PDA

View Full Version : New to Knitting

Elsatia
03-15-2011, 05:09 PM
I woke up the other day and decided to learn how to knit. I went out and purchased a kit called 'I Taught Myself Knitting'. Bad idea. The ends of the needles fell off, their are rough spots on them, the dvd didn't play in my dvd player. I had to take it to the library to watch on the computer and found that most of the video was shot from the front of the womans hands. The problems with it go on and on. I was so frustrated I was going to give up. But I really want to learn how to knit.
I found this website and started watching the tutorials and they are just wonderful! :) I like how the videos are from 'behind' the hands to see how it's done!
Can you please direct me to the newbie spot. Which will tell me what sort of knitting needles, handy items and yarn that are recommended for starting out. Preferably good quality.
Thank you!

salmonmac
03-15-2011, 05:56 PM
What a wonderful way to wake up! If you look at the thread under How to Questions, Interested in Knitting there are lots of suggestions along the same line. Happy knitting!

Elsatia
03-15-2011, 07:30 PM
Is interested in knitting, a sticky?

Elsatia
03-15-2011, 07:32 PM
I mean, is their one spot on these forums to find out everything one needs to know or to purchase to begin to knit?

Jan in CA
03-15-2011, 07:44 PM
There isn't really one spot for all info, but we can help you.

There are videos at the tab on the top of the page. There is also more help here if you need something to print out. I just put the main link, but if you can't find something let us know.
http://www.knitpicks.com/Tutorials/Knitting_Tutorials.html

I recommend a US size 8 or 9 needles, a smooth light colored yarn (not novelty yarn) and patience. It takes practice to learn how to knit, purl and get even tension.

Elsatia
03-16-2011, 07:19 AM
Thank you!

In my sewing box from long ago I found a pair of knitting needles and have been trying to knit with them. They are only 5 1/2" long needles that have a 12" plastic cord attached. They are rounded on the tips which is making it very hard. Patience is something I need with those.

I'm going to the store this week to purchase new kitting needles and some yarn. I was wondering if their is anything else specific I would need as well.

crazykntter83
03-16-2011, 12:29 PM
When you're first learning to knit, all you really need is some needles, yarn, and the lovely videos from this site. Later on, you might want to invest in things like cable needles, stitch markers, double pointed needles, ect. But right now all you honestly NEED is yarn, needles, and a source as to how to make the stitches. Good luck!!!

Jan in CA
03-16-2011, 12:43 PM
The needles you described are probably circular needles which you can use for knitting in the round or straight. Most of them have pointier tips now though so they are easier to use. I learned on straight and then went to circular, but you can certainly learn on circs. That's all I use anymore.

The other things you may may want, but do not need for learning are stitch markers, small scissors, yarn needles, a few crochet hooks for picking up dropped stitches...

suzeeq
03-16-2011, 04:15 PM
You can use those to learn on, you don't have to use them only for knitting in the round. Many of use don't use straight needles anymore, knitting everything on circs. You might want to get a needle gauge to find out what size your old needles are, if they're an 8 or larger they can be used with most medium weight or thinner yarns; a rounded tip shouldn't be too much of a hindrance for now.

Breezed
03-16-2011, 06:30 PM
Welcome, I learned how to knit with only the videos and forum here at Knittinghelp.com and also on youtube.com when I needed another view or couldn't find it here. Youtube.com is amazing for tutorials because there are so many to choose from. I still consider myself a beginner but I'm moving right along and love it more and more all the time. It's definitely a hobby I will never give up.

JLynn
03-18-2011, 07:20 PM
I have to agree I found everything on you tube on how to knit before I found this site, but this site does have some very good videos to learn from. :knitting:

ArtLady1981
03-18-2011, 07:50 PM
If you are interested in purchasing a pair of circular needles that are good quality, not too round on the tips, and not too expensive...get yourself a pair of KnitPicks Harmony needles. They can be purchased needle by needle, piece by piece...and by the set with almost all the sizes. Depends on your budget.

ALSO, the yarn at KnitPicks isn't too expensive, and all of it is great yarn.

CLICK HERE (http://www.knitpicks.com/needles/knitting_needles.html)

I have their Harmony (the swirl-multi-colored wood, and the nickel plated OPTIONS...they are both wonderful) and would recommend them to a new knitter. Wood is easier for a new knitter to control IMO.

They have a TRY IT Needle set (http://www.knitpicks.com/needles/TRY_IT_Needle_Set__D90589.html?intmedid=NeedleHome-SubAd-TINS)that has all three types of their interchangeable needles in the set: Harmony, Nickel and Acrylic. $19.99

janae1987
03-22-2011, 01:22 PM
when i taught myself how to knit almost 2 years ago, other than yarn and needles - i needed patience....and LOTS of it.

the most important thing is to remember that learning any new skill takes time. just be patient and try not to get discouraged. we are all here to help!

happy knitting! :knitting: