PDA

View Full Version : First row problems

Jolisha
03-17-2011, 01:03 AM
Hi all... I am a beginner knitter and am very discouraged over my first row. It is not neat - looks loose. It doesnt matter if I tighten my cast on row or loosen it im not knitting the row overly loose or too tight - the stitches slip smoothly- I have no idea what I am doing wrong but the first row always looks terrible. Any suggestions?

crazykntter83
03-17-2011, 01:23 AM
It's going to look that way at first. I'm pretty sure it's just your tension. Over time your tension will improve, and it won't look at loose. Good luck! :)

Jan in CA
03-17-2011, 01:59 AM
Getting good tension takes practice. When you're learning it's best to concentrate on learning to make the stitches correctly and teach your fingers and brain a new skill. Just keep going and don't rip it out. :thumbsup:

salmonmac
03-17-2011, 06:01 AM
Often the first couple of rows look loose and a little sloppy but as you add more rows it will tighten up and look better. Jan is right, keep going and concentrate on the sts.
I don't know which cast on you're using but next time you might consider a different cast on. Take a look at Casting On in the Free Videos at the top of this page. Good luck with the knitting and enjoy!

suzeeq
03-17-2011, 09:44 AM
The first row is usually pretty loose, it needs more rows done before it tightens up, so just keep going. If you use the backward loop CO, that will make a really loose and loopy edge though, maybe that's what you mean. So switch to a knit or cable CO and see if that helps, but don't do those very tight to try and compensate.

Jolisha
03-22-2011, 10:54 PM
Thank you to everyone who replied. I realised that my cast on was not correct. I watched a video on how to do the long tail cast on and am so happy now!! Have baby pants and booties under way. Thanks again!!

hookedonknitting
03-26-2011, 10:00 PM
I agree with suzeeq- when I changed my cast on style I had less problems with it being to loose and uneven.

KatzKnitter
03-27-2011, 11:43 PM
Do those initial lessons on some yarn just for practice. Then when you start your first piece, you will have learned the basics already