PDA

View Full Version : Curling golden hat

Woodi
03-12-2011, 01:59 PM
as I knit and knit on this simple hat, it seems to grow shorter instead of longer, cuz of its rolled edge. I hope it stretches out as I want it to after blocking. It sure is soft. I'm making it for a young monk's bald head.

http://www.soapmaker.ca/SoapPics/CurlyGoldHat.JPG

Jan in CA
03-12-2011, 03:13 PM
Did you post this a s WIP or a question? I can move it if you want.

Without a purl row they do tend to keep rolling. I've found a couple methods that work pretty well..use smaller needles on the roll (about 6 rows) then switch to the larger ones. I did this on my roll edge sweater and after washing the rolls stay small.

What I did on this last one was to knit for the 6 rows on smaller needles (4) then knit one purl a row as a "bumper", then switch to the larger needles (6) and knit the rest of the hat. I knit for about 6.5 inches. That hat fits my husbands bald head perfectly. I think I will always use this method from now on. I'll post a pic later.

Woodi
03-12-2011, 03:22 PM
Oh, thanks Jan....no, don't move it; it's ok. I like your suggestion of switching to larger needles, but don't want to change now, so rolled it will stay. I'm hoping it will stretch out a bit with blocking. I'd love to see a pic of your hubby's one, esp on his head (or not....).

It's much golder in color than the photo shows, can't seem to get it true. Sure is sunny-looking though.

does this look yellower? - nope, not really; it's still much golder and shinier than what is shown...

http://www.soapmaker.ca/SoapPics/GoldHat.JPG

CoolWool
03-12-2011, 10:46 PM
It's cool! I like the color. Is it like a pumpkin orange? Or a gold? Either way, looks good. :thumbsup:

ArtLady1981
03-13-2011, 05:29 AM
I sure do like the yarn, and the color! Rolled brims have their limit as to how far up they'll roll! :)

Woodi
03-13-2011, 03:29 PM
Oh good, the color is truer now....must be the daylight.
The hat is now 7 inches in length and I intend to keep going to at least 7.5 inches before I begin the 16 rows of decrease. Last hat I made like this barely covered the recipient's ears ....and to add to her sadness it shrunk after the first wash she gave it. Here the color looks more true. I hope to show you it on the monk's head, if he'll pose for a picture wearing it. I think his robes are close to this color, maybe duller though.
They like to wear hats inside their little sleeping cabins (which they call a 'kuti"). It's pretty cold in there, what with winter being so long here, so they need an indoor hat on their shaved heads.

http://www.soapmaker.ca/SoapPics/GoldCap.JPG

I sure hope they don't mind the lumpy, bumpy homemade look to it. I cannot seem to do any better with my knitting... but if someone were to give me an ultra-handmade-looking hat to wear, I sure wouldn't complain. Might even love it better for its lumpiness. The rough look of beginning knitting is difficult to achieve after you get better at it....right?

Woodi
03-13-2011, 03:38 PM
I just added this to my stash, but have no idea what to do with it....

was half price, at $10.35
http://www.soapmaker.ca/SoapPics/silkyarn.JPG

suzeeq
03-13-2011, 03:40 PM
They make good shawls or bags; knitty has a pattern or two for a hobo type bag.

Breezed
03-13-2011, 06:36 PM
I just added this to my stash, but have no idea what to do with it....

was half price, at $10.35

I love sari silk strands. They are so pretty made up. Search Ravelry too, they have several patterns. I particularly like some of the scarves. Also the hobo bag someone else mentioned is really cool too.

Oh and I like the color of your hat. I would think a monk would be more than happy for any hand knit item, because of their lifestyle.

Woodi
03-14-2011, 04:29 PM
Thanks for the tips. I found a good hobo bag pattern for free on Ravelry....will give it a try.

margz3
03-15-2011, 04:39 PM
Looking good! And, it won't look lumpy/bumpy once it's on a head! Great tips from Jan as well - must keep those in mind :wink: