PDA

View Full Version : Best needle set

ralika
04-06-2011, 12:35 AM
I am wanting to but a needle set of circulars. I like the sharper points and i am a very tight knitter. Which set is recommended to get. Thanks

SandsLVT
04-06-2011, 01:14 AM
I have the Addi Click Turbos. I really like them.

They are smooth and slippery (Though not in a bad way, IMO.) and the set comes in a nice, small case. I knit with mostly acrylic and wool, so the metal needles works well with these yarns. The transition from needle to cable is very smooth and I've never had a problem with yarn catching.

There are many types of circular needle sets and I'm sure lots of other people can chime in about their favorites. I hope you find a set you love!

Jan in CA
04-06-2011, 03:29 AM
Knitpicks Options! LOVE them!

crazykntter83
04-06-2011, 08:34 AM
I must agree with Jan. I would definitely go with Knitpicks options. The needles are nice and sharp, and the metal is nice and slick, which is great for those of us who knit tighter. Whatever you choose, good luck!

fatoldladyinpjs
04-06-2011, 09:00 AM
Knitpicks Options. I love my Harmony Wood needles. They have sharp tapered points which make them excellent for bind offs and decreases. I've heard they're great for lace, but I haven't tried that yet. It's the best money I ever spent and the wood grain patterns are beautiful. The only negative thing about them is that you can't get needles under a size 4. They don't have the sizes printed or engraved on them either. You have to use a knitting gauge to size them. Something to consider when purchasing, but I love mine. I'm just sorry I didn't get them sooner.

KnittingFool53
04-06-2011, 10:48 AM
Yep... I vote for KnitPics Options. I got a few recently and they are worth every penny. Beautiful to look at, feels good and the wood has the right amount of resistance compared to the metal which is slick.

Happy Knitting! :woot:

Wanda Witch
04-06-2011, 10:54 AM
KnitPick Options and/or Harmony needles. I also knit tightly and find both of these easy to use in that regard. Both have really great points too. I have the needle case, put labels on the dividers/holders for the needles and IF in doubt use the needle gauge. I do find the Harmony needles easier on my eyes when knitting under artificial lighting. :yay:

Feef
04-06-2011, 03:33 PM
I love my Addi Click Turbos!! I also had the Knitpick Options, and didn't like them...not because knitting with them was uncomfortable, but because the cables screw into the needles, and consistently the cables unscrewed and I'd have to stop and check that every row.

With the Clicks, that doesn't happen. So find what you like best and stick with it. :)))

Jan in CA
04-06-2011, 07:16 PM
I love my Addi Click Turbos!! I also had the Knitpick Options, and didn't like them...not because knitting with them was uncomfortable, but because the cables screw into the needles, and consistently the cables unscrewed and I'd have to stop and check that every row.

With the Clicks, that doesn't happen. So find what you like best and stick with it. :)))

If you use a piece of the grippy shelf liner that doesn't happen. I've never had it happen once since I started using them with the tightening key. The addi clicks are nice needles, but much to pricey for some of us. :/

Wanda Witch
04-06-2011, 08:54 PM
If you use a piece of the grippy shelf liner that doesn't happen. I've never had it happen once since I started using them with the tightening key. The addi clicks are nice needles, but much to pricey for some of us. :/

I have never had one of the needles come loose with the tightening key. They always have been very secure. As far as the Addi needles go have several pairs and they do not have the nice points the KnitPicks do and that is for both the Option and Harmony needles. I have expensive Addis I don't even use - and the cables are waaay too thick. Just my opinion. Will not even try the Addi Clicks as you have to buy the whole set. To each his own.

saracidaltendencies
04-06-2011, 10:04 PM
Another vote here for KP Options Harmony needles, I love my set! I've never had a problem with the cables coming loose either when using the tightening key and a grip pad...

Howdovely
04-06-2011, 10:09 PM

I had that keep happening too, until I noticed the little hole and the little tightening thing that went in that hole to screw it a little tighter. Havent had them unscrew since! I LOVE them!

RuthieinMaryland
04-07-2011, 07:18 PM
Knit Picks Options! I have the nickel plated set and they are wonderful. Using the tightening key and a piece of shelf-liner grippy stuff (as Jan mentioned) works wonderfully for tightening the needles on the cables. I've never had a problem with them coming loose when I've done that. I keep a piece of the grippy stuff with a little tightening key woven through it right in the pouch with my needles so it's always handy.

Good luck. Let us know what you pick!

Ruthie

ralika
04-07-2011, 10:25 PM
what kind of grippy paper not sure what you guys are talking about

suzeeq
04-07-2011, 11:23 PM
Not paper, rubber jar opener thingies. Or a wide rubber band works.

Jan in CA
04-07-2011, 11:26 PM
what kind of grippy paper not sure what you guys are talking about

Shelf liner that looks like this -
http://www.organizeit.com/grip-it-shelf-and-drawer-liner-taupe.asp

It comes in different colors and the grip texture is sometimes different, but as long as it feels the same it's fine.

jeanmy19
04-08-2011, 09:35 AM
I have also not had a problem when using the tightening key with the Knitpicks needles. I have the Harmony wood set. I also had bought the Addi Natura as I only use wood or bamboo needles. I much prefer the harmony wood sets. In fact I am planning on buying all the sets to replace the others I already have. They have very nice points, which is especially nice for socks and lace. They do offer a trial set of one nickel plated, one wood and one acrylic for about $20 to try them. You may want to try that first. I think you get one of each style and they are in the 6-8 size range.

ralika
04-08-2011, 12:34 PM
i bought the wood knitpicks how do you use the paper? Do you just use it to hold it so you get better grip? I am so excited to get them. Can't wait for them to come in.

