PDA

View Full Version : yarn question...

hookedonknitting
02-24-2011, 04:59 PM
ok, So I wanted to knit this baby blanket

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/b18-15-blanket-in-moss-st-in-polaris

But this yarn seems to be a bit expnsive and hard to get in my area. So I have been looking for alternate solutions. The online/local forum peaked my interest on buying online so I checked out elann.com. I found this yarn and was wondering if it was similar enough in weight and also if the style (twists) was close.

http://www.elann.com/Commerce.Web/product.aspx?catID=30&id=123684

Thanks for all the help!

Jan in CA
02-24-2011, 05:16 PM
It's actually quite a bit different in gauge. 13 st over 4 inches vs 5 st over 4 inches. However, gauge doesn't really matter for a blanket since it doesn't have any fit like a garment. It will probably be a little smaller is all.

BTW...are you sure you want a baby blanket that has to be hand washed? And that yarn will probably felt like crazy and may also pill. Look it up on Ravelry and see what they say about it.

kmaclean
02-24-2011, 05:41 PM
I was going to say the same thing as Jan! :aww:

Personally, I wouldn't be too concerned about the exact gauge since it is a blanket ... you could always cast on extra stitches to account for the finer gauge (just be sure your total number of stitches works with your stitch pattern).

I would NOT recommend a yarn that must be hand washed for a baby blanket though .... the yarn you found is lovely, but I suspect it will not hold up well at all as a baby blanket. And I know that I wouldn't want to receive a baby gift that has to be hand washed (if I did, I would never use it!).

Just some things to think about! You could try checking out the yarns section on Ravelry to find yarns that are an appropriate weight and are machine washable to see if you find one that you like and fits your budget.

Good luck! :knitting:

hookedonknitting
02-24-2011, 06:13 PM
Well, I liked the pattern because it seems like a fast knit. I totally get the whole wool vs acrylic for kids ( I have twin two year olds) and I was torn about this issue. But as I live in Canada I thought it might make a nice stroller blanket. But I am very open for other quick knits in acrylic, I couldn't find much on Rav (amazing eh?!). The other thing I liked about it was it's cush factor :)

Jan in CA
02-24-2011, 06:34 PM
I searched Ravelry and filtered for machine washable, super bulky and wool and got a bunch. Here's a few other ideas in various price ranges. These are mostly blends, but they do have some wool.

I've used both of these yarns in the worsted weight version and they were nice and affordable.
Wool-ease thick and quick (http://www.ravelry.com/yarns/library/lion-brand-wool-ease-thick--quick)
Plymouth Encore Mega (http://www.ravelry.com/yarns/library/plymouth-encore-mega)

I've also used this one on a sweater in the worsted weight and it's very nice so I'm sure the bulky is nice, too. It's got more wool and is washable, but is bulky instead of super bulky.

Berroco Vintage Chunky (http://www.ravelry.com/yarns/library/berroco-vintagetm-chunky)

Do a filtered search and you can see what I mean. Also try just bulky weight and you get even more choices.

wellslipmystitches
02-24-2011, 06:49 PM
Oh, yes, Hooked,
By all means listen to these experienced people. Good grief, a new mother has enough trouble washing the baby by hand and drying it on a flat surface.

She won't appreciate a blanket requiring same - especially considering the multitude of body fluids it will probably acquire on a regular basis. Give her a break and look up yarns by companies. There are a gazillion baby yarns and others not so fine that will work and be serviceable.

Check on Patons - Lion Brand - Plymouth yarns. You will find regular 4 ply yarns that are soft, beautiful, gentle(even washable 20% wool and acrylic blends) and quite apropos for baby blankets and clothes if you like wool. I don't use much wool because of allergys. Something to think about.

There are many others, but these are some with which I've had experience. I'm sure others can mention more.

I'm sure you'll get more suggestions. Good luck.
Jean
P.S. You have 2yr. old twins? . . . and you're still sane? You're even sentient! Congrats and many good wishes.

hookedonknitting
02-24-2011, 07:59 PM
LOL! Yes I am sane on most days, not all though!
Jan- I loved some of those yarns you suggested!

suzeeq
02-24-2011, 10:09 PM
Good grief, a new mother has enough trouble washing the baby by hand and drying it on a flat surface.

:rofl:

Jan in CA
02-24-2011, 10:12 PM
Good, glad I could help! The yarns can also be found with all the colors on the yarn sites.

fatoldladyinpjs
02-24-2011, 11:21 PM
I like Lion Brand bulky acrylic yarns for something like this. I'm a mother of twins, too. My identical twin sons are 27 years old now. Once you get past the potty training stage, it's a breeze. They will keep the close bond between them for the rest of their lives. My twins live together. Best wishes to you.

Insanity is hereditary. You get it from your kids.

kmaclean
02-24-2011, 11:25 PM
Glad you found some great yarn options to check out! I just wanted to second the opinion that Lion Brand's Wool Ease might be a good one to look at ..... I've had great results with it and love that it's machine washable. I believe it comes in a variety of weights, too (worsted, chunky, thick & quick). The wool content adds warmth (I live in Canada too, so I know about cold!) and the acrylic makes for a yarn that stands up well to wear and washing. :thumbsup:

KatzKnitter
02-25-2011, 04:28 AM
The difference is that unless a wool is in a blend or marked "superwash," it's not machine washable. I just bought Plymouth Encore for a scarf, and its squishy as a pillow. Wool-Ease has less wool and more acrylic, and is slightly coarser.

Jan in CA
02-25-2011, 12:47 PM
Some blends will felt, it depends on what they have in them. The sweater I'm making has Trendsetter Vigna for the yoke and it's 52% wool, 48% acrylic. I did a swatch and tossed it in the washer and dryer and surprisingly it did felt slightly. I did this intentionally to see what would happen.

The key thing to look for is that it says 'superwash' or that it says machine washable.

wellslipmystitches
02-25-2011, 04:10 PM
[QUOTE=hookedonknitting;1316814]LOL! Yes I am sane on most days, not all though!
Dear hooked, Sweetie, do you think any one else in this world is sane on every day? If "most days" is your description, you're doing very well and a whole lot better than most, judging from world events lately.

. . . and don't worry,your twins, for sure, will be potty trained before they go to college, even if some days you don't think so. I guarantee it.

My Best,
Jean

hookedonknitting
02-25-2011, 08:11 PM
Well I went to micheals and I found a supper soft lion brand chunky boucle. It was on sale so I got enought to finish the blanket:)
God I hope they will potty train fully soon!Ack! My boys are identical too, so i am glad to hear yours stayed together as friends!