PDA

View Full Version : Can they be salvaged?

vaknitter
02-18-2011, 10:05 PM
Okay - so I knit my felted mittens (no small feat with a mobile 7month old in the house) and threw them in the washer and that is where it all went bad. Turns out I must have thrown a remnant of Cascade Washable in my feltable yarns bin and hence I have partially felted mittens. The really frustrating part is that I knew the green was knitting differently than the rest of the mitten but didn't really give it much thought.
So - is there any way to salvage my mittens or are they garbage??

Jan in CA
02-19-2011, 01:53 AM
You can't undo felting or felt superwash so... Not really much you can do. :shrug:

crazykntter83
02-19-2011, 02:45 AM
I'm really sorry to hear about your mittens. :( I don't really know much about felting but....maybe you could undo the parts that aren't felted somehow, and reknit them with yarn that can be felted, then try refelting? Like maybe you can pick up stitches or something....just an idea, as I said, I really don't know much about felting....

vaknitter
02-19-2011, 08:14 AM
I was wondering about picking up stitches and re-felting, but before I put more time/effort into them I thought I would see what some of the more experienced knitters on here throught.

dddebbb3
02-19-2011, 09:21 AM
As the queen of fix-ups not limited by common sense, I'd turn them inside out and weave some feltable yarn around on the inside - maybe picking up every fourth stitch or so - then turn 'em right side out and felt again. What have you got to lose but a little time and a few yards of yarn? And you may gain a pair of really warm mittens.