PDA

View Full Version : Flat pattern to circular

XxavoOo
02-10-2011, 07:45 PM
I read somewhere that the gauge you get knitting on flat is different from the one you get on the round. Using a hat-flat pattern, I'll knit one on the round. Will the gauge be really different?

suzeeq
02-10-2011, 07:59 PM
It can be. Some people purl looser or tighter than they knit, so by eliminating purling for stockinette in the round, they can come out with quite a different gauge than knitting flat. The only way to see if you do is try both ways and measure.

salmonmac
02-10-2011, 07:59 PM
I've also heard that the gauge is slightly different between flat and in the round because of the slight difference in tension between knit and purl rows (in stockinette for example). In the round, you do stockinette by knitting all the rows as opposed to alternating knit and purl rows in flat knitting. I suspect the difference is slight but you could try it out and see whether you get a difference in gauge.

XxavoOo
02-10-2011, 08:03 PM
Thaanks. I think I actually purl tighter..
Anyways, I'm worried not about the gauge of the rounds, but of the stitches. So I guess there won't be a problem if I use the same number of CO stitches, and simply add some extra rounds if the hat isn't long enough.

suzeeq
02-10-2011, 08:21 PM
It's the stitch gauge that gets affected more.

Lyndalm
02-10-2011, 10:34 PM
I also understood that when converting flat to circular, you eliminate 2 stitches, which would be in the seam when seamed flat.