PDA

View Full Version : Picking yarn

Rain
04-06-2011, 04:00 AM
How do you pick what yarn type to do with your projects?

LOL I tend to go for pretty colors and then have loads of yarn I don't know what to do with.

salmonmac
04-06-2011, 05:30 AM
Most of the time I start with yarn that will give me the correct gauge, then look at the type of yarn that will give the look I want (mohair, wool, cotton, etc.). And then I think going with pretty colors is a great way to make the perfect choice.

SandsLVT
04-06-2011, 01:21 PM
I chose yarn based on gauge, fiber (I prefer natural), price, and color. I really like going to www.yarn.com because they have great sales and a huge selection. Plus, they have excellent customer service.

Jan in CA
04-06-2011, 01:33 PM
It depends..

If I've got the pattern I start with gauge, then fiber type, then color.

If I fall in love with a yarn I look for a pattern that will go with that yarn and gauge.

Rain
04-08-2011, 09:21 AM
salmonmac: I didn't use this method of picking till a few months ago. LOL It was rather hard.

SandsLVT: @-@ OH WOW! So many yarns! So unexpensive!

Jan in CA: LOL Glad I am not the only one guilty of falling inlove with the yarns.

Jan in CA
04-08-2011, 01:21 PM
Jan in CA: LOL Glad I am not the only one guilty of falling inlove with the yarns.

Um no. That's why we have the term STASH. Most of us have a big yarn stash due to the fact that we can't say no to nice yarn. :lol:

salmonmac
04-08-2011, 03:27 PM
Ah, yes, well falling in love with the yarn. That's really one of the fun parts isn't it?

TrueIconoclast
04-09-2011, 12:42 AM
I have to admit, I actually mainly buy yarn based on how many yards there are per skein as compared to other similar yarns. Then I go by color, the warmth, and the drape.

Breezed
04-10-2011, 08:59 PM
I am like you Rain; I tend to go for the eye candy first. But I have learned to think a little more before I buy. Even pretty yarn isn't always good yarn or easy to use. I have been knitting less than a year and already have quite a stash!! Most of it, I have no plans for yet.