PDA

View Full Version : HI

par52
03-22-2011, 08:03 PM
Hi - I am new to knitting and keep getting messed up when I make a mistake. I'm only knitting and purling but I get "holes". I don't know to fix them. I'm left handed, knitting as a righty. I can't even seem to fix a dropped stitch. I'm so glad to see so many different postings, however I can't possibly read them all. Any suggestions on where to check for advice to my questions? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Jan in CA
03-22-2011, 08:18 PM
What type of color work are you doing? Intarsia or stranded (fair isle)?

Check the video section under tips. There is help there for picking up dropped stitches and other things.

par52
03-22-2011, 09:01 PM
Thanks for responding so quickly. As I mentioned, I;m VERY new to knitting.. I don't know what Intarsia or stranded is. I"'m using a blue acrylic thread on a very basic hat pattern. I've watched the video on fixing a dropped stitch, but I guess I
just need practice. However, I don't know why I get "holes".

suzeeq
03-22-2011, 09:47 PM
Are you dropping sts, or wrapping the yarn around the needle between sts? That makes holes, called 'yarn overs' which is used in knitting lace. If you're doing knit and purl sts on the same row a YO happens by moving the yarn over the needle for the other stitch, but you should bring it between the needles. So first see if you've actually dropped sts or if you're moving the yarn over the needle to change its position. The Tips page has videos on how to fix a dropped stitch if that happened.

par52
03-22-2011, 09:56 PM
I don't think that they were dropped sts, so I'll have to pay more attention to the yarn over. Is that fixable if it's not noticed for a few rows?

suzeeq
03-22-2011, 11:19 PM
If it is a yo, you can work to the stitch above the hole, then drop that stitch down to it. It'll leave a bit of extra yarn where those sts were dropped, but they can be worked into the remaining sts.

fatoldladyinpjs
03-23-2011, 12:06 AM
See the ladies at your local yarn shop. They have beginner classes and will help you individually if you have any questions. I love my yarn shop. I can sit down with a cup of coffee and try out all the new needles and yarns before I buy. They offer to roll the skein of yarn into a center pull ball for me. The owner is very helpful about showing me any techniques I'm not sure about for free.

salmonmac
03-23-2011, 05:35 AM
You can also try using st markers (these can be just circles of spare yarn or store bought markers) to help count sections of your project. Mark off every 10 or 20 sts and count sts after a row. It'll help you see where the problem is, an extra st or a dropped st, before you go too far.