PDA

View Full Version : Continental purling wound

JLonier
04-04-2011, 02:02 AM
I'm almost done with a "cable fabric" scarf (my first large cable work) and have found I keep poking under my left middle finger when I'm purling a row. As I said in the title I'm a continental, English, or "picker" knitter, but I've never, ever stabbed under my left middle finger so many times!

My biggest mistake was cutting the nail. Now the needle hits the nail bed every single time. I'm using my knit pick nickle plated options set which are fairly pointy, but the wood ones are more so. Tried putting a little leather finger tip on it, but too akward. Going to go buy a set of teeny bandages tomorrow. Maybe the teeny circle or square ones. Regular size is too big and akward too.

Anywho, just thought I'd share my suffering with those who understand. :cheering: Hubby doesn't get it. And I'll post pics of the scarf soon. It kinda looks like vines crawling all over (green cotton yarn) it so I'm gonna either needle point some leaves and flowers on... knit bobbles to sew on... something.

suzeeq
04-04-2011, 08:58 AM
Ow! My needle comes no where near my L middle finger when purling - maybe find a different way to hold the needle?

RuthieinMaryland
04-05-2011, 02:41 PM
Hi! :waving:

First of, in my opinion, all "owies" that come from the process of knitting are positive owies! :thumbsup:

If you are still having trouble with soreness in the target finger, you might want to get some Liquid Bandage. There are different brand names for this type of product but basically it comes in a bottle with a brush like a nail polish brush and you can brush it over a wound and it will dry to a clear "skin" that will protect the area.

You might have to brush a couple of coats for added protection but I think you'll still find it thin enough and flexible enough to do the job.

Hope this helps! Yes, by all means, let us see the scarf~!!!!!

Happy knitting,

Ruthie :hug:

KatzKnitter
04-12-2011, 02:22 AM
How about one of those rubber finger thingies that bank tellers use to count money?

N0obKnitter
04-12-2011, 01:26 PM
How about one of those rubber finger thingies that bank tellers use to count money?

*coff* a finger condom *coff*

Administrative assistants use them as well, to sort paper/file etc.

I was an Admin ***'t for a buncha years. :)

KatzKnitter
04-12-2011, 02:17 PM
You have an ant in your sig. Shall I kill it?