PDA

View Full Version : Top down knitting

conniewi
02-07-2011, 08:28 PM
I have a pattern that is knit from bottom to top, with a yoke, so all the pieces are joined to create the yoke in the round. Is there an 'easy' way to convert this to top down knitting? I am tall and have long arms, so I think top down knitting would solve the dilemna of getting the lengths right. Any comments/ideas/suggestions? The pattern, by the way, is the Rainbow Yoke from Knitscene, Spring 2009.

salmonmac
02-07-2011, 08:43 PM
Often with a yoke sweater, the sleeves are knit to the underarm after the body of the sweater is knit. Then the sleeves are attached to the sweater as you knit the yoke. So you could use the pattern as written (bottom to top) and make your adjustment for the arms as you knit the sleeves and then proceed with joining sleeves and body at the yoke. Would this work for your pattern?

suzeeq
02-07-2011, 10:22 PM
You could knit the body, then when it's time to do the yoke, do a provisional cast on for however many sleeve sts you should have. After you have the top finished, pick up the provisional sts and knit the sleeves down.