PDA

View Full Version : Tangled Hell!

Crycket
04-02-2011, 02:20 PM
Oh...Just a rant really. I was knitting a project...that I wasn't 100% on doing anyway...but I made a little, and yet HUGE mistake. I missed two rows, resulting in the whole thing being VERY off. Of course, looking back on it again, I made yet another rather large mistake when counting garters...(I hate patterns that make you count garters rather than just saying how many rows...)

Either way...long story short...I ended up throwing out 2.5 balls of yarn, cause after calculating the yarn I had remaining, how much I would need to start that section all over again, my time, the value of the yarn, and my frustraition lvl, it was just worth it to trash the sucker.

Rant Over...

Jan in CA
04-02-2011, 04:56 PM
Oh no! You couldn't use the yarn for another project..like a simple hat?

A garter ridge is 2 rows so you can figure how out many rows that way and you won't have to count ridges.

Crycket
04-02-2011, 05:54 PM
Yeah...part of the problem was, I had divided not multiplied on one of the sides. So, it didn't line up. It is a small project, but there was a bunch of slipped stitches on the side making it three times the work to take it a part.

The yarn is kinda usable, but it is tangled...annoyingly tangled. Plus, it is Patons Brilliance...have you ever worked with that crap. It unravels from any raw edge, to which my answer was to tie tiny knots in the end, that were not helping me with the un winding process....*sigh*

Jan in CA
04-02-2011, 10:00 PM
Oh geez..I would have tossed it, too. Life's too short to deal with that much hassle. :zombie: I will say that my DH loves the challenge of untangling so I often hand stuff to him. :teehee:

Crycket
04-03-2011, 10:16 AM
LOL...me too! Hubby is a math/computer guy, so he occasionally likes the challenge of the "puzzle" my yarn sometimes becomes.

I went back and managed to save about a ball and a halfs worth of yarn, but the other half, was totally unworthy of my time.

linknit41
04-12-2011, 07:27 PM
LOL...me too! Hubby is a math/computer guy, so he occasionally likes the challenge of the "puzzle" my yarn sometimes becomes.

I went back and managed to save about a ball and a halfs worth of yarn, but the other half, was totally unworthy of my time.

I am also one who likes the 'challenge'of untangling yarn!! does that make me wierd? A friend had some gorgeous yarn, about fingering weight, that was dreadfully snarled and i told her to let me work at it. It took a couple days, working on and off while 'watching' tv, and ended up winding it from two ends. She was ready to throw it out, but was tickled when i was able to 'save' it. linknit41

RoseFairy
04-12-2011, 07:53 PM
I am also one who likes the 'challenge'of untangling yarn!! does that make me wierd? A friend had some gorgeous yarn, about fingering weight, that was dreadfully snarled and i told her to let me work at it. It took a couple days, working on and off while 'watching' tv, and ended up winding it from two ends. She was ready to throw it out, but was tickled when i was able to 'save' it. linknit41

Weird or not, you're actually not alone. Did you know there's a group on ravelry that's dedicated to untangling yarns? Basically if you have a tangled mess you can send it to someone to have them untangle it for you. Then they'll send it back to you. I'm not sure on the process of that though. But I just remember that there was a group like that, it's called Knot a Problem (http://www.ravelry.com/groups/knot-a-problem).