PDA

View Full Version : Patterns?

Enx
03-23-2011, 04:18 PM
I have a strange question... I saw a cool cardigan-like thingi in a movie (Chain Letter) and the main character was wearing it. And I reallly like it!

Soo the question is... how hard is it to make the pattern just by looking at a picture?

I have knitted socks, 2 cardigans, scarves but never like this..

I have some pics too.. but "To be able to post links or images your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts." :woot:

RochesterKnitter
03-23-2011, 06:18 PM
Well, this kind of thing can certainly be accomplished. As for how difficult it is, that will depend on your knitting skills, ability to visualize things in 3-D, and math skills (you'll have to apply a yarn/gauge to your creation).

If you have some pictures of what you want to make, I suggest looking for some patterns with similair shape/style. Read them over really well and become familiar with the techniques used (bottom-up, top-down, pattern, edges etc). Then either start adapting those patterns, or applying the techniques to your own pattern, to make the cardigan you desire.
Once you get something started, pattern-wise, you could certainly head to your LYS for some help in tweaking things from either the shop staff or other knitters who are just there browsing.

suzeeq
03-23-2011, 10:03 PM
Yes, find patterns with a similar shape and pattern stitch and they could be adapted into what you want.

Enx
03-24-2011, 04:59 AM
Thank you both for the reply :hug:

I will have a try then :knitting:

Yeah the thing is.. I have a sweater that I stared about 4 years ago but still waiting for me to finish it :(.

So I hope I'll finish this one :woohoo:

Enx
03-24-2011, 05:00 AM
Here are some pics of it!

I think I have some similar patterns somewhere... I have to look them up!

https://picasaweb.google.com/enku182/Kudumid#5587371593038821106

fatoldladyinpjs
03-24-2011, 10:21 PM
I just saw a sweater pattern generator. You put in the type of sweater you want, the yarn weight you want to use, and the size and it automatically gives you a pattern. It's at the top of this web page.
http://www.knittingfool.com/pages/sweater_wheel.guest.cfm