PDA

View Full Version : FO - More Dishcloths

okckwilter
03-05-2011, 12:45 PM
I seem to have been stuck on dishcloths while learning. Here are some I recently finished. While I enjoy them and I've learned tons, I've finally decided to make the leap and have started on an afghan! Sure hope I can stick with it and finish it. At any rate, I really like my new dishcloths! If nothing else, I'll make more dishcloths when I get bored with the afghan.

Jan in CA
03-05-2011, 12:54 PM
Those are pretty! I think an afghan would bore me to tears. :lol:

okckwilter
03-05-2011, 02:14 PM
Those are pretty! I think an afghan would bore me to tears. :lol:

Thanks, Jan! That's what I'm concerned about, getting bored with the afghan. The pattern I'm using, a freebie found online, is easy but every-other row is purled across 184 stitches. That's a lot of purling, especially when the purl stitch still does not come easy to me! I figure I'll either be really good at purling by the time I get this thing done, or I'll give up in disgust! :roflhard:

Jan in CA
03-05-2011, 02:38 PM
Purling!? :zombie: No way I'd purl that much. I hate when I have to do a sweater! If I could wear wool they'd all be steeked!

okckwilter
03-05-2011, 03:23 PM
Purling!? :zombie: No way I'd purl that much. I hate when I have to do a sweater! If I could wear wool they'd all be steeked!

"Steeked?" I'm not familiar with that term. Explain please?

Well, you've certainly made me feel better about purling, Jan! Here I thought it was just me, still trying to figure out how to make purling come easily. It's good to know that even experienced knitters dislike purling! :)

Jan in CA
03-05-2011, 04:02 PM
Yeah, I can do it fine, but I don't particularly like to do it. I know how to knit both english and continental and I don't particularly like long stretches with either one.

Steeking is where you cut your knitting to create a cardigan or add a sleeve, etc. It's easier done with feltable wool because wool has those little guard hairs that make it stick to itself. It's a process of securing the edge and then cutting and adding the button band. I actually have a sweater that is part wool right now that needs to be steeked. It needs to be much more secure so I'm going to use my sewing machine which needs DH to finish fixing it first. If I ever get it done I'll share of course.

lgoddard
03-05-2011, 05:18 PM
You can never have enough dishcloths in my mind. Those are really pretty, love the different patterns

okckwilter
03-05-2011, 05:41 PM
You can never have enough dishcloths in my mind. Those are really pretty, love the different patterns

Thanks! The pictures are pretty crummy but the multi-colored cloth with the diamond design, in the first picture, is my favorite. I gave it away to a friend at work but it came out so pretty that I'm planning to make it again.

mwhite
03-06-2011, 10:40 AM
I love dishcloths and yours look great! And you can never have too many and they make great gifts.... :)

They are also one of knitting's best learning tools and are actually swatches that are useful... tension, gauge, stitch manipulation, cabling, lace, entarsia.....OMG, the list is endless...have fun!

ArtLady1981
03-06-2011, 04:24 PM
ooooo, magnificent! very pretty! useful! I love dishcloths, too!

TEMA
03-06-2011, 11:48 PM
How wonderful! I see you are turning the making of dishcloths into an art form. The colours are so wonderful. I would love to have this array of colours and patterns in my kitchen.
They are so beautiful!
TEMA :inlove:

okckwilter
03-06-2011, 11:55 PM
Thanks, everyone! I'm pretty doggone pleased with my new dishcloths!

kmaclean
03-07-2011, 10:27 AM
I love the patterns/colors you used ... great job! :woohoo:

margz3
03-07-2011, 01:13 PM
Judging by the look of your dishcloths, you are learning very well - they came out great, and best of all, they are useful! :thumbsup:

Microwench
03-08-2011, 03:21 PM
Oooh! I really like the one with the raised diamonds! That is awesome.

I too love dishcloths. I am learning as well, and have decided they are the easiest way to practice stiches. Eventually I will venture out... :shrug:

Breezed
03-11-2011, 10:26 PM
That's some nice looking dish cloths.