PDA

View Full Version : steel or bamboo?

Darby
03-16-2011, 01:28 AM
Which do you like better - steel needles or bamboo?

Jan in CA
03-16-2011, 02:52 AM
I prefer nickel plated which is metal I guess. I do use bamboo for DPN though. Try them both and see what works for you. :thumbsup:

crazykntter83
03-16-2011, 03:03 AM
I haven't tried bamboo yet. But I love my nickel plated needles, which I suppose would qualify as steel. I probably should try some different types of needles, now that I think of it. :)

Mazie
03-16-2011, 11:32 AM
Both -- it depends on what I'm knitting. Metal for most things and Bamboo for socks.

ZoeS
03-16-2011, 01:05 PM
I've tried all sorts of needles and my favourite is metal. I won't know with anything else now (well, I suppose if I were in an apocalypse situation, I would).

fatoldladyinpjs
03-16-2011, 07:10 PM
I have a set of Harmony wood interchangeable needles and don't know how I ever got along without them. Clover bamboo needles are good, too, but I've gotten spoiled on the Knitpicks pointy tips. It makes knitting so much faster. I think I read somewhere that you can't take metal knitting needles on a plane but you can take wood and acrylic ones.

TEMA
03-16-2011, 10:05 PM
I have nickel plated in my circulars. My dpns are metal, I guess... the grey things...
But the needles that I really love are my plastic and colourful straights... size 7 and short. Long needles get in my way; the short ones don't and I seem to be able to knit faster and purling is not a pain. ;)
What I love about the nickel plated ones is the sound they make as I knit... so soothing and solid...
TEMA:knitting:

Wanda Witch
03-16-2011, 11:13 PM
Love my nickel-plated KnitPicks and also their Harmony needles. I have not tried bamboo as I am so satisfied with the sharp points on the KnitPick needles I don't see a reason to change, at least not at the time being. I suppose it is whatever feels best for the project at hand.

Darby
03-17-2011, 12:13 AM
I should have titled it "metal" LOL!! I don't know why I said steel. oh well.... I think you all got the idea :)
I'm knitting up a cardigan now and the yarn is an acrylic/cotton blend and I didn't like using my bamboo needles (while doing swatch). So, I tried a pair of metal ones and LOVE them with this yarn. I have just about every size of circulars in bamboo and now I want metal ones!! Except when doing socks. But I can't afford or see doing that big of a switch. I wish I had the money to buy the addi-clicks set! Someone in my knitting group has a set - looks so handy.
I don't have any problems using my bamboo ones using wool yarns.

crazykntter83
03-17-2011, 12:55 AM
Well, the interechangeable set for the nickel plated needles on knitpicks is $69.99. If you were to slowly build on the set, the tips are $5.99 to $9.99. To me, I think that the best deal is just to get the set of needles. But that's just me. :) They're really great needles, and I would highly recommend giving them a try if you really like metal needles. :)

Ellieblue
03-17-2011, 12:06 PM
I too like my metal Knitpicks. I tried one bamboo circular and found that the tips lose their tapered point. I tried to sharpen the points with a pencil sharpener - big mistake - it just splintered.

Sheri
03-17-2011, 02:44 PM
I love addi turbos ... I like Knitpicks also ... not so fond of bamboo anymore

ArtLady1981
03-18-2011, 10:04 AM
I prefer nickel plated needles such as Addi. I always go for metal first.

If my project dictates the use of a wood needle, I go for KnitPicks "Harmony".
They're wood, but not bamboo.

The best bamboo I've ever used is Crystal Palace. They're wonderful.
However, most times they aren't pointy enough for me.

margaret guha-roy
03-18-2011, 04:02 PM
I like steel circular for most things, bamboo is nice for baby items. I did a christening gown.

I am using acrilic at the moment on an ARAN knit. I think the slow going is due the ARAN pattern.BUT i always use circular needles for everything.

TrueIconoclast
03-20-2011, 03:10 PM
Steel/metal plated, by far. Although I do love my pair of bamboo circulars. But I like to knit tightly, and the steel helps to slip those tight stitches off without giving me "diabetic fingertips"....

...and my least favorite? It's not common, but there's a local yarn shop a block away from me that sells cheap rubber-plated needles....they work in a bind, but I have to push so hard that they actually pierce my fingertips (I know because when I try to get my beloved pickled jalapenos out of a jar, my fingertips burn)

MosaicTree
03-21-2011, 06:53 AM
I've yet to try bamboo or Knitpicks so I guess that I'll have to vote for metal! Interesting reading everyone's views in this thread though - and Knitpicks seem to come out near the top again and again.

www.mosaictree.blogspot.com
www.folksy.com/shops/MosaicTree

janae1987
03-22-2011, 01:27 PM
i LOVE LOVE LOVE my KP nickel plated options! i don't think i would consider myself a tight knitter, but i love the way the yarn just glides so easily over the join and the needle. ive used plastic - and hated every minute of it - i like bamboo dpns - and would love to add the full set of harmonies to my collection -

when i first started i used boye aluminum they were alright, but HATED the sound they made when the paint started to wear off - eek!

Quietheart
03-26-2011, 08:37 AM
I should have titled it "metal" LOL!! I don't know why I said steel. oh well.... I think you all got the idea :)
I'm knitting up a cardigan now and the yarn is an acrylic/cotton blend and I didn't like using my bamboo needles (while doing swatch). So, I tried a pair of metal ones and LOVE them with this yarn. I have just about every size of circulars in bamboo and now I want metal ones!! Except when doing socks. But I can't afford or see doing that big of a switch. I wish I had the money to buy the addi-clicks set! Someone in my knitting group has a set - looks so handy.
I don't have any problems using my bamboo ones using wool yarns.

I prefer stainless steel over nickel, and actually thought that is what you meant with your topic LOL
HiyaHiya's are stainless steel, great quality in both fixed and interchangeable circs (which swivel), go down to size 2 in interchangeable (smaller in fixed circs) I find the steel slightly less slippery than nickel but not as grabby as bamboo, so it's the perfect world for me. They are also very budget friendly. They aren't as sharp as knitpicks but they are coming out with bamboo and lace tips this coming year.

hookedonknitting
03-26-2011, 12:13 PM
It depends, sometimes I like bamboo for slippery yarn, but over all I like nickel plated :)