PDA

View Full Version : interchangable sets

AH1OZ
02-25-2011, 09:11 AM
I am looking to purchase a set of interchangeable needles.

I guess I am a little picky - because I was size 2 or 3 as the smallest size, and I want short cables... I also like metal needles.

I saw one set that had went down to size 2, but the shortest cable was 16 inches

then I saw one with a 9 inch cable but the smallest size was a 5 or 6 (can't remember)

can anyone suggest a set?

kmaclean
02-25-2011, 09:54 AM
Honestly, I think most sets start with a US 4 as the smallest size and come with 24" or 32" cables to start with (although you can purchase 16" cables for many of them). I haven't seen any sets that include tips any smaller than a US 4, but I guess there must be a few out there since you found one.

As for the cables, I don't think very many people use a cable smaller than a 16" very often .... I've never even seen one (either fixed or interchangeable) in stores. Although I've seen a couple available online. The fact that not many people would ever use smaller than a 16" is probably why they aren't included in interchangeable sets (sets are meant to be versatile for the average knitter).

Another reason could be that they aren't possible to make .... I know that with the KnitPicks sets you can't get cables any smaller than a 24" because it won't work with the needle tips. Generally the tips on most interchangeable needles are a little longer, and if you try to put them on a cable that short you won't be able to actually work your knitting. I think there might be a couple of sets out there that are able to go down to a 16" cable, but I've never seen interchangeable cables any shorter than that.

Maybe someone else will be able to suggest a set that will work for you. If not, you could go with a traditional interchangeable set and then supplement with fixed circulars in the smaller sizes. If you're ONLY wanting the smaller needles/shorter cables, then maybe an interchangeable set isn't the right choice for you. :shrug:

Jan in CA
02-25-2011, 12:39 PM
I seriously doubt you're going to find an interchangeable set with shorter cables or needle sizes. There is a reason for this- The needle size that comes with interchangeable sets can't be used with a cable that short. The needle length would need to be shorter and most people do not like the shorter needles for everyday use. Most people also don't like working with a circ smaller than 16 inches. And as I understand it needles smaller than size 4 don't work well for an interchangeable because they are too thin so they are made as fixed circular needles. You'll have to buy the ones you want separately.

Mamamoose
03-02-2011, 09:54 AM
the boye set has sizes 2-15, and 4 (i think) different cable sizes. I think the smallest may be 16inches. I have this set and like them a lot, and they are metal.

fatoldladyinpjs
03-02-2011, 11:04 AM
I love my Knitpicks interchangeable set. The smallest size is a 4. The nice thing about them is that you can buy connectors to connect two cables together, like when you're knitting a sweater and need the extra length.

Cathlete
03-02-2011, 04:35 PM
I'm also looking to purchase a set of interchangeable knitting needles, but can't decide between these two:

The rainbow-colored-denise-interchangeable-needles
from knitdenise.

or

Options Interchangeable Zephyr Acrylic Circular Knitting Needle Set
from knitpicks.

Any helpful reviews are welcome, please.

VickyS617
03-02-2011, 07:03 PM
You might consider the Hiya Hiya interchangeable set (try yarnbazaar.com). They are metal and come in two sets, one w/ size 2 - 8 and one w/ 9 - 15. I've heard they are nice. I don't have them yet - am waiting for a good sale. The shortest cable makes 16" but they sell individual 9" circulars. I don't think an interchangeable any shorter would work.

If you decide and get a set please post and let us know what you think of them.

Good luck.

Jan in CA
03-02-2011, 07:07 PM
Well, as pretty as the Denise needles are I'd probably go for the Options. I know plenty of people here love the Denise though so you really can't go wrong with either one.

I personally prefer the Options nickel plated myself.

JLonier
03-05-2011, 04:31 PM
I love any of the knitpics needles. Have them all for different reasons. Very smooth joins on all of them and if there's ever a problem they're very good about replacing needles or cables.

I have the Denise set too, but just haven't used them since I bought the KP's. Nothing wrong with them other than the cable is a bit thicker than most others.

