PDA

View Full Version : A new type of tree or fungus????

offgridgirl
03-28-2011, 10:55 PM
So the weather has finally broken and it was sunny over the week-end and today. I did some clean-up and came across this interesting tree!!

What do ya all think?? DO I have a new species of tree or a fungus??:roflhard: :rofl:

Jan in CA
03-28-2011, 11:50 PM
:zombie: Or maybe a really large kitty has been sitting in your tree and shedding? :lol:

offgridgirl
03-28-2011, 11:57 PM
Yup a possibility but think Bigger! :mrgreen:

fatoldladyinpjs
03-29-2011, 09:36 AM
Do you get cicadas emerging in your area? On the East Coast of the US they come out and breed every 18 years and then go underground again. This looks like the cocoons or whatever you call them that I saw on the trees in Pennsylvania back in 2002 when they were breeding. Any cicada alerts? Should be something on the news about it. They have a mating call similar to a cricket chirp but longer lasting and deafening. Millions of them emerge at one time looking for mates.

I don't know what they do in Canada. You'd have to make a few phone calls. Here in the US, we can call the local Department of Agriculture. They'll have a guy who's an expert in trees come out and look at it for free. He would tell you exactly what it is and how to get rid of it. If it's some kind of blight that may spread to other neighbor's trees, they'll want to know about it.

Here in Wisconsin, we've had problems with the Emerald Ash bore. My city has replaced all the ash trees with more resilient maple trees at the city's expense. They're cautioning everyone not to transport leftover firewood used while camping home so the bore doesn't spread.

offgridgirl
03-29-2011, 11:48 AM
Yes, we do have a Min of Environment who will send out someone to look at disease trees, for free. We have a very dangerous beetle that is destroying pines and now has moved on to fir trees. Not a good thing.

However, this is for funny.:) My horses are shedding and one of them is rubbing on any surface,she can find....there are clumps on posts, trees, windmill wires and in the grass where she rolls. It's just shocking to come across clumps of white hair in weird places..:rofl:

kittykins
03-29-2011, 01:30 PM
That is so funny! Looks like your horse has found the perfect scratching post. Beautiful white horse by the way. Jeanie

Jan in CA
03-29-2011, 01:34 PM
:roflhard::roflhard::roflhard:

fatoldladyinpjs
03-31-2011, 12:19 AM
Duh. Horses. Okay. *Looking at the time I wrote my last post* Too early in the morning and b.c. (before coffee). Looks like Bigfoot trees. Yeti. Sasquatch.

KatzKnitter
03-31-2011, 04:01 AM
The cicadas do that in July or August.

I thought it was runaway fiberfill.

MoniDew
03-31-2011, 11:17 AM
The cicadas do that in July or August.

I thought it was runaway fiberfill.

yeah, me too! I thought she was just doing some decorating with roving... it kind'a is!! can you spin pony/horse/foal/mule hair??

offgridgirl
03-31-2011, 12:58 PM
yeah, me too! I thought she was just doing some decorating with roving... it kind'a is!! can you spin pony/horse/foal/mule hair??

I would think you could. Maybe one of the experts could chime in for next year. This pony gets the best coat and we did have it in a 5 Gal bucket for a while. I would be willing to collect it, if someone wants to try??:cheering:

wellslipmystitches
03-31-2011, 01:34 PM
Yes, MoniDew, I suppose you could spin "pony/horse/foal/mule hair??" But wouldn't those poor animals get terribly dizzy and fall down?!!?

But, serially now - hair from ungulates would be much too coarse to use in knitting methinks. A couple hundred years ago it was used for stuffing furniture and some mattresses that were used on rope beds. I think it's still used for braiding into rope.

Offgridgirl might look into collecting the white mare's hair and contacting someone who's learning to make bows for stringed instruments. The very best bows are made with white hair from northern horses (we're talking Mongolia and norther). They use mane and tail hair and a 32" L. hank that's bundled and tied sells for upwards of $200. They won't use just any horse hair.
Jean

Jan in CA
03-31-2011, 02:10 PM
You might also offer it to a local college/university ceramics department. It makes beautiful pottery. I used it last summer when we did a pitfire and was amazed at what it could do! I'm not sure if there is a specific type like only tail or whatever, but it's worth asking. Here's a few pots where it was used. The black lines are from horse hair.
http://www.windymesapottery.com/Gallery.html

offgridgirl
03-31-2011, 04:54 PM
Wow!! Very cool!! What a unique technique to use on pottery. There are lots of potters on island and I could ask and see I can try this. hummmm..:cool:

offgridgirl
03-31-2011, 05:01 PM
They use mane and tail hair and a 32" L. hank that's bundled and tied sells for upwards of $200. They won't use just any horse hair.

Yes, this used for a lot of things and is the most precious as the horse needs it for wacking flies in the summer. It takes 5 years to grow a tail of full length. I have been growing my horse's tail for 8 years.:)