PDA

View Full Version : FO: Fingerless Mitts

noseysheep
02-09-2011, 11:51 AM
After messing around on a 'practice peice', initially knOtting, then progressing to something that vaguely resembled knItting...I learnt to bind off my 'practise' bit, and looked for an easy first project....that would also be practical and useful.

I run a market stall at weekends, and through this harsh winter I was spending a fortune on cheap gloves off a fellow market trader, which would promptly fall apart after a few weeks.

So I found Roxanne Richardson's Easy Fingerless Mitts (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/easy-fingerless-mitts-3) and set to work.

I tend to only knit for an hour or so a day, but still these came together really quickly, which is great motivation for a newbie knitter...and whilst not particularly complicated, the sense of achievement, when I finished stitching the last seam and put them on, was a total buzz!

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/168323_10150145362270712_622940711_8034091_3402929 _n.jpg

Been wearing them at the weekend, shifting heavy boxes all day long; during the week, walking dogs and other outdoor chores etc...and already they've lasted longer than the cheapo gloves I was buying previously, and show absolutely no signs of wear & tear!

Jan in CA
02-09-2011, 01:19 PM
Those look great! It's nice to make something useful! Be careful now though...your shop mates may want a pair, too!:lol:

Mokumegane
02-09-2011, 02:01 PM
Fingerless mitts are always good... you can wear them under mittens, take the mittens off when you need fingers, put them back on... etc. Of course, you could do the convertible mittens, too... but I'm more talking about the usefulness of fingerless mitts :p

kmaclean
02-09-2011, 03:05 PM
Great job .... I love fingerless mittens! :woohoo:

dturner
02-10-2011, 07:18 PM
Good job! I made a pair of fingerless mittens, well, really convertible mittens. This winter has been unusually cold, so I've really gotten a lot of use out of them!

noseysheep
02-11-2011, 11:58 AM
Thanks all...hubby has already put a request in, so I'm just over half way through making his...I started them with some burgundy Aran wool that I had, but he insisted they were too pink :teehee: , so I ripped back, and started his again with this teal/grey yarn

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/180479_10150145362180712_622940711_8034090_4952772 _n.jpg

And my mother has requested a pair too,so she's next on the list:knitting:

WandaT
02-13-2011, 12:46 AM
Congrats!! They look wonderful!! You are doing fabulous!!

MerigoldinWA
02-13-2011, 02:23 PM
:lol: You've become a factory worker with all the requests. Your mitts turned out very nicely and are really excellent for a first project. :thumbsup: Welcome to knitting, it sounds like you have the bug already.

hyperactive
02-13-2011, 06:39 PM
those look great and they do their trick nicely. So: congratulation to getting hooked on knitting.
Just be careful that with all those requests it stays fun for you. Be a little selfish.

noseysheep
02-14-2011, 02:26 PM
Thanks everyone!

Just be careful that with all those requests it stays fun for you. Be a little selfish.

Do you know what,I think you're dead right!

A few more folks over the weekend asked me for some mittens....and I don't mind, and I will do them....but maybe not yet.

I don't want too many projects on the go...and the other project currently on the go is a baby blanket, for an Irish charity.
The mini hearts were for my business, and the small shamrocks that I'll start soon on the empty 3mm needles will also be decoration for my business.
So when hubby's mitts are completed...the next project on that set of needles will involve learning to knit something new and different...for me ;)

ArtLady1981
02-15-2011, 04:43 PM
Oh yeah! I have these fingerless mitts in my Rav Queue, too! Aren't they just great!?

Yours are wonderful! Thanks for sharing!