PDA

View Full Version : Dishcloth to shawl - help

cacunn
02-14-2011, 02:22 PM
I needed a break from what I had been knitting and decided to knit Yvone's Double Flower Dishcloth (http://www.groupepp.com/dishbout/kpatterns/dblflower.html). I was not knitting it for a finished piece as much as a change of pace and something to do. I am using Hobby Lobby's I love This Cotton in red. I have found that I really like the feel of this yarn and the pattern is great.

Now the problem: I want to change from a dishcloth to a shawl for my wife. I would be relatively simple to continue in a circular pattern, but, I like to make things hard. I would like to expand the circle and change it to a triangular shawl. Keeping the Double Flower somewhat centered.

Any suggestions?

suzeeq
02-14-2011, 02:27 PM
Okaaaaayyy, you have 8 petals, so you could do 4 of them, but you have to start out that way in the beginning. CO 4 st plus 2 or 3 for each edge, then follow the pattern, but you repeat only 4 times across instead of 8, and purl the WS rows. This will make more of a half circular shawl which is good, they tend to stay on better than a triangular one. And of course that's going to really make a half flower, I don't think there's a way to get a full flower in a triangle shaped shawl anyway, unless you do this as a center motif from the center out, then arrange the incs so there's 3 sides which form the triangle.

cacunn
02-14-2011, 02:31 PM
I'm looking more for a center motif to make it simple.

TrikkeAddict
02-14-2011, 02:38 PM
If I was going to do something like that I think that I would do it in miniature first to see what modifications you have to make and how it turns out.

suzeeq
02-14-2011, 02:54 PM
Then keep with the discloth pattern, and when you've gone through the rounds of it, you would add more rounds and incs, but do the incs so they're in a triangular shape with the flower in the center. Look at the chalice shawl (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/chalice-triangle-scarf) - a few of her designs are triangles knit from the center out. She started with a 3 petalled flower, but I don't see why you couldn't do it from the original, or maybe change it to a 6 pointed one. That way it would be easier to inc on 3 sides to get the triangle shape.

MMario
02-15-2011, 10:20 AM
I'd probably us short rows to square off the circle ; then work wings out from either side.

cacunn
02-15-2011, 12:17 PM
That was one of my considerations. I was looking at idea of short rows to the wings. Place the circle in the center of a triangle. Then work out from there or I might just be lazy and make it a circular shawl.

MMario
02-15-2011, 01:55 PM
That was one of my considerations. I was looking at idea of short rows to the wings. Place the circle in the center of a triangle. Then work out from there or I might just be lazy and make it a circular shawl.

There is a process called "Squaring the circle" (and I should remember whom to credit that to, but I do not)

You do the circle, then switch your increases to the four corners of a square and continue until about 1/3 larger (or more) then your circle - this gives you a square without too much distortion of your circle - and from there it would be easier to go to a triangle.

MM

cacunn
02-15-2011, 02:29 PM
I am increasing 8 stitched every other row. I'll move two increases to each corner and work from there.

Thanks MMario

MMario
02-16-2011, 09:46 AM
Glad to help

cacunn
02-16-2011, 10:18 AM
And I say tongue-in-cheek that is always the MEN that give the best advice about knitting.

Real men knit what ever they want, where ever they want.

KatzKnitter
02-17-2011, 02:42 AM
And DO NOT tell your wife her shawl started as a dishcloth.:p

cacunn
02-17-2011, 10:06 AM
And DO NOT tell your wife her shawl started as a dishcloth.:p

Are you saying that if she finds out is is just a big dishcloth I'm all wash up? :roflhard: :roflhard: