PDA

View Full Version : Frusrated...

rswank
02-25-2011, 03:53 PM
I am new to knithelp, just stumbled onto this site, and havn't had a chance to get to know how things work much around here, but I am having some troubles. Every time I encounter any kind of pattern, I can understand a few lines but after that I just get completly lost. How am I ever going to get started finishing any actual projects if I can't seem to get thru reading a pattern. Its not the abbreviations, its easy enough to figure out what those mean, its just getting trampled under all the instructions. Any suggestions, maybe some good sugestions on how to somehow gradually get my feet wet, or maybe some super, super easy patterns to start with? Maybe there is an "understanding knitting patterns for dummies" book somewhere:) I'm determined to not let anything stop me from getting involved in a hobby that I love more and more, the more I learn. Any feedback, or suggestions appreciated! Thanks!

RochesterKnitter
02-25-2011, 04:43 PM
Dear RSWANK,

Please don't be discouraged. Everyone feels this way at first. You will get it over time.

May I suggest that you start by only doing one color projects. By simply working with different combinations of knit and purl you can create very different patterns. You should be very comfortable with stockinette, garter, reverse stockinette and ribbing before you move on. Then try seed or basket weave.

Next try some cables. They seem hard, but aren't. They will add interest to your work and don't require yarn/color changes. A basic scarf with a single simple repeating cable should be a very doable project.

Finally work on adding color, but go back to just the stockinette and garter patterns to start. Create rows/bands/stripes of color this way. See what happens when you knit a row in one color then purl in another and vice versa. When you are comfortable with juggling multiple yarns/colors you can then try intarsia and fair isle/stranding to add color patterns (not just rows) to your work.

knittingpatterncentral.com offers lots of free patterns.

wellslipmystitches
02-25-2011, 05:57 PM
Oh my, rswank! What kind of patterns have you been looking at? If you are a begninning knitter, I'd suggest forgetting about patterns right now and just do small swatches. First do just knits, both sides, (garter stitch). Then, when you're comfortable with that do purls, and alternate with knits one row and purl one row ( stockinette st.)

Then check out some of the videos on this site where you'll see how to do many things. You can take off from there and knit some projects that won't throw you. You can ask questions and find out just about anything you need to know here. Take your time and enjoy the learning journey.
Jean

suzeeq
02-25-2011, 06:29 PM
If the pattern is online, copy and paste it into a text or Word file, then put spaces between each row and each instruction to break it up, then print it and you can check off each row as you do it. Some people copy each row onto separate index cards then they're only looking at a small part at a time.

And if you don't understand something, come here and ask. If the pattern's not online, you can post just a couple rows of it to get help, just not the entire thing.

salmonmac
02-25-2011, 07:18 PM
Definitely don't be discouraged by being unable to read and understand a pattern. Start with something simple and cast the sts on the needle. Once you start to follow the pattern row by row all those unintelligible instructions become clear. They make sense when you see the knitting as it's progressing. And right, when you come to a problem, come back here with it.

rswank
02-26-2011, 01:40 AM
Realy appreciate everone feedback! Nice to have a little support! Again, many times Thanks. Sounds like its normal if I need to slow down and take my time;)

cheley
02-26-2011, 12:24 PM
Realy appreciate everone feedback! Nice to have a little support! Again, many times Thanks. Sounds like its normal if I need to slow down and take my time;) I am thinking you are not confused by abbreviations, just the "symbols" in the pattern...get "How to Knit" by Debbie Bliss...she explains everything like what do in between (), or rep after the * also Debbie Stoller Stitch n Bitch is a good book...Oh and the videos here on KH are very helpful...and don't give up!!!!

noseysheep
02-26-2011, 12:53 PM
Oh gosh, I know exactly where you're coming from!

The very first pattern I looked at blinded me completely!

Then I started messing with knitting squares, watching youtube vids, lurking here, learning terms & abbreviations, picking up a few new techniques every time I got comfortable with the one I'd learned previously etc.

Then I started looking at a few patterns again,and they started making more sense...my plan with each project is to try something new...and I've found that sometimes on a read-through it doesn't make sense to me or just plain confuses me...but by the time I've knitted to the point where that particular line of instruction comes into play it makes perfect sense.

I'm still very much a newbie-learner...but every day is a school day :mrgreen: And recently I re-read that first pattern, and was delighted to find I understood it completely :happydance:
(might not be able to proficiently do the stitches required (yet!) but at least I now understand what its asking for)

fatoldladyinpjs
02-27-2011, 01:56 PM
Another thing I can suggest is to learn a new technique from Youtube. I think they've got just about everything on there.