PDA

View Full Version : A Herd of Cows, A Gaggle of Geese, A Mess of Patterns

AngelaR
02-21-2011, 08:40 AM
A disturbing habit was brought to my attention this weekend. It appears that I love to try out patterns. It was brought to my attention by my husband who asked about the stacks of books and magazines on my desk with sticky notes all over them.

Yeah, yeah, yeah.

The problem is, as I see it, books and magazines are fragile things and can easily be lost, spilled upon, torn, closed and hidden away when someone's daughter is wanting to tidy up the family room before friends come over for a Just Dance/Karaoke marathon. In the past, I would scan images into the drive on our server reserved just for my patterns. Then I would put the magazine or book up. It was easy, the scanned was right by me on my desk. Plus, I could easily transfer the image to my Kindle when going out and taking knitting with me.

A few months ago my old computer finally gave up the ghost and I built a new one. Someone put the scanner/printer/fax machine on my husband's desk and he just USURPED it! Since it's our network printer/scanner/fax, he just remapped everyone's printer selection. So now, if I wish to scan anything in, I have to use his machine, since it's physically connected.

Right, he's going to get off of his games long enough for me to sit and scan and properly catagorize all these magazines and books.

So tonight, I'm coming home from work and I'm going to start scanning, and keep scanning until I'm done.

I bet the scanner is back on my desk in the morning.

Ingrid
02-21-2011, 09:52 AM
:happydance:You go girl!!

noseysheep
02-21-2011, 01:43 PM
So tonight, I'm coming home from work and I'm going to start scanning, and keep scanning until I'm done.

I bet the scanner is back on my desk in the morning.

I'm betting you're quite correct :teehee: :mrgreen:

Daylilydayzed
02-21-2011, 02:32 PM
I suggest buying another scanner, that way you don't have to wait on your hubby to move his games.

Jan in CA
02-21-2011, 02:51 PM
Yeah, that's a hazard for knitters. I'm forever printing them out so I can read them at my leisure. I have a file cabinet with a ton of patterns, too. I still print them. :doh:Fortunately, I usually toss them if I don't think I'll use them, but I still end up with a bunch that I'll need to live to be 200 to actually do...and that's only if I don't print anymore. I also store the ones I can on my computer).

fatoldladyinpjs
02-21-2011, 04:31 PM
I say just move it back to yours. Most men are too lazy to unplug it and move it back. Possession is nine tenths of the law. lol

bambi
02-21-2011, 07:09 PM
I, too, am a pattern freak. I have no such system and have not even filed my patterns.

TAKE BACK THE SCANNER!!!

Jannette
02-22-2011, 03:52 PM
Go for it!

My patterns are stuffed willy nilly in a box. I'm hopeless at organization.

juliehl
02-23-2011, 01:44 AM
I try my best, but it is so hard!

AngelaR
02-24-2011, 09:26 AM
I'm so frustrated! I have not had one spare moment to take back the scanner. This weekend. Full out assault!

OffJumpsJack
02-24-2011, 10:46 AM
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

One up him. Network the scanner/printer in a neutral location. That should make it not local to any one PC but accessible to all for both printing and scanning.

Gee! My wife and I first have to kick the children off our one desktop PC if either of us wants computer time at home. But while your His and Hers PCs solves that problem it seems to have led to a different sharing bottle neck. :doh:

Question: Will you need one of those laptop security cables to keep the printer/scanner on your desk? :roflhard:

RuthieinMaryland
02-24-2011, 04:31 PM
Hi! Just remember - a journey of a thousand patterns begins with but a single step........retrieve YOUR scanner! :o)

Good luck!

Ruthie

LauraT7
02-25-2011, 01:46 AM
Sounds like everyone in the family uses the PRINTER part of your printer/scanner/fax - but you're the only one who uses the SCANNER part of it. So move it.

Or, check craigslist and garage sales for a used scanner - I'm not kidding, I think we had two in our garage sale last summer - you could have gotten them cheap- and I know the one that was mine was almost never used and practically new, had the book, software and cables with it, too.

You don't live in Illinois, do you? it may still be out in a box in the garage, waiting for a spring garage sale......

I collect patterns, too - Internet patterns are saved on my hard drive - but paper patterns..... well, that's a totally different story.

I do try to organize them - the free 1/2 sheet ones you get in the stores I have in a binder - but books and magazines - those are filed in a drawer - other than the ones I'm thinking about starting next. I'm just NOT an organized person, I guess! there is no way I would ever have the time to scan in my patterns and file them on computer!

KatzKnitter
02-25-2011, 04:30 AM
A tangle of yarns...