am getting a better feel of what I want. I know I want the dark fish swimming one direction & the lighter ones going the other way. I want the dark colors to be in groups. The dark green & burgundy colors don't show up well in this pic.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5019/5427029649_da95ffac36_m.jpg

A few of us in a Yahoo group are having a fish-a-long. You're welcome to check us out. It's called BitsandBobs2-SpecialProjects (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BitsandBobs2-SpecialProjects/).

KatzKnitter
02-08-2011, 03:35 AM
They adorable. You need to alternate light and dark colors, they way a quilter would. If 2 dark colors adjoin, some get lost. With 90 more fish to go, you have plenty time to do a layout.

salmonmac
02-08-2011, 08:08 AM
It is a stunningly beautiful afghan! You're right about keeping the contrasting colors together. It makes a very pleasing combination.

noseysheep
02-08-2011, 01:56 PM
Ooooh, I'm loving the fish! :yay: Hubby is big into fish, so have printed that pattern off, sure I can find a use for a few fish on future projects :cheering:

KatzKnitter
02-08-2011, 03:36 PM
A few of us in a Yahoo group are having a fish-a-long. You're welcome to check us out. It's called BitsandBobs2-SpecialProjects (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BitsandBobs2-SpecialProjects/).

Are you all making fish for the same quilt, with someone assembling them, or is everyone making his/her own quilt?

Hey, nosey, we can even make mobiles with the fish. I've printed the pattern too.

NausetKnits
02-08-2011, 06:36 PM
I have 2 projects underway right now, but one is an afghan that I don't work on much so I don't really count that one. Typically I have 2 underway...one more challenging one that I work on at home and another easier/smaller project that I can knit on the go.

ps- love the fish afghan!

Gertie
02-08-2011, 09:19 PM
I started a new thread in General Knitting.

Tessellating/Festive Fish

Mokumegane
02-08-2011, 10:26 PM
Lol, are you saying only knitted stuff or any crafts? I always have several in some process of being created..

noseysheep
02-09-2011, 11:28 AM
Lol, are you saying only knitted stuff or any crafts? I always have several in some process of being created..

:) I guess I was only referring to knitting...but you sound like me, I tend to have lots of things on the go at once, and I suppose I'm applying that to my new found love of knitting too!

Been working hard, updating my Ravelry profile...

If I spend too long doing one thing (anything, in general) I tend to get bored...but I think I need to rein the knitting in to 2 or 3 projects on the go at once, no matter how loudly those empty needles are calling me :teehee:

Mokumegane
02-09-2011, 12:18 PM
Sometimes, I get really focused on a goal and sometimes I flit around... just depends on my mood, I suppose. At least I have stuff to put it all in or people would be swimming through it at times lol
Ooh, I got some new, colored jump-rings from theringlord... what ever will I do...? Oh and I figured out how I could make little packets of stuff for people to create an item with maille. I didn't try figuring it out... it just happened as I was making a ton of bracelets.

Gertie
02-09-2011, 08:13 PM
One thing that keeps my WIP number low is I want that wonderful feeling of accomplishment when I get something done. Even if it's just a dishrag.

Stay warm & snugly.