PDA

View Full Version : Do I have to wind yarn from skein?

fruitofthewomb
04-01-2011, 11:09 PM
I am a new knitter and just bought 3 new skeins of Cascade 220 at the Goodwill today for under $10. Do I need to learn how to wind it up into a ball or can I just start using it? Thank you for your help!

fatoldladyinpjs
04-01-2011, 11:43 PM
I think it's your own preference. Most skeins pull out from the center and that's the one you would use. The only time you would really have to wind it up is if it's an expensive wool yarn that comes in a hank. I'm not sure what the word for that is. My local yarn shop winds it up for me on their knitting winder. With all those little kids, you're not going to have time to do it. There's a little trick I can suggest. Put your working yarn in one of those plastic shopping bags that you get from the supermarket. Put the working end of the yarn through one of the handles. Tie both handles together. This keeps your yarn clean from dirt and pet hair. Your yarn from the center of the skein will easily pull through the handle as you knit. When I end my knitting session, I untie the bag and put my needles and the knitting inside the bag. The needles won't get lost. This makes your current project easy to take along with you if you knit outside your home.

suzeeq
04-01-2011, 11:44 PM
That usually comes in a centerpull skein, so you can just start using it. The only yarn you really need to wind in a ball is when it comes in a hank, a large loop of yarn.

N0obKnitter
04-03-2011, 07:36 AM
I am a new knitter and just bought 3 new skeins of Cascade 220 at the Goodwill today for under $10. Do I need to learn how to wind it up into a ball or can I just start using it? Thank you for your help!

Score!!! :woohoo:

Jan in CA
04-03-2011, 12:46 PM
Plain wool Cascade 220 is usually in a hank so yes, you'd need to wind it. Check the photo attachment to see if yours is like that.

I usually buy it from my yarn store in a hank so they wind it, but obviously that's not an option from the Goodwill. If you don't have a ball winder then you can wind center pull balls yourself. Here's the method I use. -
http://www.knittinghelp.com/apps/flash/video_player/play/163/1 (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/../apps/flash/video_player/play/163/1)