PDA

View Full Version : I hate K2TOG!

N0obKnitter
04-09-2011, 05:46 PM
I was attempting to knit this: http://home.online.no/~tu-mell/onerowlacescarf.cfm and after the fourth time frogging it, I threw in the proverbial towel. Most of the problem was the K2tog, I dropped sts a couple of times, had other problems blah blah blah. Thus, I have decided that I hate knit 2 together. With a passion. It is SO fiddely!

RoseFairy
04-09-2011, 06:37 PM
Huh, really? I find k2tog really easy. Are your stitches too tight maybe? If your stitches aren't really tight it should be easier to knit together. Or maybe you're trying to k2tog to close to your needle tips? I know if I knit too close to the tips sometimes the stitches fall off.

suzeeq
04-09-2011, 06:51 PM
If k2togs are too hard to do, you may be knitting too tight - or wrapping your purls backwards. Sometimes I poke the R needle tip into them purlwise and wiggle it a little then k2tog. The wiggling helps loose them up. You might try this item with larger needles too.

Jan in CA
04-09-2011, 07:11 PM
Yeah, are you sure you're doing it correctly..or doing it all correctly? That is usually the easiest one to do.

N0obKnitter
04-09-2011, 08:02 PM
I did the wrapping thing...maybe my sts are too tight...hmm...

fatoldladyinpjs
04-10-2011, 08:34 AM
Try again. Sometimes when I'm just not comfortable doing something, I'll knit a small swatch and keep practicing the same thing over and over. I'll unravel it and do another one until I get it right. What I didn't understand when I was a beginner is that there is a reason for those different decreases. Doing the wrong one will change the look of the piece into something that looks awful. It has to do with the slant of it.

N0obKnitter
04-10-2011, 09:52 AM
Yeah, are you sure you're doing it correctly..or doing it all correctly? That is usually the easiest one to do.

Yarn over is easier. :P

crazykntter83
04-10-2011, 01:39 PM
I know it's frustrating, but just keep practicing, you'll get it. :) It took me 8 years to get the purl stitch, so believe me, I understand your frustration. But I finally got it. So you'll get k2tog. It just takes practice and perseverance. Good luck!! :)

RoseFairy
04-10-2011, 04:59 PM
Yarn over is easier. :P

But a YO isn't a decrease =P we're talking about the easiest decreases aren't we? Anyway, you could try some of the suggestions everyone posted? 1) Loosen the stitches by slipping the right needle in purl-wise I do this a lot if the stitches I'm knitting together were too tight 2) Try knitting the project on bigger size needles I find when I knit with yarn too thick for my needles I end up with tighter stitches 3) See if you are wrapping for the stitches in the right direction wrapping in the wrong direction causes tighter stitches 4) Practice with a swatch when you're trying something new it can be hard at first. I'm sure you'll get it soon and then you'll move onto a new frustration =D

KatzKnitter
04-12-2011, 02:19 AM
I was thinking the other day that K2tog would be easier if you did it through the back loop. Would this make a big difference in the look?

RoseFairy
04-12-2011, 03:16 AM
I was thinking the other day that K2tog would be easier if you did it through the back loop. Would this make a big difference in the look?

Yes it changes the look a lot. If you check the decreases k2tog is a right slanting decrease and k2tog tbl is a left slanting decrease. Plus k2tog tbl twists the stitches around.

suzeeq
04-12-2011, 09:07 AM
It does, but if the direction of lean isn't so important, I was going to suggest it too. And for this pattern I think you can do either k2togtbl or ssk/skp. It'll look a little different, but shouldn't matter too much.

I think you might be knitting way to tight though; with a YO you need to keep it loose instead of pulling tight. That affects the tension on the other sts.

fatoldladyinpjs
04-12-2011, 12:51 PM
When my stitches are too tight, I push the two stitches on the left needle as close to the tip as I can without them falling off. I put my left index finger on the top of the stitches to keep them from sliding off. I insert the right needle tip into the bottom of the stitches and do my k2tog. This gives me a little wiggle room. Also, what kind of needles are you using? I prefer wood or bamboo ones because I need tighter tension. Metal needles make my stitches looser. You might want to try metal needles if you don't use them already.

pbs
04-19-2011, 01:50 PM
I prefer wood or bamboo ones because I need tighter tension. Metal needles make my stitches looser. You might want to try metal needles if you don't use them already.[/QUOTE]

I always thought metal needles made your stitches tighter--that's one reason I changed to wood ones. Do I need to go back to metal?

RoseFairy
04-19-2011, 02:54 PM
I always thought metal needles made your stitches tighter--that's one reason I changed to wood ones. Do I need to go back to metal?

Maybe it depends on the person? But in general I believe more people who knit tighter use metal needles. I know that when I knit using metal needles I tend to knit tighter, to keep my stitches from sliding off them. I use bamboo and wood mainly and my stitches are never tight and I can move them easily, when I knit with metal needles (Usually dpns) my stitches always seem tighter. I might just be snugging up the yarn more to compensate for the slipperiness of the metal though.

Jan in CA
04-19-2011, 03:43 PM

I only use wood when I'm doing something that's very slippery because yarn clings to them more and therefore makes the stitches tighter.

You may knit differently than we do though. If you are comfortable with what you knit with then go for it.