PDA

View Full Version : freeze ahead dinner ideas

vaknitter
03-20-2011, 10:29 AM
I need some ideas for dinners that I can make and freeze in portion sizes for my MIL. My FIL died earlier this week and he was the reason my MIL cooked...she is not a good cook and she does not like cooking. I enjoy cooking but am not a fan of "one pot" type things so the only dish I can think of that will freeze easily for her is ziti. I would really appreciate some other suggestions. thank you

Jan in CA
03-20-2011, 12:58 PM
I don't cook, but I did some searching. Here's a few recipes/pages to check out. Probably most are one pot meals, but.. :shrug:
http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/food/quick/make-ahead-meal-recipes
http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-0,make_ahead_meals,FF.html

Debbie
03-20-2011, 02:42 PM
You can prepare your family meal plus 1, then freeze a portion of each thing you are serving to take to your mom in law. There are all kinds of freezer friendly containers !
The only thing I can think of that does not freeze well is potatoes that have been cooked in liquid (like stew)

vaknitter
03-20-2011, 09:40 PM
Thank you, I will take a look at those links. My biggest issue is that I am not sure what will freeze and reheat well.
Debbie - so sad potatoes don't freeze well ! One of the things I had decided to make her was beef stew. She lives a few hours away so my plan was to make a few dishes and pack them up for the hubby to take her this weekend.

Debbie
03-21-2011, 08:46 AM
Your beef stew would still taste good, the potatoes will just be a bit mushy. I have never tried it, but you could probably add the potatoes last and not cook them all the way ??
Sending meals wil be such a blessing to her!! Way to go daughter-in -law !!!!!

JudyD
03-21-2011, 12:07 PM
Individual lasagna portions freeze well as do chicken pot pie, chop suey, and any type of soup.

Judy

stitchabit
03-21-2011, 06:54 PM
I have taken a pound of hamburger or ground turkey and made 2 small meat loaves and froze them for meals.

Jan in CA
03-21-2011, 07:07 PM
Oh yeah...meatloaf freezes well.

ETA: Wow..there are a lot of make ahead cookbooks on Amazon. Look up "Make Ahead Meals".

Wanda Witch
03-21-2011, 09:36 PM
Meatloaf is a wonderful idea and yes, it freezes great. Also, one can slice it after cooking into single serving sizes, wrap each one individually and your MIL can take however many she would eat, pop into the microwave and dinner is done. Also, the frozen potato buds from the market are great and make wonderfully easy mashed potatoes. What a lucky lady having a DIL like you.

cftwo
03-24-2011, 10:36 AM
I think I'm a little late coming to this thread, but I wanted to add that most bean dishes like chili freeze pretty well. Breads and muffins freeze well, too. Meatballs. Chicken & pasta dishes. Mini pot pies.

vaknitter
03-25-2011, 06:48 PM
Thank you for all the wonderful suggestions ! My goal is to keep her freezer stocked for at least 3months. My hubby will be going to visit her and I'm sure she will be coming here so each time I would like to send her a few dishes.
Can't believe I never thought of meatloaf ! My hubby loves meatloaf (me not so much) so what a great idea to just freeze slices for her to microwave.