PDA

View Full Version : Adult mittens

KatzKnitter
02-14-2011, 03:45 AM
I would like to make mittens for myself, but I want the kind with the hinged finger flaps; don't know the precise jargon. You can open the flap to use your fingers, then rebutton or maybe re-velcro it. And I've never made socks or mittens, so a plain pattern is fine. I can juice it up with multicolor yarn. These have to be very warm for the awful winters we have here.

Jan in CA
02-14-2011, 04:31 AM
I've made these.
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/urban-necessity-gloves

They were pretty easy, but I think next time I'd not do separate fingers so they more like fingerless mitts.

KatzKnitter
02-14-2011, 03:17 PM
The advantage of mittens is to generate cumulative warmth of all the fingers together. I don't know how to change pattern to remove the fingers; anyone have one that comes ready-made?Or can you change the pattern on that one for me? And the flap would have to attach in some way. I've come close to frostbite more times than you think, even with gloves. Hey, you're in warm CA!

Oh, I almost forgot--commercial gloves always have a thumb that's too long for my tiny hands. If I make my own, I won't have that problem. I hope...

Jan in CA
02-14-2011, 03:36 PM
I made these in Alpaca for my daughter in DC. The flap stays back pretty well on it's own surprisingly. I don't like the flaps that button because the button can get caught on things.

To make them w/o the fingers just knit in the round to where you want to stop. You don't have to do the whole finger thing.

BTW...these are called convertible mittens/gloves. This gives you something to search on because there are lots of patterns like this.