PDA

View Full Version : Some Newbies Question on Hat

Teh
02-26-2011, 10:09 PM
Hello

I am learning to knit a hat. I tried one pattern and the hat did not turn out how I expected even though I measured the gauge. Now I am going to try another hat pattern and hope that you can help me.

Hat (head circumference): 21” (23”)
Gauge: 12sts / 14 row = 4”sq on size 9

CO 50 (56) sts. Pm and join, being careful not to twist sts.
K each row for 4”.
P2 rows
K4 rows
P2 rows
Continue in st st until piece measures 7.5” (8” from CO edge.

Decreasing:
21”:
Rd 1: Knit 1 rnd, dec 2 sts evenly around.
Rd 2: *K4, K2tog*, rep from *to* around.
Rd 3: *K3, K2tog*, rep from *to* around.
Rd 4: *K2, K2tog*, rep from *to* around.
Rd 5: *K1, K2tog*, rep from *to* around.
Rd 6: *K2tog*, rep from *to* around.
Cut of yarn and threat throught rem sts.

23”:
Rd 1: *K5, K2tog*, rep from *to* around.
Rd 2: *K4, K2tog*, rep from *to* around.
Rd 3: *K3, K2tog*, rep from *to* around.
Rd 4: *K2, K2tog*, rep from *to* around.
Rd 5: *K1, K2tog*, rep from *to* around.
Rd 6: *K2tog*, rep from *to* around.
Cut of yarn and thread throught rem sts.

Here is what I do not understand:

1. What does that mean “Knit 1 rnd, dec 2 sts evenly around”.? I just do not understand what it means when it said decrease 2 sts evenly around.

2. Gauge. What I understand is to use the head circumference times number of stitches per inches.
Eg, 23” x 6sts =138sts for CO. I tried it and end up the size is too big. Anyway, this is what happened on my old pattern.

3. I plan to use different size of needle and yarn. I believe this will have different number sts on CO. It seems that when they change the number of CO sts that it changes the pattern for the decreasing part. How do I know how to alter the pattern if I change the number of sts I cast on.

Thank You.

RochesterKnitter
02-26-2011, 10:33 PM
1. What does that mean “Knit 1 rnd, dec 2 sts evenly around”.? I just do not understand what it means when it said decrease 2 sts evenly around.
This means to do 2 decreases in the course of your round but don't put them right next to each other. You want things to be evenly spaced so your hat doesn't start to "bend". So take the number of stitches you have and divide that roughly in half. Put one decrease at start of round and another decrease half way through.

2. Gauge. What I understand is to use the head circumference times number of stitches per inches.
Eg, 23” x 6sts =138sts for CO. I tried it and end up the size is too big. Anyway, this is what happened on my old pattern.
Where are you getting the number 6? Are you using yarn that matches the pattern gauge or trying something else?
The pattern calls for a yarn with 12sts in 4 inches (3 stitches per inch) and to CO 56 for the 23" circ.

3. I plan to use different size of needle and yarn. I believe this will have different number sts on CO. It seems that when they change the number of CO sts that it changes the pattern for the decreasing part. How do I know how to alter the pattern if I change the number of sts I cast on.
Since you are just learning, I recommend that you try a yarn with the recommended gauge. If you can't find one (or one you like) then change your needle sizes so that 12 stitches will give you 4 inches (do a guage swatch) and then stick to the pattern as written, casting on 56 stitches.

Teh
02-27-2011, 12:22 AM
2. I wasn't talking about the pattern so much but when I watch video and a lot of time they will talk about measuring someone head and compare that to your gauge to find out how many CO you need to do.
It is more for when I am not using a pattern and I want to see how the gauge measurement work with someones head circumference.
Here is what I did last time..
23" x 6sts (based on gauge) = 138".
Endup my result is too large.

suzeeq
02-27-2011, 12:36 AM
You have to make a hat an inch or two smaller than the head size or it'll be too big - they stretch. Here's a generic hat recipe (http://www.mielkesfarm.com/bsic_hat.htm)that works with any gauge, any head.

salmonmac
02-27-2011, 09:04 AM
The hat was too large because you multiplied the circumferance in inches times the incorrect number for gauge. In the pattern you quote, the gauge is 12st per 4" so you should have mulitplied by 3 (12 divided by 4), i.e. 23 x 3 = 69. Cast on 69 sts.

suzeeq
02-27-2011, 09:47 AM
Ahh yes, I didn't catch that. You had more than twice as many sts as you needed.

fatoldladyinpjs
02-27-2011, 12:06 PM
Most patterns tell you to knit a test swatch. Figure out how many stitches per inch you knit. Multiple that by the head circumference for the number of cast on stitches. Technically, that's correct. But what will happen is the hat is too big and slips around on your head. You need to decrease the number of cast on stitches by one or two inches. Don't worry, you're not doing anything wrong. This is one of the things you understand once you knit hats for a while. Are you knitting this in the round or on straight needles? If you're doing straight needles, you'll need to add two stitches for seaming it up.

Teh
03-01-2011, 11:44 PM
Thank you everyone. /hug

PRitchie
03-02-2011, 02:35 PM
Thank you as well...helps!!

Teh
03-02-2011, 05:23 PM
P2, slip next 3 sts onto cable needle and hold in back of work, K3, knit stitches from the cable needle, P2, K1.

When it said "hold in back of work", is that mean move it to the back?

I am not sure I should move them to the back or front. :(

Can someone tell me please. Many thanks.

suzeeq
03-02-2011, 06:58 PM
The 'back of the work' is away from you, not the RS or WS of the item. Front of work is the side facing you.

salmonmac
03-03-2011, 06:51 AM
Yes, put the cable needle to the back of the work. If you do that the finished cable crosses from left to right. If you put the sts on the cable needle to the front, then the cable crosses from right to left.
Your pattern may have a mix of both kinds of cables. But if it's only one kind, then you can just do the one you prefer, to the back or to the front (left or right cross).

KatzKnitter
03-10-2011, 01:14 AM
You put the st on the cable, push it back behind your work, then K3 from the left needle, then K the st on the cable.