PDA

View Full Version : Sizing questions with a particular pattern

Rags84
03-22-2011, 10:15 PM
So I'm making my second sweater. My first one, despite it being a size large (and that's the size I usually wear), it's a VERY SMALL size large. So, the lady at the knitting store was kind enough to measure me and tell me how many stitches to cast on since that size isn't one listed in the book. She told me once I cast on that many stitches, I should just follow the directions. However, when I got home, I continued to read further into the directions and realized some other numbers will need to be altered too. The knitting store is kind of far so I won't be going back very soon so I'm hoping someone here can help.

Here are the EXACT directions.

With size 7 needle, cast on 78 (86, 94) stitches and work in K1, P1 ribbing for 6 rows.
Note: 78 is for a size small, 86 is for a size medium, 94 is for a size large.

Change to size 9 needle and work in st st until piece measures 11.5" (13", 14") from cast-on edge ending with WS row.
Bind off 4 stitches at the beginning of the next 2 rows.
Bind of 3 stitches at the beginning of the following 2 rows.
Then decrease 1 stitch at each edge every other row 2(3,5) times until 60 (66, 70) stitches remain.

So I'm good up until the last portion where it says:
Then decrease 1 stitch at each edge every other row 2(3,5) times until 60 (66, 70) stitches remain.

Now, those numbers make sense if you cast on one of the original options for the sizes but since she told me to cast on 110, I probably should end up with more than 70 stitches but my question is...how many should I have? I assume I am decreasing more rows since I have more stitches to begin with.

I hope this made sense and someone can shed some light.

Thanks!

suzeeq
03-22-2011, 11:22 PM
On these rows - decrease 1 stitch at each edge every other row 2(3,5) times until 60 (66, 70) stitches remain - you may want to dec 6 times and I think that would leave you with 84 sts. You bound off 4 sts twice = 8 and 3 sts twice = 6 and that's 14. Then if you dec 2 sts 6 times that makes 26 altogether and subtracted from 110 leaves 86.

Rags84
03-23-2011, 12:03 AM
Ok- Thanks. A few more questions.

At first you said 84 but then in the end it came to 86. I assume the correct number would be 86 since that's how it came out in the math?

How/why did you "decide" to decrease 6 times?

Thanks!

suzeeq
03-23-2011, 12:07 AM
Sorry, I came up with 86 first, because I forgot I said to dec 6 times, and changed it to 84 which is right. I just figured an extra dec row in there wouldn't hurt as the other sizes have 2 then 3, then 5.

Rags84
03-23-2011, 12:15 AM
Ok, I just wanted to know if there was some kind of formula you used to know that it's correct to decrease 6 rows.

I guess decreasing 6 rows and ending with 84 stiches isn't going to make or break the end result of the sweater, right?

Thanks!

suzeeq
03-23-2011, 10:57 AM
I don't know of a formula; I just look at the number of sts between sizes and use that as a guide. But the decs go 2 times, 3 times then jumps up to 5 times, so I just figured going up one more time would work okay. When you get there, measure it or hold it up against your body and if you need to dec another time, do that.

Rags84
03-31-2011, 09:07 PM
So I ended up with 80 stitches-- I used some percentage 'trick' to figure it out. Yay.
Now, my question isdo I have to alter the number of stitches for the sleeves too? Im not going to change the lengh, but should I be casting on more because the arm hole (I guess that what its called) is bigger?

Here are the exact directions for the sleeve:

With #7 needles cast on 38 (40, 42) stitches. Work in K1, P1 ribbing for 6 rows. Change to #9 needles and work in St st. At the same time, increase 1 stich at each edge every 8th row 10 times until you have 58 (60,62) stitches,
When sleeve meausre 17.5 (18.5, 19.5 from cast on edge, ending with a WS row, SHAPE CAP: Bind off 4 stitches at the beginning of the next 2 rows. Bind off 3 stitches at the beginning of the following 2 rows. Then decrease 1 stitch at each edge, every other row 2 (3, 5) times. Bind off 2 stitches at the beginning of the next 14 rows until 12 (12, 10) stitches remain.

So, although it would be easier to follow those directions, is it necessary to alter the numbers because of the 80 stitches I am left with?

If yes, would the new numbers be the ones that are bolded- which I HOPE I figured out correctly: With #7 needles cast on 46 stitches. Work in K1, P1 ribbing for 6 rows. Change to #9 needles and work in St st. At the same time, increase 1 stich at each edge every 8th row 10 times until you have 66 stitches,
When sleeve meausre 17.5 (18.5, 19.5)from cast on edge, ending with a WS row, SHAPE CAP: Bind off 4 stitches at the beginning of the next 2 rows. Bind off 3 stitches at the beginning of the following 2 rows. Then decrease 1 stitch at each edge, every other row 7 times. Bind off 2 stitches at the beginning of the next 14 rows until 10 stitches remain.

I hope this made sense. Thanks!

suzeeq
03-31-2011, 11:48 PM
The 80 sts are across the back shoulders right? Since you went up 2 'sizes' for the body, you should do that for the sleeves too or they may be too tight. So you'd CO 46 sts for the sleeves and follow the increase instructions, but you'll end up with 66 sts. Then do the same BO and decs that you did for the body piece so they'll be shaped the same.