Oh, and if you learn the "magic loop" technique you won't need shorter cables. :woohoo:

CoolWool
03-05-2011, 06:03 PM
I'm just glad you posted this thread 'cause I've been looking to buy an interchangable set myself. Heck, I've already bought four circulars for different projects and could have saved myself money in the long run by getting an interchangable set. *SIGH*

Jan in CA
03-05-2011, 10:48 PM
I'm just glad you posted this thread 'cause I've been looking to buy an interchangable set myself. Heck, I've already bought four circulars for different projects and could have saved myself money in the long run by getting an interchangable set. *SIGH*

:lol: Most of us have done this. Annoying isn't it? Especially if you bought Addis like I did..yikes $15 or more each. :zombie:

ZoeS
03-07-2011, 12:18 AM
I got the two Hiya Hiya sets and love them. I like that they have a wide range of sizes and that the needles are only 4" (as opposed to 5"). I then gave away ALL of my other circs and straights! Woohoo.

cacunn
03-07-2011, 12:38 AM
Hiya Hiya and Boye Needlemasters are the only interchangable sets that I know of that go as small as US size 2. I have both and like the needles on both but the cable on the Boye are very stiff and had to work with especially if you try magic loop.

The HiyaHiya small set size 2 to 9 (not sure about the large size) came in either 4 or 5 inch needles. I like the 4 inch needles for socks.

The length of the cable is a function of the length of the needle. Looking at the 5 inch needles if attached to each other you would have a 10 inch double point. If you have a 2 inch cable between the two 5 inch needles (a twelve inch cable needle) the needle point would meet each other at such a sever angle that you could not knit. You need a cable at least as long as the needle if not a needle and a half so you can knit.

There are a number of needle makes that are making 9, 10, 11 and 12 inch cable needles. The length of the needles increase as you go from 9 inch cable to the 12 inch cable.

I did take the needles off one of my 9 inch fixed cables and try to adapt them to work with the Hiya Hiya cables. I was not totally happy with the results, but, I had a 10 inch interchangeable needle for knitting socks. When I wanted to try the sock on I would attach a longer interchangeable cable and slide it through. I need to play with this idea some more.

suecq
03-07-2011, 09:50 AM
[quote=cacunn;1317716]Hiya Hiya and Boye Needlemasters are the only interchangable sets that I know of that go as small as US size 2. I have both and like the needles on both but the cable on the Boye are very stiff and had to work with especially if you try magic loop.

You can order size 3 and I think size 2 also for the Knitpicks interchangeable set. You have to order from Europe as KnitPro makes them and Knitpicks does not carry them. I have the size 3 in the Harmony (wood) KnitPicks.

janae1987
03-07-2011, 11:27 AM
My try it set arrived last Wednesday!!!! I still havent had a chance to really use them as i was down all week and home from work with the flu!!! im dreading makin the decision as to what set to order...ive narrowed it down to either the harmony or the np...decisions decisions...

Jan in CA
03-07-2011, 02:24 PM
I didn't know that, Suecq! Thanks for the info!

crazykntter83
03-07-2011, 02:53 PM
huh. That's freakin awesome. I'll totally have to order some of the size 2 and 3 tips. I wonder why they don't have those in US sizes....

Howdovely
03-07-2011, 03:20 PM
I'm also looking to purchase a set of interchangeable knitting needles, but can't decide between these two:

The rainbow-colored-denise-interchangeable-needles
from knitdenise.

or

Options Interchangeable Zephyr Acrylic Circular Knitting Needle Set
from knitpicks.

Any helpful reviews are welcome, please.

I have the rainbow set, and just received the knitpicks offer of one each of their wood, metal and zephyr needles, each in a different size.

I like the rainbow set - very pointy tips, yarn slides easily.
I just cast on a baby sweater with the zephyr needles to try them and am on row 14. My first couple rows I kept thinking 'boy, these are more sticky than anything I've ever knit with'. I guess I got more used to them, because now I like them. I don't think I'd order the whole set in zephyr tho - I love the harmony wood ones too much. They are really pretty and I'll probably order the set in that soon.