PDA

View Full Version : Need chart reading Help!

LoveKnitting999
02-17-2011, 04:16 PM
I am knitting a romper for a newborn baby that i got off of Ravelry. i'm almost done, but i've hit a wall! the pattern is knit in the round and i know that i am supposed to be doing some small cables in the bodice of the romper, but the chart is just throwing me off. It doens't have the usual x and o's on the chart it has x's and /'s. Its really hard to describe with out someone looking at it.
the pattern is called
13905 Romper
by Ane Cecilie Tofthagen
which was published in
Dale of Norway / Dalegarn #139, Designs for Baby

it doesn't have the pattern listed because it is out of print now, but I have a copy that she emailed me. If you can help me out by looking at the pattern and explaining it to me I will emial it to you.
I'm not an expert at reading charts at all...infact most of the patterns I knit have everything worded out instead of charted, so i'm a bit lost.

Please help me! lol :mrgreen:

cacunn
02-17-2011, 05:50 PM
I may be able to help. I'll pm my email address.

yarnrainbow
02-17-2011, 09:34 PM
Not having seen the pattern, I can only go from my own experience but I have seen charts where the symbols you're describing refer to the cable. I've attached an example.

LoveKnitting999
02-18-2011, 09:04 AM
It doesn't quite look like that. it just has x and / which I know the slash means its a cable. but i have no idea what kind of cable and there are no dots or lines to make a grid. there is nothing telling you what row it is either. if you PM me your email address I can forward the pattern to you.

cacunn
02-18-2011, 11:04 AM
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w173/cacunn/JumperCable001.gif
Based on the legend below this is a 2 over 2 cable. I have not seen this style of charting before, but then chart symbols are not truely standardized and have changed over the years.
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w173/cacunn/JumperCable002.gif

This is the same as the chart that yarnrainbow shows above.

LoveKnitting999
02-18-2011, 01:29 PM
thank you so much! i have not dealt much with charts before but i knew this was one i hadn't seen before. it was originally a Norwegian pattern so that might explain why its so different. Thanks so much for your help