PDA

View Full Version : Changing the way I knit (and purl)

Antares
03-30-2011, 07:26 PM
I have been knitting (that is, trying to master knitting) for about 8 years now. But silly me, I've only stuck with one "way" of knitting (the traditional continental method). Perhaps because of my crochet background (or not?), I tend to strangle the yarn tension-wise. That has meant it's often very difficult (not to mention time-consuming) trying to slide my needle into the yarn loop while it's on the needle.

Today, in an attempt to fix a completely unrelated problem (uneven tension when I purl vs. when I knit), I finally watched the videos on this site about purling in different ways. One method, the "Combined Purling Method," really caught my attention because I had knitted the whole front side of a sweater using an incorrect form of Combined Purling without even realizing it and it went very quickly (plus, my stitches were very even, but since they were technically "wrong," I frogged the whole thing and started over).

After watching that video, and going to the recommended link which had more information, I'm now thinking: OH! MY! SQUASH!!!! This is SOOO much easier than what I've been trying to do. Why didn't I watch these sooner?

With this method, I have much less hand fatigue, my stitches are almost perfectly even, and I have no problem sliding the needle in where it should go.

So, take it from a slow learner--watch a few of these basic videos to see if any of these methods might help you, too!

cacunn
03-30-2011, 07:51 PM
Everyone needs to find the method that works best for them. I have found that Portuguese Style of knitting to be very easy. I have also found that the tension is better, for me than other methods.

suzeeq
03-30-2011, 09:55 PM
A lot of crocheters tend to 'grab' the yarn with the needle the same way as with the hook and the yarn is wrapped around the needle 'backwards'. It will make for tight sts unless you knit or purl into the back leg of those sts on the next row. An easy way to think of it is into the 'leading' leg, the one closest to the tip.

So glad you found an easier way to knit rather than struggle with tight stitches.