PDA

View Full Version : (Almost) FO - Lace Scarf

ZoeS
03-14-2011, 09:39 AM
"Liesel" on Ravelry:
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/liesel

My first real lace project wherein I made zero mistakes from start to finish (well, I made mistakes, but fixed them as I went along). Also my first time blocking (it's not perfect, I know...).

The wait for it to dry thoroughly is a long one indeed.

http://zoestevens.smugmug.com/Hobbies/yarn-and-knitting/scarf/1215935334_DSzUx-O.jpg

http://zoestevens.smugmug.com/Hobbies/yarn-and-knitting/scarf2/1215935368_ATpQh-L.jpg

JudyD
03-14-2011, 10:23 AM
Absolutely beautiful work!

:cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Judy

kmaclean
03-14-2011, 01:08 PM
Beautiful work .... I have that pattern bookmarked as well! I love the color you chose! :yay:

Slim
03-14-2011, 01:54 PM
Wow! That is just gorgeous! I love the pattern, and the color you chose is my favorite. Lovely, lovely work.

ZoeS
03-14-2011, 02:04 PM
Thanks! I'm really happy with! The yarn was just something I got so I could get free shipping with my Hiya Hiya sets. I didn't much attention but it turns out it's 50/50 merino/silk with that lovely variegated blue.

ArtLady1981
03-14-2011, 08:58 PM
Oh it's beautiful, Zoe! I love the Liesel scarf pattern! I just knit a Liesel a few months ago! Yours is just wonderful! Way to go!

Wanda Witch
03-14-2011, 10:18 PM
Absolutely fantastic. I am getting an 'itch' to try something similar myself. Beautiful scarf.

ZoeS
03-14-2011, 10:32 PM
Absolutely fantastic. I am getting an 'itch' to try something similar myself. Beautiful scarf.

Thank you!

What's stopping you? :) Contrary to the pattern instructions, I didn't find that it was easy to memorize the pattern. I consulted it at every single row. Also, if you do this scarf (or something similar), count your stitches after every single row that's not just a plain knit/purl. It'll save you much trouble!

KatzKnitter
03-15-2011, 01:07 AM
How did you block that? I'm making a scarf and can't imagine how I would block anything that long.

Debkcs
03-15-2011, 04:03 AM
I love it also. Funny thing is, it's my next project.

As far as blocking it, I'd use my queen size bed, that way, the dog won't take a nap on it.

ZoeS
03-15-2011, 09:54 AM
I bought a bunch of rubbery floor tiles, 2' x 2' ($7 for four of them). I connected four of them to make an 8' x 2' length which was more than enough. I used 300 pins and I could have used more, btw. Get 500 to be safe.

Next time I'll have to do it in the bedroom and close the door. I woke up this morning to my cat pulling the pins out!

margz3
03-15-2011, 04:28 PM
Very, very pretty!! :thumbsup:

salmonmac
03-15-2011, 06:16 PM
Absolutely perfect! It's beautiful work in a lovely color. Good for you. What's next?

ZoeS
03-15-2011, 11:34 PM
Absolutely perfect! It's beautiful work in a lovely color. Good for you. What's next?

Thanks! I took it off the blocking mat today and it's great. Can't wait to wear it!

I'm currently working on my own rendition of Rose Tyler's Boomtown scarf from Doctor Who :)

Zoe

Antares
03-16-2011, 04:23 PM
Wow! You inspire me. I have not even come close to getting the hang of lace knitting, but I'd love to make a scarf like this.

Hmmm . . . maybe I should start with a lace hanky or dish cloth first, though!

Greeeeat job!

ZoeS
03-16-2011, 05:39 PM
Wow! You inspire me. I have not even come close to getting the hang of lace knitting, but I'd love to make a scarf like this.

Hmmm . . . maybe I should start with a lace hanky or dish cloth first, though!

Greeeeat job!

Thanks! Just do it! The stitches are all pretty easy as long as you know K2tog, yo, etc. Any new ones you can just google (as I had to do for s2kpo, but it was easy once I read how to do it). There's no secret to it :)

Breezed
03-16-2011, 07:03 PM
Beautiful

Doublereeder2
03-16-2011, 09:16 PM
Gorgeous knitting! I love this pattern - and your scarf is so lovely. :inlove:

IndyPurl
03-19-2011, 03:36 PM
A month ago I would have said I would never be ready for lace but I keep checking this thread when there is new activity, see your photos all over again and think how I really need to try something like this.
Gorgeous work!

zara
03-20-2011, 09:26 AM
I tried lace not long after learning to knit. It's not too difficult. I made the branching out scarf on knitty.com. It was a nice easy 1st lace project.

ZoeS
03-20-2011, 02:50 PM
A month ago I would have said I would never be ready for lace but I keep checking this thread when there is new activity, see your photos all over again and think how I really need to try something like this.
Gorgeous work!

Thanks! You should give it a shot! It's a lot easier than you'd think. As long as you follow the pattern (mostly just k, p, k2tog, yo, ssk), you're gold! If you can't do a stitch just check out the videos on this site and then the pattern does the work for you.

hyperactive
03-21-2011, 05:48 AM
Hi!
this is a beautiful Liesel!
I have the pattern printed, as well, and some day I will make it for myself. But your's looks so good, that my intention will move up on the scale a bit :o)

twoxover
03-22-2011, 11:20 AM
beautiful! i envy your talent.

offgridgirl
03-29-2011, 06:31 PM
Very nice and lace pattern....I feel your pain :) I love this stitch and used it in a pair of socks. Love the color...

On the blocking...Did you use a towel under and over the work? or put the iron on the work and steam?? I got a piece that I need to do and I'm scared... Any hints??

TrueIconoclast
03-29-2011, 07:50 PM
OMG that scarf is so beautiful! Wonderful work!

dturner
03-29-2011, 09:17 PM
It's beautiful!:cheering:

ZoeS
03-30-2011, 03:10 PM
Very nice and lace pattern....I feel your pain :) I love this stitch and used it in a pair of socks. Love the color...

On the blocking...Did you use a towel under and over the work? or put the iron on the work and steam?? I got a piece that I need to do and I'm scared... Any hints??

Nope, I didn't use a towel other than to roll it up after I first washed it to get out the excess moisture. Putting it on a towel will cause it to try more slowly than just putting on rubber which cannot absorb water.

I didn't use any steam, although if you are working with acrylic you will need to use steam to "kill" the piece when you block it.

I've worn it a few times now and it has kept its shape and drape beautifully!

Thanks all!

Zoe

lulubell
03-30-2011, 04:58 PM
Zoe, it is truely beautiful!

CoolWool
03-31-2011, 08:31 PM
OMG - Gorgeous!!! I've been working on a lace crop top now for oh... a month and I think I'm on row 17. Lace is DIFFICULT. I'm really impressed that you managed to fix all the mistakes. It looks perfect!