PDA

View Full Version : Tree of Life altered blanket

rteachj
02-18-2011, 11:38 PM
I originally posted this as a blog thread, but was told that no one ever goes there anymore, so here I am!

On January 14th, I officially started my biggest knitting project ever. Actually, I started it a bit before that, but got about 15 rows in and kept noticing things that bugged me, and ended up frogging it and starting over. It was a good thing I did, because it turned out my math was all wrong.

I originally saw the pattern here (http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/90430AD.html), then found someone else's version of it, with larger trees in the center here (http://fairystitch.blogspot.com/2010/05/52in52-2010-challenge-37-tree-of-life.html).

I followed her links and got the charts for the small trees (from the original baby blanket) and the large trees (from a sweater), and the tulip border (also from the baby blanket), but couldn't seem to find the vines anywhere. Off to my stitch book.

I decided to replace the vines with a celtic braid, and my husband said I should find something more subtle and horizontal to go above and below the large trees in the center of the blanket, so I chose to do the celtic braids on either side of the large trees, and a wave pattern above and below.

Finally, I got in Excel and made my own chart. Like I said, my math was wrong because I didn't account for the "no stitch" squares in the charts. I'd never used a chart before (in knitting, anyway). It was a rookie mistake. :-)

I got finished with the main part of the blanket and realized that it is very long, and not very wide. I decided to add an inner border before doing the tulip border. Back to the magic stitch book. I found a fantastic openwork clusters pattern that looks a bit like leaves. After putting it on and starting the tulip border, it looks like they belong together.

So, January 14th was the day I started over, and I finally finished today. I've posted pics of each portion on my Facebook profile. I've attached a few.

~Renée :)

crazykntter83
02-19-2011, 01:51 AM
Oh wow.....that is absolutely gorgeous!! That makes me want to knit a blanket like that! Awesome work!!!! :)

Jan in CA
02-19-2011, 01:51 AM
That's beautiful! You did a great job on it, too!

Debbie
02-19-2011, 10:10 AM
Beautiful !

cheley
02-19-2011, 10:56 AM
Beautiful ! Breath taking!!!!!! I wanted to "attempt" the "baby version", but the pattern chart makes me nauseous!!! Great Job..

kittykins
02-19-2011, 12:16 PM
I agree. Your blanket is absolutely breathtaking! Only in my dreams can I picture myself knitting something so magnificent!

Many years ago I made The Tree of Life hand-sewn quilt. I did all the applique work and then my mom put it on her quilting frame and did the quilting. It was a joint labor of love which now makes it an extra special heirloom. Jeanie

WandaT
02-20-2011, 09:02 AM
Wow! What an incredible work of heart!!

kmaclean
02-20-2011, 10:09 AM
absolutely beautiful! :yay:

aprilbetty
02-20-2011, 10:15 AM
Beautiful blanket, and I love the fact that your husband had input into the final design.

Breezed
02-20-2011, 10:28 AM
Wow, great work. It's beautiful.

rteachj
02-20-2011, 01:05 PM
Thanks to everyone! I feel genuinely artistic for the first time in my life!

Debkcs
02-20-2011, 08:20 PM
I wanted to "attempt" the "baby version", but the pattern chart makes me nauseous!!! Great Job..

You knitted this in only a month? I'm really impressed, it's wonderful!

rteachj
02-20-2011, 09:17 PM
We had a lot of snow days, here in Oklahoma, so there was probably about a week and a half where I was able to sit and knit all day long.

Debkcs
02-22-2011, 06:07 PM
[QUOTE]We had a lot of snow days, here in Oklahoma, so there was probably about a week and a half where I was able to sit and knit all day long.[QUOTE]

Regardless, it's beautiful!

MerigoldinWA
02-23-2011, 01:41 AM
Very nice. Trees and leaves. Always beautiful. :thumbsup:

margz3
02-23-2011, 12:22 PM
Fantastic! I love that blanket....kind of intimidates me tho :eyes:

ArtLady1981
02-24-2011, 09:41 PM
Fantastic work! This isn't knitting...this is ART! Awesome blanket! You're awesome, too!

rteachj
02-28-2011, 06:06 PM
:yay: We have an employee "On Your Own Time" art show in my district that I've been encouraged to enter. We'll see how that goes.