PDA

View Full Version : First time knitting tank top and need help understanding the pattern.

LaylaL
03-04-2011, 05:23 PM
I have only knitted scarfs and blankets and I found a tank top that I want to knit. I need some help reading the pattern.

I am assuming that i start by casting on 69 sts (want the small size) and then knit the first row. Now do I start working the Lace Pattern rows 1-4. Next I am a little confused too. I don't know what to do or if I am off to the right start. When it says work until back measures 10 1/2 does the mean down or accross. I think it means down. Also do you knit the shoulder straps on to it or do you knit them seperately and attach them. I am confused and I am not sure if maybe I am taking on more than I should. But I really like this tank top and I want to give it a try!

Finished Measurements:
Chest: 34 1/2 (36 1/2, 38 1/2, 40 1/2 inches)

Length: 16 (17, 18, 19) inches
Gauge

16 sts and 23 rows = 4 inches/10cm

Gauge is extremely important in clothing projects.

Pattern Stitch
Lace Pattern (has an odd number of stitches)
Row1 (RS): *K2tog, yarn over; repeat from * to last stitch, end k1.

Row2:Knit across.

Row3:K1, *yo, ssk; rep from * across.

Row4:Knit across.

Rep Rows 1-4 for pat.

Back
Cast on 69 (73, 77, 81) sts. Knit 1 row.

Border
Beg with Row1, work Rows1-4 of Lace pat.

Body
Beg with a knit row, work even in until back measures 10 1/2 (11, 11 1/2, 12) inches ending with a RS row.

Next row(WS):K9 (11, 11, 13), place marker, purl to last 9 (11, 11, 13) sts, place marker, knit to end.

Beg pat
Row1:Work Row1 of lace pat to first marker, sl marker, knit to next marker, work Row1 of lace pat over last 9 (11, 11, 13) sts.

Rows2 and 3:Work Rows2 and 3 of established lace pat on first and last stitches, working stitches between markers.

Shape armholes
Bind off 4 (6, 6, 8) sts, knit to marker, purl to next marker, knit to end, binding off last 4 (6, 6, 8) sts (5 sts outside each marker). Cut yarn.

Row1(RS):Attach yarn and work Row 1 of lace pat to marker, ssk, knit to 2 sts before next marker, k2tog, work Row 1 of lace pat to end.

Row2:Knit to marker, purl to next marker, knit to end.

Row3:Work Row 3 of lace pat to marker, ssk, knit to 2 sts before next marker, k2tog, work Row 3 of lace pat to end.

Row4:Knit to marker, purl to next marker, knit to end.

Rows5-8:Rep Rows 1-4.

Rows9-11:Rep Rows 1-3. (49, 49, 53, 53 sts)

Row12(WS):Knit across, removing markers.

Rows13-15:Work Rows 1-3 of Lace pat across all sts.

Row16(WS):K9, and place sts on holder; bind off center 31 (31, 35, 35) sts, k9.

Shoulder straps
Beg with Row1, work lace pat on last 9 sts until front measures 19 (20, 21, 22) inches. Bind off.

Work other shoulder strap same as first.

Front
Work as for back.

RochesterKnitter
03-04-2011, 06:16 PM
So many questions! ;) I will try to help.

*I am assuming that i start by casting on 69 sts (want the small size) and then knit the first row.
Correct

*Now do I start working the Lace Pattern rows 1-4.
Yes

*When it says work until back measures 10 1/2 does the mean down or across.
Up/down. You are measuring the length. (width was determined by casting on 69 stitches)

*do you knit the shoulder straps on to it or do you knit them separately and attach them.
Near the end (top) of piece you will be putting 9 stitches on a holder, binding off the center 31, and knitting the final 9.
These 9 stitches on either end are going to be the start of the two straps (each 9 stitches wide). So they are already attached to your piece and do not need to be sewn on.

*But I really like this tank top and I want to give it a try!
By all means, Do!!!