PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a beginner?

Jimmy86
04-03-2011, 03:52 PM
Well, I am pretty new to knitting. So far, I've done a very simple scarf, of just knit sts, and I am almost done with a hat, consisting of knits, purls, and cables. I only have a few more rows and then the decreases. So, I'm familiar with just those basic sts, and knitting in the round. I'm not sure what my next step/project should be. I would like to learn a different stitch or two, and something that's not incredibly time consuming would be nice. I just want my next project to expand my knitting horizons a little. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

RochesterKnitter
04-03-2011, 04:41 PM
Try making yourself some dishcloths or washcloths (out of cotton). They are small and quick to make. As a result you can try them in a variety of different stitch patterns: garter, rib, seed, with a border, with stripes the list goes on and on. If you don't like the way it turns out, just undo it and try something else. And the ones you like you can keep and use, how practical.

Check out this library of stitch patterns
http://www.knittingonthenet.com/stitches.htm

salmonmac
04-03-2011, 05:25 PM
Here's a link to some free patterns on Ravelry for baby sweaters (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search#query=baby%20sweaters%20free%20patterns&sort=best). They're small, fairly quick to do and you'll learn useful techniques for future projects. If you haven't already joined Ravelry, it's a great source for patterns of all kinds and useful information on yarns and designers. And it's free to join.
All the best on your next project!

suzeeq
04-03-2011, 06:12 PM
What would you like to knit? If you wouldn't use face or dish cloths, there may not be much point to making any, though if you have leftover yarn, you can practice the stitch patterns to learn lace and cables. Same for a baby sweater - if you don't have a child or don't know of one, what would you do with it.

You could make a shrug or bolero for yourself; they're smaller than full size sweaters so you could get the hang of how a sweater is constructed. A top down raglan type one is very easy and you can try on as you go. They start at the neck, increase along the 4 points where the body and sleeves meet, then the sleeves are separated off from the body. You can either finish the sleeves or body first, then go back to the other part.

JLonier
04-04-2011, 02:49 AM
I'm with Suze it really depends on what you want to do next. When I first started knitting I wanted to learn everything I could about lace and what a journey that turned out to be. I made triangular lace shawls for every woman I knew... one for myself last :) Which lead to a love of Shetland lace and from there I went on to try netting... whew! Then I became obsessed with brioche and made tons of lovely fluffy scarfs, wraps, and hats. Now I've jumped into cables and wonder why I was ever so intimidated by them.

It sounds like you've hit the basics and are maybe looking for a challenge? For me conquering the moebius (as taught by Kat Bordhi) was facinating and a hell of a lot of fun. Coming up with my own patterns was even more fun. The same women who loved my lace wraps loved the moebius cowl even more. Especially those who live in places that are cold and windy. It's almost impossible for the wind to snatch a moebius off your head/shoulders.

*sigh* very long winded opinion, sorry. I like to read about fellow knitters journeys so I tend to share my own too :) Good luck. :)

swatterson
04-07-2011, 10:52 AM
This is a really easy button shawl pattern (http://sharonwatterson.wordpress.com/2010/08/29/3-button-shawl-knitting-pattern/), knit as a big rectangle and great for the spring.