PDA

View Full Version : My very first FO!!

Microwench
02-22-2011, 09:56 AM
I just learned to knit at the beginning of this month (my awesom MIL taugh me) and last night, I finished my first project!:woohoo:
It is just a simple dishcloth, but it gave me a chance to figure out stitches, ribbing, and cast on/bind off.

My edges look pretty rough, not sure what I need to do, maybe tension? But overall, I am super happy with it!:happydance:

noseysheep
02-22-2011, 01:17 PM
Nice one microwench! :cheering:

Another newbie knitter here, and that feeling of achieving your first FO is such a buzz :mrgreen:

kmaclean
02-22-2011, 01:41 PM
Great job .... congrats on finishing your first project! :clink:

Maintaining an even tension throughout your project is one of those things that will come in time .... practice makes perfect, as they say! :thumbsup:

Keep up the good work, and be sure to post pics of your projects as you progress! :knitting:

kittykins
02-22-2011, 02:40 PM
http://www.groupepp.com/dishbout/kpatterns/knitting.html
Well done! Congratulations! Dishcloths are a great way to learn new techniques and stitches. Are you interested in learning YO's and k2tog? The Feather and Fan dishcloth pattern on Dishcloth Boutique is perfect for learning those. Three rows of the pattern sequence are just knitting across the row or purling across. Then you have a whole mess of YO's and k2tog on one row. This really makes a beautiful cloth and when it's finished, it looks like it was a lot more complicated then it was. I would suggest, (if you plan to give it a try), that you count and recount when you're doing the YO's/k2tog row...making sure you don't miss one of those stitches,(or do one too many:shrug:.) I'm really hooked on this pattern! I've made about 60 of them since just before Christmas. Given several sets away to friends and family. Good luck in your knitting adventures!:knitting: Jeanie

MerigoldinWA
02-23-2011, 01:44 AM
Looks good. How nice of your MIL to teach you. Knitting will be a good thing to have in common. :)

margz3
02-23-2011, 12:20 PM
Nice work! Keep on practicing and those edges will be even before you know it! Alot of people also like to slip the first stitch for an even edge.

CoolWool
02-23-2011, 01:11 PM
Wow - good work!! My first FO was a garter stitch scarf! You went way out! And that's cool that your MIL can help you when you need it. :)

Jan in CA
02-23-2011, 01:33 PM
That looks great! :thumbsup: Welcome to Knitting Help!

Freyja
02-23-2011, 04:10 PM
Congratulations!!!!:yay:
Tell your MIL congratulations for creating an enabler.:teehee:

TrueIconoclast
02-23-2011, 04:24 PM
:woohoo:

I can't believe that's your first FO.....it's awesome!

And hey, at least you got started early on purling. I tried to learn and got frustrated, picked it up again two weeks later then got frustrated. All in all it took me a good 3 months to get comfortable with purling.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

Microwench
02-23-2011, 04:58 PM
:woohoo:

I can't believe that's your first FO.....it's awesome!

And hey, at least you got started early on purling. I tried to learn and got frustrated, picked it up again two weeks later then got frustrated. All in all it took me a good 3 months to get comfortable with purling.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

It took me a while to 'get' purling too. MIL showed me, but I was wrapping the yarn the wrong way. I got lucky and found a good book with decent pictures. It still took me a good 15 minutes even with that!

Now to figure out increases, decreases, YO's and the like! Eeeek!:shrug:

ArtLady1981
02-24-2011, 09:35 PM
Very nice work! And the pattern stitch will pick up crumbs off the kitchen counter very efficiently!