PDA

View Full Version : Braided Felted Scarf in Stockinette using 8needle????

Mikked
03-12-2011, 11:29 PM
I'm new at knitting so I'm still learning. I found this free pattern from Lion Brand yarns that I really like the look:

lionbrand.com/patterns/80918AD

I'm beginning to think their instructions and materials are not the way to create this scarf. I learned how to purl thanks to knitting help videos but is currently very slow going. But using size 8 need seems to me that it's going to take a long time to finish. Shouldn't I use a size 10? And they say stitch in a Stockinette stitch?? Shouldn't I just use a regular garter stitch since I want to felt?? And doesn't Stockinette stitch curl into a tube if I'm making a scarf??

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm new at knitting and of course I want to see results quickly and I don't want to waste time.

Jan in CA
03-13-2011, 12:36 AM
Stockinette does curl, but since you'll be braiding it it doesn't really matter. I don't see why you can use a bigger needle and garter stitch. Be aware though that when you change the gauge and stitch it will affect the size and how it looks at least a little bit.

suzeeq
03-13-2011, 11:02 PM
Sure go up in needle size, and the stockinette won't matter. After braiding and felting it probably won't roll.

Mirl56
03-14-2011, 09:33 AM
I think size 10 needles would be better. Other patterns w/that yarn that are not felted use size 8. When felting, you want the knitted 'fabric' to be big and loose.

Felted stockinette and garter will look different. If you're happy w/how felted garter looks you can certainly use garter stitch.