PDA

View Full Version : RE: Designer Knitting with Kitty Bartholomew

TEMA
02-13-2011, 05:06 PM
I've been reading thru a knitting book by Kitty Bartholomew and found some really nice, easy sweaters. The only thing is - she doesn't seem to give the amount of yarn required for any of the sweaters... so my question is - how do you find out how much yarn to use?
Thanks,
TEMA :shrug: :thumbsup:

Jan in CA
02-13-2011, 05:18 PM
Does she give you weight and yardage? You can always email her to find out how you're supposed to do it, too.
http://www.kittybartholomew.com/projects.htm

TEMA
02-13-2011, 10:07 PM
Thanks, Jan... :waving:
I sent her an email...
The book doesn't give yardage or weight but she describes the yarn.
She is using 3 different yarns held together to make the sweater.
It is a blend of a bulky black boucle, a black mohair and a multi-colored novelty yarn. The gauge is 1.9 sts per inch/ 3 rows per inch.
TEMA:thumbsup:

Jan in CA
02-13-2011, 10:09 PM
What is the name of the pattern? It can be looked up on Ravelry and see what it suggests or what others used.

TEMA
02-13-2011, 10:19 PM
What is the name of the pattern? It can be looked up on Ravelry and see what it suggests or what others used.

The pattern is called Black Multi-Tweed Cardigan - it's Project 3 in her book Designer Knitting with Kitty Bartholomew. It seems like a kind of sweater jacket but without buttons.
TEMA:knitting:

Jan in CA
02-14-2011, 01:07 AM
Huh. I didn't see it on Ravelry which doesn't happen often. Hopefully she'll get back to you.

TEMA
02-14-2011, 11:13 PM
Her site got back to me, Jan. I got a form letter... no mention of the question I asked.... but I also posted the same question on Ravelry and was told that the book actually tells you something about it on P 140 so I had a look and I guess I can give a somewhat accurate account of how much yarn I will need.
I appreciate your help so much... for one thing, I got to go to her site and see what else she is into. I think she is an amazing lady... all the other stuff she does including home decorating, talks, books and then knitting on top of it....
TEMA:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

ArtLady1981
02-15-2011, 05:49 PM
I've got this book right in front of me! OMG! I never noticed that there are no yardage numbers given ANYWHERE in the book, not even on page 140...which is just a description of the type of yarn...no yardages given whatsoever.

Predicting yardage requirements is tricky business. All she prolly knows is how much yarn she used for her model sweater, which if prolly the only one that exists on the planet!

But regardless...I think she should have given the yardage used for the model sweaters she is wearing in the book.

Now that I know this about the book, I regard this book as useless. Not everyone has an endless supply of yarn in a closet.

However, that said...if you look into other cardigan designs that use super-duper bulky yarn (1.9 st per inch)...and see what yardages are stated, you will come pretty close to how much you need.

I wish I had not purchased this book. I understand how frustrated you must feel. :eyes:

ArtLady1981
02-15-2011, 06:04 PM
OK, did some investigative work. Found a similar weight yarn at WEBS, and used that yarn as a guideline. Input the yarn into the Ravelry yarn search...found it...and then clicked onto the 742 projects that used the yarn (Blue Sky Alpacas Bulky is 2 st per inch)...and after landing on the next page, I typed "sweater" into the 742 projects search engine to further weed out scarfs and the like.

So, click here (http://www.ravelry.com/projects/AngrySriLankan/overhead-sweater) to view a man's pullover using the Blue Sky Alpacas Bulky. The guy used 565 yards.

Here (http://www.ravelry.com/projects/oneandonlysteph/suzy)is another sweater, a cardigan. The girl used 450 yards for the size small.

For YOUR CARDIGAN...if you are going to hold 3 yarns together to create the gauge...remember you will need about 600 yards PER TYPE of yarn.

Another similar gauge yarn is Cascade Yarns MAGNUM. Ravelry yarn search turns up 124 pages of projects, with 10 pages being sweaters. (http://www.ravelry.com/yarns/library/cascade-yarns-magnum/projects?status=&category=&craft=&color=&photoless=0&search=sweater)You could search those, too. You'll get a good feel for the yardage requirements for your sweater.

Hope this helps.

Jan in CA
02-15-2011, 07:12 PM
Yikes. I don't know what this sweater looks like, but IMO that's way too much work for a sweater where there are probably several other similar ones that actually DO have yardage. :shrug:

ArtLady1981
02-15-2011, 07:53 PM
Jan, it's a cute cardigan, simple lines, using 3 strands/types of mixed yarn to give it the tweedy look.

TEMA
02-15-2011, 10:00 PM
Hi Jan,
I so agree with you on this... so I've started another sweater that is a bit similar in that it has 2 strands (my own invention so I could get the weight).
It's a cardigan without buttons and it's quite heavy but I love it. IT's called Autumn Afternoons Cardigan and I think I got it from Lion Brand... IT calls for Lion Brand Quick and Thick but I'm using a black heavy worsted with a varigated sock yarn. IT makes the piece denser but that is what I'm looking for.
Because my yarn is a bit heavier than what they are calling for, I'm making the sweater in the bigger size to make up the difference.
I did a swatch and loved the look of the yarn and the lovely design the varigated yarn is making to the black.
So nice to be finally knitting again... :)
Dear ArtLady... thank you so much for your imput into my posting. I find it very difficult to understand why the amount of yarn was not in the book, myself. It doesn't make the book totally useless but it does make things a bit harder.
I love Kitty's sweaters. They all seem so different but in fact a lot of them are the same. I will, eventually, try one of her sweaters and see what happens. Thank you so much for your help.
TEMA:muah: to you both