Jan in CA
04-08-2011, 01:18 PM
i bought the wood knitpicks how do you use the paper? Do you just use it to hold it so you get better grip? I am so excited to get them. Can't wait for them to come in.

You put the tightening key in the hole and then use grippy stuff on the needle to turn it. You don't want to over tighten so you strip the screw. It just makes it easier to hold. I use them for removing needles from the cable, too.

BTW..they aren't paper. They are more of a rubbery substance.

Breezed
04-10-2011, 09:07 PM
I also have knitpicks options, and I love them. I don't use anything else anymore.

crazykntter83
04-11-2011, 12:10 AM
You put the tightening key in the hole and then use grippy stuff on the needle to turn it. You don't want to over tighten so you strip the screw. It just makes it easier to hold. I use them for removing needles from the cable, too.

BTW..they aren't paper. They are more of a rubbery substance.
Jan, I never thought to put the tightening key in there too. I've used the rubber grip stuff, but for some reason never thought about the key! Thanks!!! :muah:

Jan in CA
04-11-2011, 12:17 AM
Jan, I never thought to put the tightening key in there too. I've used the rubber grip stuff, but for some reason never thought about the key! Thanks!!! :muah:

Oh the key is very important! It also helps so you don't twist the cable in the join area. I use the grip in my right hand and press my left thumb on the key.

kittykins
04-11-2011, 08:15 AM
I just have to ditto what Jan said. The tightening key/tool is very important! A small piece of something grippy, like that rubbery shelf liner, (excellent) helps you get a firm hold of the needle while attaching the cable. So far I only have the TRY IT set, but I love my Knit Pick Options!:thumbsup: When I can go for a complete set I'll get the Harmony,(wood). Jeanie

N0obKnitter
04-11-2011, 10:10 AM
I have the KP Options and the Addiclicks and by far I prefer the Addis...my reasons are:

I like the points on the Addis better (I found the sharp KP points hurt my fingers.)

I vastly prefer the case the Addis come in.

The Addis are made in Germany IIRC, and not China, ie: they are extremely well made IMO.

The only downside to the Addis IMO is the price but, that said, I got a gift certificate to a LYS where I live in Vancouver for my birthday and paid for the rest of the cost with my own $, so I didn't have to cough up $180 all on my own!

One of the employees at the LYS told me that once you go Addis, you never go back and in my experience, it is true. I haven't touched my KPs since and my regular straight needles are decorations now. :roflhard:

Anyway, to sum up, my mom saw me knitting with my Addis and was curious, so I took out my Addi case and my KP options case to show her. I let her look at both and explained why I prefer the $$$$ Addis and she agreed, so we went to a LYS (actually many miles away so not so "local" lol) and she bought Addiclicks for herself. :yay: I did tell her the KP options are much more affordable and the Addis are hella expensive but she decided to fork out more $ for the quality goods.

Jan in CA
04-11-2011, 01:23 PM
I don't dislike addis, but I like the pointy needles better myself...plus the price makes it easy to add to the set. I hated the Options case, but I bought my own that I adore!

The one I got is from a different designer, but very similar.
http://www.etsy.com/listing/51945545/knitting-needle-case-for-interchangeable

Feef
04-19-2011, 08:49 PM

I totally understand, and wouldn't have these needles if I'd had to purchase them myself.

I posted a couple of months ago about my best friend dying of cancer. The Addi's were hers, a gift her husband gave her for Christmas a year ago. He wanted me to have them.

Yes, I'm blessed. :heart:

Mazie
04-19-2011, 10:59 PM
I don't like the Harmony needles, I haven't been able to finish one project without sending at least one piece, needle or cord, back for replacement. Yes, they are pretty but that doesn't cut it when you have a project sitting, waiting for the replacement part. Yes they are nice to knit with but wondering when they will come apart isn't worth it in my opinion.

Mazie
04-19-2011, 11:07 PM
I am going to repeat myself, this is what I just posted, sorry.

I have the knitpicks and have been less than impressed. I've had to send bits back for replacement way too often. I have also heard that the Addis can tarnish and pit. My personal choice after trying the other two is Boye Interchangeable, they have a nice sharp point, about like knitpicks, maybe sharper, but not much. People have complained about the cables being stiff, I don't mind them and for magic loop I used the "hack' from Craftsters.

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=360820.0

and that works really well. There is a person selling the finished 'hack' cables at an etsy shop on Ravelry for a reasonable price. I did the 'hack' myself and it was fun and easy.

I don't have a "joanne's or Michaels near me but have heard you can get them reasonably with their discount coupon. It works out to about 30 or 40 dollars or so I've been told.
Another thing to think about is the length of the needles you like to work with. I have a problem with short ( 4") needles as my hand pushes on the cable where it joins the needle and I have broken one of my knitpicks at this join. I was able to fix it myself but when I bought the Boye needles I got the older set with the metal that bends at that point. Now the needles just fit my hand as if made for me. Other people have complained about the bend in the cables as a problem for them when joining two or more cables together for larger projects. I simply use the 'hack' cables and have no complaint. The older set, with the bend, comes in a brown case and the newer one (without the bend) comes in a red case. I now have one of each and love them.

I have been thinking of offering a new set of Denise in trade for an older (Brown) set of Boye for my daughter, she really likes my sets and I'm not giving them up. :-) I bought the Denise and tried them once and tried to take them back but the yarn shop was going out of business and wouldn't take them.

Hope you find just the right fit for you. Can you visit a local yarn shop and just sit and try some? That might be the best idea.